Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

EmilySarah00’s 2017/18 struggle to A*AA (and Oxford, maybe?) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to my 2017/18 GYG Thread! :hi:

A Brief Introduction:

Hi everyone! I’m Emily. So I know I’m a bit late to the party here with this whole GYG thing considering I’m already a month in to Year 13 at this point. But it’s 11:00 on a college night, I can’t sleep and oddly quite fancy writing about myself for once (honestly wish I had this kind of motivation when writing my personal statement but that wasn’t the case.) I hope this blog will somewhat motivate my lazy self to get my act together when it comes to keeping on top of college this year and give you all something to read, if you want to of course.

I also warn you now I’m quite a stresser, I’ll try and keep that to a minimum because I wouldn’t want to bug you with all my life’s troubles, but in the same vein I’ll be keeping it real here. :yep:

Enough chit chat, let’s get started with my GCSE’s:

I really don’t have the GCSE grades of your typical Oxford applicant, and because of this I spent the majority of summer toying with whether or not to try for Oxford or just not bother. But after a lot of thought and encouragement I decided I have nothing to lose.

I guess some of you will want to know what I got won’t you? Well here we are:

Spoiler:
    Show

Mathematics - A*
    Geography - A*
    Graphic Design - A*
    Media - A*
    Science - A
    Additional Science - A
    French - A
    English Language - B
    English Literature - B
    Music - B (1 UMS off an A.. :banghead:)

I also did a Free Standing Mathematics Qualification (FSMQ) that pretty much covered the entirety of Core 1 plus a few aspects of mechanics and stats and got a B (really panicked in the exam as i'd never practised a paper, rookie error right there, always look at past papers kids.)

Now for when things started moving uphill, AS Levels:

At the start of Year 12 I was jugging 4 A Levels with a part time job at McDonalds (regrettable... I know.) By December, after a large stress pile up trying to maintain good grades and work as well I snapped, quit my job and dropped an A Level subject (Chemistry, decided I had no interest in it after GCSE.) After this major meltdown things went so much better, besides being broke of course.

Once dropping chemistry I was left with 3 fabulous A Level subjects:

Mathematics – AQA

Further Mathematics – AQA

Computer Science – OCR

And I also completed an Extended Project based on the life works of Alan Turing and the influence he had.

After a lot of hard work I left Year 12 with 2 AS Levels and an Extended Project, I’ll put the grades and UMS below if you’re interested:

Spoiler:
    Show

Mathematics - A

Core 1 - 82 UMS (didn't balance time right and panicked at the end.)
    Core 2 - 94 UMS
    Decision 1 - 94 UMS

Further Mathematics - A

FP1 - 81 UMS (honestly walked out that exam thinking I failed.)
    Statistics 1 - 93 UMS
    Statistics 2 - 84 UMS (didn't revise until a week before, again thought I failed.)

I'm going to resit Statistics 2 to boost my chances of an A* next year.

Extended Project - A* (actually laughed when I saw this grade.)

And here we are, A Level year:

I am entering Year 13 with the predicted grades of A*AA, at the start of Year 12 I would never have thought I could achieve these grades but now after my rather pleasing AS results I really believe I can do this (yes I'm actually being positive for about the first time in this whole post!)

UPDATE (11/10/17) Found out my predicted Grades actually went off as A*A*A on UCAS which seems slightly more daunting but bring it on I suppose. :dumbells:

So far I have made steady progress with the content of my subjects, cried over my Computer Science coursework a couple of times, put off revising properly for the MAT, written my personal statement and finally sent off my UCAS application (how scary!)

University Choices:

Below I will leave information about the progress of my UCAS application that I will continue to update as and when I receive offers/rejections:

Spoiler:
    Show

Application Submitted: 03/10/17

Choices:

University of Oxford - Mathematics and Computer Science (Lady Margaret Hall)
    04/10/17 - Acknowledgement of Application
    24/10/17 - Acknowledgement from College

Durham University - Natural Sciences (Josephine Butler College)
    11/10/17 - Confirmation of Subject Choices

University of Bristol - Mathematics and Computer Science
    05/10/17 - Acknowledgement of Application
    05/10/17 - Conditional Offer (A*AA)

University of Leeds - Computer Science with Mathematics
    11/10/17 - Acknowledgement from Department
    16/10/17 - Conditional Offer (AAB)

Lancaster University - Computer Science and Mathematics
    04/10/17 – Acknowledgement of Application
    30/10/17 - Conditional Offer (AAB)

Important Dates:

Behold, a list of all the dates that make my stomach churn :cry2:

Spoiler:
    Show

Oxford MAT Exam - November 2nd 2017 (AM) ☑

Oxford Interview / Rejection - Early December 2017

Mock Exams - February 5th - 12th 2018

Further Pure 4 Exam - May 23rd 2018 (AM)

Computer Systems Exam - June 11th 2018 (AM)

Pure Core 3 Exam - June 13th 2018 (AM)

Algorithms and Programming Exam - June 15th 2018 (AM)

Pure Core 4 Exam - June 15th 2018 (PM)

Mechanics 1 Exam - June 19th 2018 (PM)

Statistics 2 Exam (Resit) - June 19th 2018 (PM) (Yay! A clash:bawling:)

Mechanics 2 Exam - June 25th 2018 (AM)

Decision 2 Exam - June 26th 2018 (AM)

A-Level Results Day - August 16th 2018

Key Updates:

Here are links to blog updates I wrote on important / milestone days. :cute:

Tags:

Spoiler:
    Show

plklupu Lemur14 Jpnock xxFreyaWxx RoyalSheepy agaaga1010 zq01 If you wish to be added to / removed from this tag list then just let me know

That’s about all I have to write for now. Hope you didn’t get bored reading all this as I rambled a lot, and well done if you made it this far I think you deserve a medal.

I will continue to post here at least once a week with an update in a mad effort to try and motivate myself. You can also feel free to ask me any questions about anything at all whether that is about my subjects or the UCAS process, I will try and answer every question to the best of my ability.

Bye for now! :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    11/10/17 Update:

So it's my first day of doing this but it’s time to write a summary of what I’ve achieved today.

I feel like my day today has been very much full of maths, I started my day with an hour M1 lesson in which I managed to do 4 sides of A4 completely full of past paper questions on 2D Kinematics, was definitely a hectic hour.

I then completed an FP4 end of topic assessment on applications of vector products. I’m so rusty on FP4 at the moment and the 6 exam questions took me at least a solid 2 hours, I mean fair enough I was trying to present it very neatly but that was still a long time to spend on 50 marks.

Next I finished a MAT paper which I started at the weekend. This was the first full past paper I’ve gone through and done (specimen A if you’re familiar with the papers.) I struggled knowing how to mark the lengthy questions since theres just solutions and no indication of where the 15 marks per question are allocated. But overall I got roughly 59 (I was fairly harsh on myself) which isn’t the best but I’m pleased I actually got a paper done and now I can only improve.. right?

Finally I completed yet another FP4 end of topic assessment, this time on matrix transformations which was one of my least favourite aspects of FP1. I did however manage to complete this assessment in just an hour, even with distractions!

I came out of the day thinking I hadn’t really done much but after writing this I realise I actually was kind of productive!

I also asked my Further Maths teacher what my predicted grade was that was sent off to UCAS to which he replied A*. This took me by surprise because I was under the impression my old target of an A would have been what was sent of. This means my predicted grades are in fact A*A*A so.. no pressure there then!!

What a long update this has been, that is all for now, thanks for reading
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilySarah00)
    11/10/17: First day of doing this but it’s time to write a summary of what I’ve achieved today.

I feel like my day today has been very much full of maths, I started my day with an hour M1 lesson in which I managed to do 4 sides of A4 completely full of past paper questions on 3D Kinematics, was definitely a hectic hour.

I then completed an FP4 end of topic assessment on applications of vector products. I’m so rusty on FP4 at the moment and the 6 exam questions took me at least a solid 2 hours, I mean fair enough I was trying to present it very neatly but that was still a long time to spend on 50 marks.

Next I finished a MAT paper which I started at the weekend. This was the first full past paper I’ve gone through and done (specimen A if you’re familiar with the papers.) I struggled knowing how to mark the lengthy questions since theres just solutions and no indication of where the 15 marks per question are allocated. But overall I got roughly 59 (I was fairly harsh on myself) which isn’t the best but I’m pleased I actually got a paper done and now I can only improve.. right?

Finally I completed yet another FP4 end of topic assessment, this time on matrix transformations which was one of my least favourite aspects of FP1. I did however manage to complete this assessment in just an hour, even with distractions!

I came out of the day thinking I hadn’t really done much but after writing this I realise I actually was kind of productive!

I also asked my Further Maths teacher what my predicted grade was that was sent off to UCAS to which he replied A*. This took me by surprise because I was under the impression my old target of an A would have been what was sent of. This means my predicted grades are in fact A*A*A so.. no pressure there then!!

What a long update this has been, that is all for now, thanks for reading
    Good luck with your Oxford app, and congrats on those amazing predictions :O you might find this thread useful if you want to discuss MAT prep!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sonechka)
    Good luck with your Oxford app, and congrats on those amazing predictions :O you might find this thread useful if you want to discuss MAT prep!
    Thank you very much, the predictions took me by surprise too! I make sure to always keep an eye on that thread for tips and I will carry on doing so

ReputationRep:
    12-13/10/17 Update:

It’s been a rather unproductive past two days, I’ve been worrying so much about my computer science coursework and the MAT that it’s made me physically ill, which obviously isn’t useful when I need to be productive. I get used to this though because it happens regularly.

As for sorting out my issues I’ve procrastinated with the MAT as per usual however I’ve completed the next small section of my computer science coursework and now come to a halt at which I don’t know what best to do to keep moving forward. I shall probably start trying to code my solution in the next few days which will hopefully help me finish the written stage I’m currently stuck on (anyone who does OCR CompSci might relate here.)

I also sat a Mechanics Test today on Kinematics in both 2 and 3 dimensions. I feel it went really well and is about the only thing I’ve done these past couple of days that I’m proud of.

I’m getting impatient waiting for University offers, with still checking track at least once a day. I’m seeing quite a few Leeds offers coming in however I’ve heard nothing as of yet which is slightly concerning. I am however trying to take my mind off it and put it on other things (which probably isn’t helping because I now can’t stop thinking about the MAT, what a vicious cycle!)

Here’s to hoping things improve.

ReputationRep:
    14/10/17 Update:

Felt like I needed to post on here again today to add a bit of positivity to this blog after the downer that was yesterday. I managed to get up at 8am today even though it's a Saturday, shock horror that I didn't spend the whole morning in bed for once! And I've actually had a really productive day today, plus I'm feeling less ill which is always a great help.

So I kick started my day with a catch up session from a class that I missed on Thursday assisting me in preparation for the MAT (It's the MEI MAT preparation online course for anyone interested.) I felt like information from these classes hasn't been going in however I managed to prove myself wrong today as I'll write about in a second.

After a break and some food I turned my phone off and decided I'd commit myself to doing a MAT paper to time. I spent 2 hours 15 minutes on it before getting bored (regrettable because I made a really silly mistake on one of the lengthy questions, which otherwise I would have been able to get through without an issue, and I probably would have found this mistake if i'd properly checked my work.) but anyway I managed to get 36/40 on the multiple choice which was a significant improvement on my first attempt of 24/40. So obviously some of this preparation is helping me! Overall I managed about 67/100 and if I hadn't made the stupid mistake it could have been considerably better. This has given me a bit of hope that maybe the MAT will go okay.

I'm now about to carry on work on my Computer Science coursework which is causing me a great deal of issues at the minute but nevertheless I can't just give up (which is what I did the other day) so now is the time to carry on with it. But first, a Dominos is in order!

I also have some nice plans with my friend tomorrow so that's some incentive to get some work done, or at least I hope!

ReputationRep:
    15-20/10/17 Update:

What a week it has been, feels like it’s gone on forever although I’ve only actually been in college for 2 days due to illness, a bus strike and an inset day.

I started this week with the return off my ongoing strange nausea which was worse then usual for once (spent all of Sunday night wide awake and feeling very terrible.) This resulted in me missing college on Monday and being unable to complete work due to feeling so ropey, which is becoming a rather frustrating problem for me and I honestly hope it subsides once the MAT is over.

Tuesday and Wednesday were much more productive, carrying on with lesson work and MAT prep. Also had a really nice parents evening on Wednesday with all positive comments (besides stop worrying that is.)

I then missed class on Thursday due to a bus strike leaving me unable to get in to college and finally today was an inset day which I spent in bed for the most part, finishing a MAT paper this evening which made it to a grand total of 73/100, and I’m still bitter about 2 of the multiple choice questions I managed to get wrong ahah!!

So due to the missed school as well as coursework deadlines and MAT preparation this upcoming half term is not going to be much of a rest for me, I’m well aware I have my work cut out and will be creating a to do list on Sunday evening. (I’m taking the majority of the weekend off because quite frankly my health needs it.)

Hope you all had a wonderful week, thanks for reading and stay tuned for my rather large to do list coming within the next few days.

PS: Cannot seem to unattach the image I added accidentally but it includes a Snapchat of my thoughts after just completing the 2007 MAT paper.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Universities: Two down, Three To Go!

How could I forget! I also was given a conditional offer from the University of Leeds on 16/10/12 requiring grades AAB (lower than the standard offer woohoo!!) I’m so glad Leeds gave me the reduced offer because otherwise I’d be looking at a full set of either AAA or A*AA offers. An offer of AAB offer seems much more achievable than that of Bristol that I received a few weeks ago which was A*AA. I definitely have a really solid insurance choice now if I wish to take it.

ReputationRep:
    22/10/17 (Super Short) Update:

After a nice relaxing weekend I’m back to it tomorrow, I have 10 days until the MAT and 9 past papers left to do so looks like I’ll be busy!

As for tonight I spent my evening both being productive and procrastinating at the same time by making a very pretty looking to do list for my half term tasks! I actually discovered I have a lot less to do than I anticipated with no extra homework alongside my two rather hefty tasks. I am very determined however to get all of this done by the end of the half term break and will keep you all updated!

Now enjoy a picture of my to do list which dare I say I am rather proud of and has now taken a place on my wall
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    23/10/17 Update - Day One of Half Term Crackdown:

What a day it has been! (Although I haven't actually done that much work:burnout:) So I woke up at half 10 after a well needed lie in and proceeded to catch up with my online MAT preperation class which I managed to miss (yet again, in hindsight I should have said I wasn't available on Thursdays.) So that took just over an hour then I took a short break to have a shower and eat food then went for a driving lesson, which may I add, I absolutely hated. Traffic was awful and roundabouts confuse me to the point where I stall and it's so embarrassing seeing the glares of the people in the car behind you in your mirror aha!

Anyways after that I came home and proceeded to complete the 2008 MAT paper. I really was lacking motivation at this point so I had my phone with me that I kept checking. This probably made the process about an hour longer than it could have been if I'd just none stop worked on the paper but I just wasn't in the mood. So I finally marked it after a break for dinner and got 71/100 so I'm no longer improving! I am hoping with more practice I will proceed to improve though!

After completing the paper I intended to do some work on my computer science coursework of which the next section is due in the day of the MAT (ahhhhh!!) But quite frankly I was tired, fed up and completely not motivated to carry on working, plus it was 8PM by this point and I just wanted a rest, so I stopped. Now I'm just having a nice Facetime call to my friend so I can finally chill out.

Until tomorrow! -Emily x :rofl3:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Are you me a year ahead? I'm in year 12 taking maths, further maths, chemisty and computing but I'd quite like to drop chemistry as I'm not really enjoying it. And my top 3 current uni choices are Oxford, Durham and Bristol although I'll probably be going for the straight maths, rather than maths and computing.
    You're the first person I've found who started with the same options as me :five: Anyway enough about me!
    I'll definitely be following this! Good luck with your MAT preparation and computing coursework What's your coursework project on? I love your poster btw (especially the colours :heart:) To do lists are great (Although mine currently has 38 things on there, and only 1 completed so that shows you how productive I've been...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    Are you me a year ahead? I'm in year 12 taking maths, further maths, chemisty and computing but I'd quite like to drop chemistry as I'm not really enjoying it. And my top 3 current uni choices are Oxford, Durham and Bristol although I'll probably be going for the straight maths, rather than maths and computing.
    You're the first person I've found who started with the same options as me :five: Anyway enough about me!
    I'll definitely be following this! Good luck with your MAT preparation and computing coursework What's your coursework project on? I love your poster btw (especially the colours :heart:) To do lists are great (Although mine currently has 38 things on there, and only 1 completed so that shows you how productive I've been...)
    Whoa, I never found anyone who does all 3 A-Levels I do! I think it must be because computing isn't a very common choice. And as for the uni choices, great minds think alike aye .

My computing project is probably a rather regrettable choice as I am yet to figure out how I'm going to program it, but I've planned to create a program that performs Dijkstra's shortest path algorithm on any network. I've probably set myself up to fail with that one to be honest as it's driving me round the bend!

Thanks for the compliment on my to do list, I'll try not to let me head get too big with that one :giggle:. Stabilo pastel highlighters are where it's at though for the pretty colours! Also good luck with your list, 38 things to do sounds rather daunting!

Do you have a GYG thread by the way? As i'd of course love to follow it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Whoa, I never found anyone who does all 3 A-Levels I do! I think it must be because computing isn't a very common choice. And as for the uni choices, great minds think alike aye .

My computing project is probably a rather regrettable choice as I am yet to figure out how I'm going to program it, but I've planned to create a program that performs Dijkstra's shortest path algorithm on any network. I've probably set myself up to fail with that one to be honest as it's driving me round the bend!

Thanks for the compliment on my to do list, I'll try not to let me head get too big with that one :giggle:. Stabilo pastel highlighters are where it's at though for the pretty colours! Also good luck with your list, 38 things to do sounds rather daunting!

Do you have a GYG thread by the way? As i'd of course love to follow it.
    The 3 are relatively common at my college, but everyone does physics rather than chemistry! Computing isn't terribly common though so that's probably why in your case. Great minds definitely think alike
    I don't even know what that means...it sounds quite cool- although not knowing how to program might be a slight problem, I'm sure you can still get most the marks if it doesn't actually solve the problem though!
    Everyone loves the pastel highlighters atm :giggle: Thanks It's still full...I should probably do some of the stuff on it now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    The 3 are relatively common at my college, but everyone does physics rather than chemistry! Computing isn't terribly common though so that's probably why in your case. Great minds definitely think alike
    I don't even know what that means...it sounds quite cool- although not knowing how to program might be a slight problem, I'm sure you can still get most the marks if it doesn't actually solve the problem though!
    Everyone loves the pastel highlighters atm :giggle: Thanks It's still full...I should probably do some of the stuff on it now!
    I was about to say you'll soon learn what Dijkstra's algorithm is if you're doing D1 but I presume you're on the new A-Level Maths spec and therefore won't do it! What a shame! It may come up in computing though, you're likely to come across it at some point

But yeah I know it's possible to still get an A/A* if your project doesn't end up working but with good reason, and you still evaluate properly so I should be all good even if I can't manage it! Good luck with that to do list!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I was about to say you'll soon learn what Dijkstra's algorithm is if you're doing D1 but I presume you're on the new A-Level Maths spec and therefore won't do it! What a shame! It may come up in computing though, you're likely to come across it at some point

But yeah I know it's possible to still get an A/A* if your project doesn't end up working but with good reason, and you still evaluate properly so I should be all good even if I can't manage it! Good luck with that to do list!
    Yeah new spec, so we won't be doing D1 :sad:
    Thanks Good luck with getting your coursework to work!

ReputationRep:
    24/10/17 Update - Groundhog Day?:

Day two of the half term break and I'm starting to realise how repetitive my routine is going to get by the end of the week. So idiot me stayed awake until stupid o'clock this morning watching Netflix and I suffered the consequences waking up at 10:30 feeling rather ropey, I stayed in bed feeling sorry for myself until about midday at which point I figured I better get started on work.

I went and made myself lunch then proceeded to start the 2009 MAT paper, yet again I did just about everything you shouldn't including checking my phone a lot and working on my bed. After a mess of a multiple choice section (nasty polynomials don't agree with me and there was about 4 in this damned paper.) I was left rather disheartened completing the rest of the questions so I was taking huge breaks between each one in which I was just going on my phone. The whole process literally took me 4 hours and I came out the other end with a rather sad score of 55/100. Admittedly I did give up on the question I left until last which in hindsight I could have done better on if I'd just persevered.

I then debated trying to redeem myself and do another MAT paper in hope it went better but I thought better of it and took a break after my mum shouted at me that I'd been doing work for too long. So I had a hot chocolate whilst watching an episode of gossip girl (I'm re watching it for the third time... :oops:) then went back up to my room and did some file organisation on my laptop ready to do some work after my dinner.

I had about an hour and a half left to do work before compulsory family bake off time so I decided it's about time I do some work on my Computer Science project. For those who are interested I'm currently working on the 'Design' section, I've recently completed all my interface designs and have now moved on to the subsection about Data Structures and Algorithms. In the time I had I managed to start and finish a Variable and Data Structure table, planning out the variables and arrays I'll need to include in my coded solution. I've been putting this off for a while as I thought it was ridiculous to work out my variables before I began programming but once I got started on the table it actually wasn't too bad and I managed to smash it out in about an hour. Object Oriented Programming (technical terms aye ) does continue to confuse me a bit though, but I'm slowly getting there.

Enjoy a picture of my dire working conditions (I really need to tidy my desk and get a comfier desk chair) featuring just about the only questions in this multiple choice I got right and I really unappealing sandwich :facepalm:

Name:  GYG1.PNG
Views: 273
Size:  193.6 KB

2 more things checked off my to do list and now I'm out for the day, and just in time for Bake Off!
    Back to the grind tomorrow!
    -Emily :ciao:

Tags:

Spoiler:
    Show

plklupu Lemur14 Jpnock If you wish to be added to / removed from this tag list then just let me know

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend did the exact same subjects as you last year aswell! What modules are you doing this year? Can't quite figure it out!
    Also please tag me in your blog, hopefully it will be a motivation to be as productive as you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxFreyaWxx)
    My girlfriend did the exact same subjects as you last year aswell! What modules are you doing this year? Can't quite figure it out!
    Also please tag me in your blog, hopefully it will be a motivation to be as productive as you!
    Ah! I feel with my subject combination each subject really compliments the other and there is some content crossover which always helps, so your girlfriend made a fab choice (not that I'm bias at all!)

And yeah I realise I haven't explicitly mentioned the modules I'm taking this year yet. So I'm doing C3, C4 and M1 in Maths and then FP4, D2 and M2 in Further Maths

(Also you're added to the tag list now )

ReputationRep:
    25/10/17 Update - Getting Worse Rather Than Better:work::

Just writing the date I realise today is 2 months until Christmas Day! It's actually insane and rather scary how quickly this year has flown by. Also weird that I may have been rejected by Oxford by this point too... wouldn't that be a great Christmas gift?! Although at the rate things are going I'm expecting rejection more and more by the day.

So, my day began with a 9AM get up as I intended to smash out a whole MAT paper (2010) before heading to my boyfriends house. This really didn't happen as I procrastinated putting makeup on and picking a nice outfit as I thought I was going out for a meal this evening. So after getting myself ready I only managed to get the multiple choice section of the paper done before leaving the house. I was feeling more confident than with yesterdays paper however once I marked it I only got 1 better than yesterdays multiple choice score.

Then went to my boyfriends and had a nice relaxing time for a few hours, I was really looking forward to going out for dinner but in the end circumstances meant I couldn't go and I ended up just returning home and grabbing dinner there. So after a rather disappointing comedown to what had been a lovely afternoon I figured I should get back to the MAT paper and finish where I left off. The lengthy questions were the worst ever, I managed 11/15 on one of them and below 5/15 on the others. This was also the first paper in which I couldn't complete the question 6 puzzle and get full marks which was also disheartening as I've always banked on picking up marks on that one.

So after a few tears I came out with my worst MAT score ever of 49/100. Only just scraping the average overall score of the paper let alone the shortlist score. At this point I've completely had enough, the little hope I had has kind of drained from me and I've been put off doing my coursework for the rest of today now too. All I want to do is drown my sorrows within a large tub of Ben and Jerry's ice cream, but with my sporadic bouts of illness lately, something tells me consuming my weight in ice cream wouldn't be a good idea.

Lets hope things pick up tomorrow because I'd really like something to go well for me soon!
    -Emily x

PS: Who knows where the image on this post came from but I can't remove it

Tags:

Spoiler:
    Show

plklupu Lemur14 Jpnock xxFreyaWxx If you wish to be added to / removed from this tag list then just let me know

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    26/10/17 Update - Half Term Headache:egg: :

A week today until the MAT and when I thought I couldn’t get any worse, I got 40/100… I’m now officially getting below average scores which doesn’t bode well considering my GCSE results. It’s strange that I managed the average offer holder score on the 2007 paper and now I’m getting below the average entrants score by the 2011 paper. At the rate my scores are decreasing I’ll be getting a negative score in the actual exam. :hmmmm:

I started the paper at 1PM and by 3:30PM I was so frustrated with myself I had to just stop. I got my worst ever multiple choice score and couldn’t for the life of me do questions 2 or 3, the only thing that went better than yesterday on today’s MAT attempt was the puzzle on question 6.

With the thought that I still had to do more MAT preparation later in the day and that my blood was already boiling I decided I should really take a break so I went to watch the newest episode of Riverdale. For those of you who haven’t watched Riverdale I really recommend it, it’s one of my current Netflix favourites.

Then I sat through my online MAT preparation class for just over an hour. This week the session was on exam technique for the longer questions which is admittedly something I struggle with (although I’m apparently struggling with the whole thing lately.) I wasn’t really in the mood for the session but we went through one of the questions I’d just really not been able to do and I realised for the most part I was being really silly!

After dinner I did a little bit of Computer Science coursework, working on creating flow charts for the algorithms required in my project. I’m putting off making the flow chart for Dijkstra’s algorithm though because that may just be the most complex flow chart I’ll ever make. If I hadn’t already mentioned this by the way, my Computer Science coursework is creating a tool to assist teaching Dijkstra’s Algorithm.

So now I’m done for the day, I still have a long way to go with both my MAT preparation and Computer Science coursework but I’m making progress (or at least with one of them.) Today I did however realise I have some FP4 catch up to do which I forgot about, so that will be a fun task for the weekend :facepalm:I am finally taking a break tomorrow though, I'm off to a Safari Park (whippee!!) so updates will commence again on Saturday!

Until then,
    -Emily x

Tags:

Spoiler:
    Show

plklupu Lemur14 Jpnock xxFreyaWxx If you wish to be added to / removed from this tag list then just let me know

Submit reply
Updated: November 21, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.