Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

EmilySarah00’s 2017/18 struggle to A*AA (and Oxford, maybe?) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Where's the best place to do Christmas shopping?:holmes:
    Hmm I usually end up at the Potteries shopping centre because it’s close but Manchester Trafford and Liverpool One are my favourites :laugh::ninjagirl:

(Original post by clouddbubbles)
    well done for completing this week!
    seems really interesting

the one day early rememberance ceremony is a bit odd - obviously it’s good as you still take time to remember but it’s not 11/11 :P

i hope you have a good day!
    Thank you very much! :grin:
    Right back at you! :yep:

(Original post by astro-hannah)
    We had a remembrance day thing too and I suppose it’s because we’re not in school for the actual day so they do it as close to the day as possible
    Yeah that’s what I figured, nice to know my school wasn’t the only one that decided to do this.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    We had a remembrance day thing too and I suppose it’s because we’re not in school for the actual day so they do it as close to the day as possible
    yeah probably

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilySarah00)
    Yeah that’s what I figured, nice to know my school wasn’t the only one that decided to do this.
    Yeah it’s nice that they make an effort ☺️
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely in lovee with your blog. This is amazing !! All the besttt and well done on all those uni offers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    Absolutely in lovee with your blog. This is amazing !! All the besttt and well done on all those uni offers
    Thank you lovely! :cute:

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I just did my November mocks and I did pretty bad but I'm still not quite motivated to study harder. How do you get motivated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sturdy swifter)
    Hi. I just did my November mocks and I did pretty bad but I'm still not quite motivated to study harder. How do you get motivated.
    Hi! I can appreciate it’s really hard to get yourself motivated, it’s something I’ve always struggled with along with many others. It’s always good to think of where you want to be and the work you’ll have to do to get there to try and motivate you to get there. This works on both a big and a small scale.

During a single day I’ll think of what I want to get done and write a to do list to try and make me do everything on the list. As for on a big scale I use getting into University as my motivation to try and do my work, because if I don’t reach my target grades I know I’ll be disappointed in myself, and I’m always aware that getting those grades will require a lot of work, that thought is what pushes me forwards.

Motivation is something that’s hard to give advice on but always reward yourself for working too so say once I’ve completed a past paper I’ll give myself an hour of Netflix as a reward :laugh:

I wish you the best of luck, motivation always tends to kick in closer to exam season anyway when you have that “oh my goodness” type realisation. I feel like when this happens is when you’ll feel more motivation but in the meantime I hope some of my tips help. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    11/11/17 Update - ‘Christmas’ Shopping :xmasgrin: :

Today I woke up at 9:30AM to be greeted by Dad holding a McDonalds breakfast at the end of my bed, what a nice surprise! After eating my breakfast I wasted my morning watching rubbish on TV and then some Youtube. :facepalm:

Then after trying to wake myself up by having a shower, I went out shopping for Christmas presents this afternoon, which was one of the things I said I wanted to get done this weekend. I actually went shopping alone for the first time ever, which was way less daunting than I thought it would be and it was a lot more productive than shopping with other people.

I however didn’t actually buy any Christmas presents while I was out (I just looked for some inspiration) but I bought someone a birthday present if that counts?! I also bought a small gift for each of my parents, not for Christmas or anything, just because I was feeling nice, plus a scarf and candle for myself. I wanted to get myself a new pair of black jeans as well but none of the pairs I liked were in my size. :cry2:

Once I got home I started to do my Mechanics 2 homework sheet but somehow managed to fall asleep amongst all my work after doing just one question. I was then only awoken by my parents when it was time for dinner. :laugh:

After dinner it was Mechanics homework attempt two, and this time I was feeling much more energised. I lit my newly purchased Orange and Cinnamon scented candle in my room (Rum Ham would be proud) and got on with the questions. Considering it was Mechanics 2 my work was particularly neat for once, I was shocked I managed to not make any ugly mistakes throughout so I can include a nice picture of the work.

Name:  IMG_7768.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  250.7 KB

I decided that’s enough for today, so that leaves me with a day of Computer Science coursework tomorrow… my favourite! :burnout:

-Emily x

Notification Squad :danceboy::
    Spoiler:
    Show

If you want to be added to or removed from this list just let me know :yep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    x
    (Original post by plklupu)
    x
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    x
    (Original post by Jpnock)
    x
    (Original post by xxFreyaWxx)
    x
    (Original post by AryanGh)
    x
    (Original post by Hannzzaaa)
    x
    (Original post by ithinkitslily)
    x
    (Original post by Lelanor)
    x
    (Original post by Michiyo)
    x
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    x
    x
    (Original post by agaaga1010)
    x
    (Original post by zq01)
    x
    (Original post by Desmos)
    x
    x
    (Original post by wagwanpifftingg)
    x
    (Original post by Cyberspace)
    x
    (Original post by gcsemusicsucks)
    x
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    x
    (Original post by 10cking)
    x
    x

ReputationRep:
    11/11/17 Update - ‘Christmas’ Shopping :xmasgrin: :

Today I woke up at 9:30AM to be greeted by Dad holding a McDonalds breakfast at the end of my bed, what a nice surprise! After eating my breakfast I wasted my morning watching rubbish on TV and then some Youtube. :facepalm:

Then after trying to wake myself up by having a shower, I went out shopping for Christmas presents this afternoon, which was one of the things I said I wanted to get done this weekend. I actually went shopping alone for the first time ever, which was way less daunting than I thought it would be and it was a lot more productive than shopping with other people.

I however didn’t actually buy any Christmas presents while I was out (I just looked for some inspiration) but I bought someone a birthday present if that counts?! I also bought a small gift for each of my parents, not for Christmas or anything, just because I was feeling nice, plus a scarf and candle for myself. I wanted to get myself a new pair of black jeans as well but none of the pairs I liked were in my size. :cry2:

Once I got home I started to do my Mechanics 2 homework sheet but somehow managed to fall asleep amongst all my work after doing just one question. I was then only awoken by my parents when it was time for dinner. :laugh:

After dinner it was Mechanics homework attempt two, and this time I was feeling much more energised. I lit my newly purchased Orange and Cinnamon scented candle in my room (Rum Ham would be proud) and got on with the questions. Considering it was Mechanics 2 my work was particularly neat for once, I was shocked I managed to not make any ugly mistakes throughout so I can include a nice picture of the work.

Name:  IMG_7768.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  250.7 KB

I decided that’s enough for today, so that leaves me with a day of Computer Science coursework tomorrow… my favourite! :burnout:

-Emily x

Notification Squad :danceboy::
    Spoiler:
    Show

If you want to be added to or removed from this list just let me know :yep:
    Oooo where’s the candle from?

ReputationRep:
    hmm what present did you get that person for their birthday? 🤔

ReputationRep:
    Oooo where’s the candle from?
    It was from TK Maxx, by a brand called Stoneglow. I spent ages in the candle isle just smelling all the random ones they had in stock :laugh:

hmm what present did you get that person for their birthday? 🤔
    I got her a bath bomb and a perfume (sorry wasn't for you :rofl:)

ReputationRep:
    12/11/17 Update - A Day of Relaxation :couchpotato: :

What better to do on a Sunday than take the day off (pretty much)? I cannot stress the importance of taking time to have a break, GCSE's, A-Levels, IB's, Degrees, or which ever qualification you're currently pursuing, are all very stressful things. I know how much this blog makes it look like I work myself to the bone and back, and I am admittedly sometimes awful at taking my own advice, but you must always put yourself and your mental health first before sending yourself insane over work.

The only work I did today was organise my notes from the last week into my ring bound folders (including writing my last ever set of A-Level subject dividers :cry2:) and I also made a couple of corrections to my Computer Science coursework which had been suggested by my teachers, completing both of these activities took a grand total of an hour of my day.

So of course there are many more things I could have done today, and something on my to do list for the weekend I didn't even get started on, but I was content with what I've achieved over this past week and decided I should have a well deserved rest. Which is something I reckon many of you reading this should also consider fitting in your inevitably busy schedules.

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend :grouphugs:
    - Emily xo

PS: Wasn't going to post an update today but RoyalSheepy made me.

Are you all putting yourselves first? :innocent: :

Spoiler:
    Show

If you want to be added to or removed from this list don't hesitate to let me know! :yep:
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    (Original post by zq01)
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x

• TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

What better to do on a Sunday than take the day off (pretty much)? I cannot stress the importance of taking time to have a break, GCSE's, A-Levels, IB's, Degrees, or which ever qualification you're currently pursuing, are all very stressful things. And I know how much this blog makes it look like I work myself to the bone and back, and I am admittedly sometimes awful at taking my own advice, but you must always put yourself and your mental health first before sending yourself insane over work.

The only work I did today was organise my notes from the last week into my ring bound folders (including writing my last ever set of A-Level subject dividers :cry2:) and I also made a couple of corrections to my Computer Science coursework which had been suggested by my teachers, completing both of these activities took a grand total of an hour of my day.

So of course there are many more things I could have done today, and something on my to do list for the weekend I didn't even get started on, but I was content with what I've achieved over this past week and decided I should have a well deserved rest. Which is something I reckon many of you reading this should also consider fitting in your inevitably busy schedules.

- Emily xo

Spoiler:
    Show

If you want to be added to or removed from this list don't hesitate to let me know! :yep:

Yayayayayayay! :ahee: Everyone can thank me :wink2:

And you make a point! It's very important to take breaks! I wish the breaks didn't end though :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Even though this blog is all about you doing work, you seem like such a cool person. How do you manage your time when working and everything?

Oh and may I get tagged please? Your writing is comforting and I'm invested!

ReputationRep:

What better to do on a Sunday than take the day off (pretty much)? I cannot stress the importance of taking time to have a break, GCSE's, A-Levels, IB's, Degrees, or which ever qualification you're currently pursuing, are all very stressful things. I know how much this blog makes it look like I work myself to the bone and back, and I am admittedly sometimes awful at taking my own advice, but you must always put yourself and your mental health first before sending yourself insane over work.

- Emily xo

Spoiler:
    Show

I take rests all the time, almost exclusively, does that mean I can get grades like yours?

ReputationRep:
    Yayayayayayay! :ahee: Everyone can thank me :wink2:

And you make a point! It's very important to take breaks! I wish the breaks didn't end though :laugh:
    All the thanks go to you Sheepy! :laugh:

I'm totally wise and logical when it comes to this advice business :smartass:

Spoiler:
    Show

Not really! :rofl3:

(Original post by R2D2IsASith)
    Even though this blog is all about you doing work, you seem like such a cool person. How do you manage your time when working and everything?

Oh and may I get tagged please? Your writing is comforting and I'm invested!
    Thank you, I'll take that compliment! :giggle: I never thought writing was my strong point but maybe I thought wrong? :hmmmm:

As for time management, I'm very lucky as to not have to work a part time job, things become much more nightmarish once jobs get in the way. But I manage my time by making to do lists and prioritising which tasks I must complete and which are more 'if I have the time' type tasks. I also always make sure to use my free periods wisely and plan what I intend to complete in every free, because the less work I have to do at home the merrier!

I've also added you to the tag list now! :yep:

I take rests all the time, almost exclusively, does that mean I can get grades like yours?
    I wish that was how it worked... I believe you'll get the grades though! :rave:

You've got this! (as long as you don't rest 24/7 :teehee:)

ReputationRep:
    13/11/17 Update - Triple Maths Monday :woo: :

Another Monday of triple maths, what a way to start my week. Having said that all my subjects are Maths based and I should probably stop complaining :laugh:

I stayed in bed much longer than I should have this morning, leaving my self next to no time to get showered and ready. Plus I sacrificed food for makeup yet again this morning which is never advised. I then had to get a lift into college as the busses were on strike, yet again! The first lesson I had today was further maths in which we started the Mechanics 2 chapter on Moments. It was really going over my head though not going to lie, so I'm hoping I get better with practice.

Next I had a free where I had a driving lesson which I wasn't really looking forward to after last lessons disaster. We just practised some theory on roundabouts and then went for a drive where I was taken quite out of my way to go and try driving round a double mini roundabout. I managed to almost back-end a lorry on the roundabout so safe to say I don't really like mini roundabouts. But at least I survived... and only stalled 3 times. :facepalm:

After a poor excuse for a slice of pizza for lunch I had double maths this afternoon. We spent the first hour doing even more questions on modulus graph sketching and solving equations involving the modulus, thankfully that was the last lesson we're doing on it now! Then the second hour was spent doing work on the Mechanics 1 forces chapter, specifically friction on inclined planes (honestly I really don't like mechanics!) I also got a homework back which I only dropped 1 mark on which was a nice surprise, the homework also happens to make a cameo on this next picture of my school desk :ninjagirl:

Name:  IMG_7818.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  533.9 KB

So after school I first went out for a Costa (it's an addiction) then watched the next episode of Stranger Things 2 (also an addiction.) The Costa made me feel quite ill to be honest but I carried on with my night regardless. I finally gave programming my Computer Science coursework project another attempt but I was having a bit of a nightmare and didn't manage to get much done before completely breaking my program! I haven't managed to fix whatever I broke either so I'm just going to have to go back to an older version of it and start again. I really don't know how I'm going to ever complete my coursework project to be honest because I'm really not advanced enough to program what I set out to do, so looks like there'll be a lot of self teaching and a lot of tears :burnout:

That's all I ended up doing tonight because with still feeling kind of rough and rather stressed after my coding fiasco, I wanted to just give up, and so I did.
    Maybe I can get more done tomorrow?
    - Emily

Monday Motivators! :dumbells: :

Spoiler:
    Show

If you want to be added to or removed from this list just let me know! :yep:
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    (Original post by zq01)
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    (Original post by R2D2IsASith)
    x

ReputationRep:

Another Monday of triple maths, what a way to start my week. Having said that all my subjects are Maths based and I should probably stop complaining :laugh:

I stayed in bed much longer than I should have this morning, leaving my self next to no time to get showered and ready. Plus I sacrificed food for makeup yet again this morning which is never advised. I then had to get a lift into college as the busses were on strike, yet again! The first lesson I had today was further maths in which we started the Mechanics 2 chapter on Moments. It was really going over my head though not going to lie, so I'm hoping I get better with practice.

Next I had a free where I had a driving lesson which I wasn't really looking forward to after last lessons disaster. We just practised some theory on roundabouts and then went for a drive where I was taken quite out of my way to go and try driving round a double mini roundabout. I managed to almost back-end a lorry on the roundabout so safe to say I don't really like mini roundabouts. But at least I survived... and only stalled 3 times. :facepalm:

After a poor excuse for a slice of pizza for lunch I had double maths this afternoon. We spent the first hour doing even more questions on modulus graph sketching and solving equations involving the modulus, thankfully that was the last lesson we're doing on it now! Then the second hour was spent doing work on the Mechanics 1 forces chapter, specifically friction on inclined planes (honestly I really don't like mechanics!) I also got a homework back which I only dropped 1 mark on which was a nice surprise, the homework also happens to make a cameo on this next picture of my school desk :ninjagirl:

So after school I first went out for a Costa (it's an addiction) then watched the next episode of Stranger Things 2 (also an addiction.) The Costa made me feel quite ill to be honest but I carried on with my night regardless. I finally gave programming my Computer Science coursework project another attempt but I was having a bit of a nightmare and didn't manage to get much done before completely breaking my program! I haven't managed to fix whatever I broke either so I'm just going to have to go back to an older version of it and start again. I really don't know how I'm going to ever complete my coursework project to be honest because I'm really not advanced enough to program what I set out to do, so looks like there'll be a lot of self teaching and a lot of tears :burnout:

That's all I ended up doing tonight because with still feeling kind of rough and rather stressed after my coding fiasco, I wanted to just give up, and so I did.
    - Emily

Spoiler:
    Show

A friend of mine gave me an old M4 and M5 textbook, and I've come to the conclusion that mechanics is

not

my

cup

of

tea

you have insane will power!

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine gave me an old M4 and M5 textbook, and I've come to the conclusion that mechanics is

not

my

cup

of

tea

you have insane will power!
    Me and you both! :giggle:
    I really don't have much will power though!

ReputationRep:

- Emily

Spoiler:
    Show

Damn, is moments in M2 really that bad? Everyone in my school complains about how much sense it doesn't make.
    Also, STRANGER THINGS 2! What a masterpiece. What other shows are you into?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.