The Student Room Group

EmilySarah00’s 2017/18 struggle to University (A*AA)

Scroll to see replies

Glad to hear CompSci went well :yay:
Original post by EmilySarah00
To be fair every time I had to do an Emergency Stop I did muck up first time.
Classes of 24 seem SO HUGE! In A2 my classes were an 11, a 5 and a 4 and I really like it that way.
What do you do in AS mechanics? Is it like what's in M1 for me? (Resolving Forces, Friction, Connected Particles, Newtons Laws and Equations of Motion)
I remembered <a href=> and </a> of course but I just got the reference to the actual file after the = wrong I think :facepalm:
I basically self taught myself Java GUI's as I went through my project... had a lot of issues but it worked out in the end.
And that's fair enough, I presume you have a project idea by now then?

I'll probably stall or something :lol:
Haha, 24 is quite large, my classes this year are like 17-21. I'm not sure if I'd prefer smaller classes tbh, I quite like the joking etc. of a larger class
AS mechanics was pretty much suvat, variable acceleration, pulleys and basic connected particles. AS further mechanics was work,energy and power, resolving forces and elastic collisions.
Ahh right, yeah I've no clue about that...<a href= " "> I can do though :smile:
We were meant to get 4 weeks on it this half term but they've scrapped that for extra CSS :angry: Windows forms are amazing so I'll probably stick with that option, my dad hates Java GUI so that doesn't sound like a good idea as usually I use him to help :giggle:
I didn't really, but my dad suggested like a cryptography thing which sounds like it would actually be fun and achievable (especially as I have a version of it in vb that he made me years ago :lol: Not that I'll tell my teacher that)
Good Luck! :badger:
Original post by 04MR17
It's quite rare that I've seen an offer like that.

Everyone's typically less picky on results day.:wink:

That's really what I'm bargaining on! :eek3:

Original post by nyxnko_
Glad to hear CompSci went well :yay:

Thank you so much! :woo:

Original post by Lemur14
I'll probably stall or something :lol:
Haha, 24 is quite large, my classes this year are like 17-21. I'm not sure if I'd prefer smaller classes tbh, I quite like the joking etc. of a larger class
AS mechanics was pretty much suvat, variable acceleration, pulleys and basic connected particles. AS further mechanics was work,energy and power, resolving forces and elastic collisions.
Ahh right, yeah I've no clue about that...<a href= " "> I can do though :smile:
We were meant to get 4 weeks on it this half term but they've scrapped that for extra CSS :angry: Windows forms are amazing so I'll probably stick with that option, my dad hates Java GUI so that doesn't sound like a good idea as usually I use him to help :giggle:
I didn't really, but my dad suggested like a cryptography thing which sounds like it would actually be fun and achievable (especially as I have a version of it in vb that he made me years ago :lol: Not that I'll tell my teacher that)

I didn't QUITE stall it was just very sloppy like often I'm not forceful enough with it :lol:
Hmm we get some joking just on a small class scale, we've definitely spent a fair few further maths lessons just having a chat.
That sounds broadly like our M1 although Variable Accelleration is in M2, but to be honest it makes more sense to do it when you do SUVAT's. Work energy and power is also M2 so It's all change I guess.
You'll know it by your exam I'm sure :wink2:
And yeah to be honest Java GUI is a bit of a joke, you're lucky having a parent who knows about programming, neither of mine have a clue!
Also Cryptography is always a shout (and yes that program would also be very useful :teehee:)

Original post by R2D2IsASith
Good Luck! :badger:

R2?! Thank you so much :woo:
Good luck to you too!! :badger:
aiming for a A - A* in Computing? i wish you was in my class, how are you revising for paper 2 i need so much help!
12/06/18 Update - Nervous :dong: :

Sooo... Today has just been a revision day but I was trying to keep it minimal since I have an exam tomorrow and I don't want to stress myself out, although I probably managed that anyway.

I began with a Core 4 paper, the June 2016 one to be exact. It was kind of alright I just felt like it was taking me forever, I'd basically already gone over time by the time I got to the last question and honestly the last question was an absolute nightmare. It was differential equations with trig functions in and I just didn't have a clue what was going on.

Anyway I eventually marked it and I got 58/75 which was an A, I needed 60 for an A* so considering I basically got nothing on the last question it could have been worse I suppose. :dontknow: I did however want to go over the last question and the mark scheme didn't really help, but Mr Barton has worked solutions for every exam bar 2016 :facepalm:

After a lunch break I then started a Core 3 paper, I did the June 2017 one which admittedly I had done before for my mock exam but I REALLY didn't remember a thing and I definitely had never done the last question before. I had a timer on to make sure I did it in the time but I had to take a break in the middle as I started feeling really sick for no reason, but I just paused the timer and resumed it after having a nap. I also finished the paper with at least 10 minutes to spare.

I got 65/75 in the end which was 2 marks in to an A*. The majority of my marks dropped were silly mistakes really, I dropped 3 on a transformation question for not reading it properly and 4 for writing 1/2 instead of -1/2, then just a few more elsewhere. So I know everything for tomorrow I'm just worried something stupid will cost me greatly. :argh:

So that's all the actual work I've done today, although I am having a bit of a flip out because I've realised how little I know for Friday's Computer Science exam and I've set myself up well for the A* there with the first paper (+ my already A* coursework) so I need to get all the content done for this second paper by Friday to give me the best chance at an A* overall. So I'm probably going to watch a couple of revision videos now before Love Island. :teehee:

As for tomorrow... well, I'm pretty scared. The annoying thing is I know I'm capeble, most papers I do with Core 3 I'd be near enough on full marks if it wasn't for ridiculous mistakes just like today but I know those mistakes are likely to happen in exam conditions. I don't really know I just want to get my offer so I'm pressuring myself. I'm hoping all will go well but I know it has the possibility to go tragically and I can't be doing with another exam going as badly as FP4 because that put me on a downer for DAYS.

Yeah, I guess we'll soon see what happens...
- Emily

Tuesday Team :woo: :

Spoiler

Original post by HalfEmptyBottle
aiming for a A - A* in Computing? i wish you was in my class, how are you revising for paper 2 i need so much help!

I honestly don't know. I'm going to try and watch some revision videos to refresh my memory, I also plan to do last years past paper before Friday, I've already done the specimen and it went worse than I'd hoped. I'd say make sure you're confident just writing psuedocode because there's usually a bit more of it on Paper 2 then Paper 1. I'm very much struggling to revise for this one though, and I don't think I know enough.
I honestly don't know. I'm going to try and watch some revision videos to refresh my memory, I also plan to do last years past paper before Friday, I've already done the specimen and it went worse than I'd hoped. I'd say make sure you're confident just writing psuedocode because there's usually a bit more of it on Paper 2 then Paper 1. I'm very much struggling to revise for this one though, and I don't think I know enough.

exactly, because u seem nice lemme chuck this in for you, its all i could find for paper 2 revision like key words and things.

http://student.craigndave.org/specification-key-terminology-and-cheat-sheets
good luck, you got this:rave:
exam conditions do definitely make most of us work differently though:redface: been stressing over how i answered one of the questions in my maths paper because i just can't remember if i made a really stupid mistake:lol:
Original post by HalfEmptyBottle
exactly, because u seem nice lemme chuck this in for you, its all i could find for paper 2 revision like key words and things.

http://student.craigndave.org/specification-key-terminology-and-cheat-sheets

Ah thank you very much! I’ll take a look at that tomorrow :smile:
Original post by entertainmyfaith
good luck, you got this:rave:
exam conditions do definitely make most of us work differently though:redface: been stressing over how i answered one of the questions in my maths paper because i just can't remember if i made a really stupid mistake:lol:

Thank you lovely :hugs:
I agree, it’s quite frustrating, after my first exam all I wanted was another go, straight away I just wanted to start over with a new paper and do it again :facepalm:
Keep calm. Try your best. Nobody can ask you to do more than try your best.:heart:
You've got this! :rave:

I didn't QUITE stall it was just very sloppy like often I'm not forceful enough with it :lol:
Hmm we get some joking just on a small class scale, we've definitely spent a fair few further maths lessons just having a chat.
That sounds broadly like our M1 although Variable Accelleration is in M2, but to be honest it makes more sense to do it when you do SUVAT's. Work energy and power is also M2 so It's all change I guess.
You'll know it by your exam I'm sure :wink2:
And yeah to be honest Java GUI is a bit of a joke, you're lucky having a parent who knows about programming, neither of mine have a clue!
Also Cryptography is always a shout (and yes that program would also be very useful :teehee:):

Sounds exactly like I would be :five: I once had an ambulance coming towards me and a queue on the other side of the road and it took me soo long to stop :oops:
We'd never manage a whole lesson chatting :sad: I like the trying to talk across the classroom without getting yelled at and the trying to work out what our teacher means by explaining the bits we understand to each other to try and piece it together (not saying you don't have that, but I like the fact it's on quite a large scale). Plus the characters who make the class, but you wouldn't want the class to be full of them :giggle:
It's because the further maths stuff needs to be independent of the maths stuff so they have to order it accordingly. Our questions were definitely easier than yours though, we tried some old spec questions and they were just like what?!
Haha hopefully should do... Not that it's as likely to come up next year :tongue:
Yeh I am lucky, but that's partly why Java GUI would be so hard as he has no clue for that :grumble::wink:
I mean I've got one so not for me, but it's something I'll actually enjoy unlike most of their suggestions so :h:
Good luck for today! You can do it :rave:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not sure which exam you were sitting today but I just got out of chemistry IGCSE paper 2 and I was in the same room as people doing maths and further maths :biggrin: so it may have been the same one. Not gunna lie, I sneaked a peek at their formula sheet thingy at the start when they had to check it and it looked so hard :angry: I hope the exam went well for you!
12/06/18 Update - Nervous :dong: :

Sooo... Today has just been a revision day but I was trying to keep it minimal since I have an exam tomorrow and I don't want to stress myself out, although I probably managed that anyway.

I began with a Core 4 paper, the June 2016 one to be exact. It was kind of alright I just felt like it was taking me forever, I'd basically already gone over time by the time I got to the last question and honestly the last question was an absolute nightmare. It was differential equations with trig functions in and I just didn't have a clue what was going on.

Anyway I eventually marked it and I got 58/75 which was an A, I needed 60 for an A* so considering I basically got nothing on the last question it could have been worse I suppose. :dontknow: I did however want to go over the last question and the mark scheme didn't really help, but Mr Barton has worked solutions for every exam bar 2016 :facepalm:

After a lunch break I then started a Core 3 paper, I did the June 2017 one which admittedly I had done before for my mock exam but I REALLY didn't remember a thing and I definitely had never done the last question before. I had a timer on to make sure I did it in the time but I had to take a break in the middle as I started feeling really sick for no reason, but I just paused the timer and resumed it after having a nap. I also finished the paper with at least 10 minutes to spare.

I got 65/75 in the end which was 2 marks in to an A*. The majority of my marks dropped were silly mistakes really, I dropped 3 on a transformation question for not reading it properly and 4 for writing 1/2 instead of -1/2, then just a few more elsewhere. So I know everything for tomorrow I'm just worried something stupid will cost me greatly. :argh:

So that's all the actual work I've done today, although I am having a bit of a flip out because I've realised how little I know for Friday's Computer Science exam and I've set myself up well for the A* there with the first paper (+ my already A* coursework) so I need to get all the content done for this second paper by Friday to give me the best chance at an A* overall. So I'm probably going to watch a couple of revision videos now before Love Island. :teehee:

As for tomorrow... well, I'm pretty scared. The annoying thing is I know I'm capeble, most papers I do with Core 3 I'd be near enough on full marks if it wasn't for ridiculous mistakes just like today but I know those mistakes are likely to happen in exam conditions. I don't really know I just want to get my offer so I'm pressuring myself. I'm hoping all will go well but I know it has the possibility to go tragically and I can't be doing with another exam going as badly as FP4 because that put me on a downer for DAYS.

Yeah, I guess we'll soon see what happens...
- Emily

Tuesday Team :woo: :

Spoiler

Hopefully, C3 and C4 will go much better for you than FP4. I saw you mentioned struggling with the last question on a C4 paper so here is a worked solution. :h:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 04MR17
Keep calm. Try your best. Nobody can ask you to do more than try your best.:heart:

Thank you! Suddenly feeling sick mid exam is becoming a thing for me though which I'm not enjoying but I made it through and it was ok :yep:

Original post by nyxnko_
You've got this! :rave:

Thank you lovely! :woo:

Original post by Lemur14
Sounds exactly like I would be :five: I once had an ambulance coming towards me and a queue on the other side of the road and it took me soo long to stop :oops:
We'd never manage a whole lesson chatting :sad: I like the trying to talk across the classroom without getting yelled at and the trying to work out what our teacher means by explaining the bits we understand to each other to try and piece it together (not saying you don't have that, but I like the fact it's on quite a large scale). Plus the characters who make the class, but you wouldn't want the class to be full of them :giggle:
It's because the further maths stuff needs to be independent of the maths stuff so they have to order it accordingly. Our questions were definitely easier than yours though, we tried some old spec questions and they were just like what?!
Haha hopefully should do... Not that it's as likely to come up next year :tongue:
Yeh I am lucky, but that's partly why Java GUI would be so hard as he has no clue for that :grumble::wink:
I mean I've got one so not for me, but it's something I'll actually enjoy unlike most of their suggestions so :h:
Good luck for today! You can do it :rave:

Posted from TSR Mobile

An ambulance / police car / fire engine is one thing I've never had to deal with on a driving lesson so far luckily :yep:
It tends to be revision lessons near exams we just chat it's pretty bad but I guess it's all over now :frown:
And yeah I think people misbehaving is my biggest fear in large classes because it's just so distracting
If you struggled with our spec questions then I feel less bad! :rofl:
You're probably right there, basically nothing on 2017 Paper 1 came up on our Paper 1 so chances of you getting our topics is pretttty slim!
But yeah thinking about it Java GUI is a bit of a mare, avoid if possible, I had to seek some TSR help with it :lol:
And thank youuu! Today actually was ok :smile:

Original post by mundosinfin
Not sure which exam you were sitting today but I just got out of chemistry IGCSE paper 2 and I was in the same room as people doing maths and further maths :biggrin: so it may have been the same one. Not gunna lie, I sneaked a peek at their formula sheet thingy at the start when they had to check it and it looked so hard :angry: I hope the exam went well for you!

Ah yeah Chemistry was going on during our exam (at my school it was in a different room though.) So that was probably the Core 3 exam I was doing that was in the room with you :lol:
The formula book is a bit facing but it's not so bad once you actually understand what it means :rofl:
Hope chemistry went well for you too!

Original post by MR1999
Hopefully, C3 and C4 will go much better for you than FP4. I saw you mentioned struggling with the last question on a C4 paper so here is a worked solution. :h:

C3 actually went about as well as I could have hoped considering all my past paper scores, DEFINITELY better than FP4 (I'm really hoping nothing else goes as badly as that because it was so disheartening)
Also thank you for trying to find a solution for me, sadly the link doesn't appear to be working :frown:
13/06/18 - Core 3 Exam Summary :

Reflection:

So today was my Core 3 exam and I'm sure as many of you know by now I need an A* in this paper to get my firm offer so the pressure was on. I did however manage to actually get a decent nights sleep last night so that's always a bonus.

The invigilator woman we had today was one I'd never seen before and no joke she was actually mental, like she was just being really hyperactive and making jokes before the paper, I'm sure some people will have found it off-putting but I found it hilarious and relaxing so that was nice. Nerves hit me a little bit as I opened the paper up, I was flapping because I couldn't separate page 1 and page 2 but I did it eventually :lol:

The start of the paper was ok, I was thrown off on Question 2 having dx/dy instead of dy/dx and that messed me up a little. Also near the start of the paper there was a question in which you had to sketch a ln graph and honestly I forgot that was even in the spec but I got it right with a little bit of wrecking my brain!

The second half of the paper was where the numbers got a little bit more awkward, we had a pretty gross quadratic in disguise question to solve which wasn't very nice. And there was also an integration by parts twice, which is always just a minefield of possible errors but I got there in the end. The integration by substitution question however was really nice. :woo:

Overall the paper was fairly easy in terms of skills we had to use, but the rather awkward numbers made the likelihood for error a bit higher so I hope the grade boundaries are lessened a bit by that, otherwise they'd potentially be quite high. I came out the paper feeling fairly happy though, and hearing people getting the same answers as me was always reassuring!

Predictions:

Since getting home I've basically been glued to TSR threads and I only realised 3 mistakes I made on the whole paper. @Integer123's amazing mark scheme confirmed that to me and also allowed me to count marks. I think overall I dropped between 5-7 marks on the whole paper so if that isn't an A* I'll be mad because I'm currently impressed with myself. :yep:

That's actually so much better than I imagined I'd do, I thought I had no hope at the A* under exam conditions but I think I came through! I really need to sort Core 4 out now though because the A* isn't certain yet, so I should probably get out of bed and get to work (but I'm so tired :yawn: )

Hope everyone's exams are going well! :rave: :

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Glad to hear C3 went well :yes:
Sleep early tonight if you're tired :hugs:
I'm sure you'll smash C4 as well!! :rave:

An ambulance / police car / fire engine is one thing I've never had to deal with on a driving lesson so far luckily :yep:
It tends to be revision lessons near exams we just chat it's pretty bad but I guess it's all over now :frown:
And yeah I think people misbehaving is my biggest fear in large classes because it's just so distracting
If you struggled with our spec questions then I feel less bad! :rofl:
You're probably right there, basically nothing on 2017 Paper 1 came up on our Paper 1 so chances of you getting our topics is pretttty slim!
But yeah thinking about it Java GUI is a bit of a mare, avoid if possible, I had to seek some TSR help with it :lol:
And thank youuu! Today actually was ok :smile:

It wasn't even on a lesson... It was with my dad otherwise I'm sure my instructor would have slammed on the breaks for me!
Further maths revision lessons this year didn't really happen... The maths ones were just chat mostly but that's because our maths teacher is much more chill :laugh:
They're not so much misbehaving as loud but it generally causes us to all have a laugh so I'm not bothered!
It might have been just bad question selection tbf, and lots of yours seemed to combine things we had done with things we hadn't which made it awkward as well :tongue:
Topics maybe... But something specific like a hyperlink probably not. Shame as I quite like the basic html...
I'm gonna look into it, I've no clue what it's capable of, effectively I'm probably gonna want a few selection boxes, text boxes and buttons really... Nothing too complicated in theory though I know you had problems with your buttons.
So glad it went okay, sounds like you've done really well... Now to repeat that in C4 (and computing :giggle:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
13/06/18 - Core 3 Exam Summary :

Reflection:

So today was my Core 3 exam and I'm sure as many of you know by now I need an A* in this paper to get my firm offer so the pressure was on. I did however manage to actually get a decent nights sleep last night so that's always a bonus.

The invigilator woman we had today was one I'd never seen before and no joke she was actually mental, like she was just being really hyperactive and making jokes before the paper, I'm sure some people will have found it off-putting but I found it hilarious and relaxing so that was nice. Nerves hit me a little bit as I opened the paper up, I was flapping because I couldn't separate page 1 and page 2 but I did it eventually :lol:

The start of the paper was ok, I was thrown off on Question 2 having dx/dy instead of dy/dx and that messed me up a little. Also near the start of the paper there was a question in which you had to sketch a ln graph and honestly I forgot that was even in the spec but I got it right with a little bit of wrecking my brain!

The second half of the paper was where the numbers got a little bit more awkward, we had a pretty gross quadratic in disguise question to solve which wasn't very nice. And there was also an integration by parts twice, which is always just a minefield of possible errors but I got there in the end. The integration by substitution question however was really nice. :woo:

Overall the paper was fairly easy in terms of skills we had to use, but the rather awkward numbers made the likelihood for error a bit higher so I hope the grade boundaries are lessened a bit by that, otherwise they'd potentially be quite high. I came out the paper feeling fairly happy though, and hearing people getting the same answers as me was always reassuring!

Predictions:

Since getting home I've basically been glued to TSR threads and I only realised 3 mistakes I made on the whole paper. @Integer123's amazing mark scheme confirmed that to me and also allowed me to count marks. I think overall I dropped between 5-7 marks on the whole paper so if that isn't an A* I'll be mad because I'm currently impressed with myself. :yep:

That's actually so much better than I imagined I'd do, I thought I had no hope at the A* under exam conditions but I think I came through! I really need to sort Core 4 out now though because the A* isn't certain yet, so I should probably get out of bed and get to work (but I'm so tired :yawn: )

Hope everyone's exams are going well! :rave: :

Spoiler

Glad to hear C3 went so well. Well done!:h:

If you try the link again for the solution, it should work this time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending