Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why is the supply curve for labour in perfectly competitive market horizontal? Watch

ReputationRep:
    i know this is quite similar to the perfectly elastic demand curve for individual firm in perfectly competitive market. but what i don't get is that why is the "supply" curve horizontal but not the demand curve for labour horizontal?
    i think it like this: in a product market, firms are sellers and consumers are buyers
    in a labour market, firms are buyers and workers are sellers
    So, in perfectly competitive product market, sellers/firms are price takers so can only sell at market price or else demand for their product will fall to zero, so demand curve is horizontal.

In a perfectly competitive labour market, sellers/workers are wage takers so can only have their wage rate at market wage level or else demand for them will fall to zero. so shouldn't it be the demand curve being horizontal?
    But i know the demand curve for labour is downward sloping because of the diminishing return and MRP thing and i get that! pls help me!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.