Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I Resit one A2 exam If I want to apply for LSE? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi! My final A2 grades were AAB in Math Physics and Economics. I achieved a high A in AS Econ and always got good grades in normal test, but I was not well on the test day and only got a B in Econ. So I have already signed up for Econ A2 retake in November.

But I have heard that LSE doesn't like resits. And The program I want to apply in LSE is Economics History, whose standard requirements is AAB, and I have seen someone who got an offer with a predicted AAB grades. So my grades have met the standard requirements, but not surly not a very competitive one.

My question is that should I still resit the exam to raise my Alevel Economics from B to A(maybe A*) and to boost my competitiveness a little bit? Or should I just go with my current grades and only focus on Personal Statement, since I have met the standard requirements and LSE doesn't like retakes?

ReputationRep:
    And another question is that if anyone knows that if there's any difference between applying with predicted Alevel grades and with Alevel grades already achieved? Since sometime predicted grades can be much higher than the real grades they achieve eventually.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaiYu)
    Hi! My final A2 grades were AAB in Math Physics and Economics. I achieved a high A in AS Econ and always got good grades in normal test, but I was not well on the test day and only got a B in Econ. So I have already signed up for Econ A2 retake in November.

But I have heard that LSE doesn't like resits. And The program I want to apply in LSE is Economics History, whose standard requirements is AAB, and I have seen someone who got an offer with a predicted AAB grades. So my grades have met the standard requirements, but not surly not a very competitive one.

My question is that should I still resit the exam to raise my Alevel Economics from B to A(maybe A*) and to boost my competitiveness a little bit? Or should I just go with my current grades and only focus on Personal Statement, since I have met the standard requirements and LSE doesn't like retakes?
    As you say, LSE don't really like resits:

'Given the competition for places and the nature of assessment at LSE, we prefer students who have achieved high grades in their first attempt (and in one sitting) at relevant examinations. If extenuating circumstances have impacted your exam performance, you should include details of these in your application.' http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Un...y-Requirements

However, it only says 'prefer' and your predictions meet their requirements so you don't really have much to lose by applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaiYu)

I spoke to admissions yesterday as I am a resitting a year in college and want to do economics. I asked them if they would accept me with my current situation and they said yes, however I would be at a disadvantage (same for Warwick and St. Andrews). He also told me there have been people in the past who have done a 3rd year at college, who have been accepted onto the course. I then told him my predicted grades are A*A*A, with a strong personal statement and I have clearly turned things around. The person at admissions was impressed and wished me luck. I thing its worth a shot, as you can never truly know what will happen.
    Hope this was useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarveySpecter99)
    I spoke to admissions yesterday as I am a resitting a year in college and want to do economics. I asked them if they would accept me with my current situation and they said yes, however I would be at a disadvantage (same for Warwick and St. Andrews). He also told me there have been people in the past who have done a 3rd year at college, who have been accepted onto the course. I then told him my predicted grades are A*A*A, with a strong personal statement and I have clearly turned things around. The person at admissions was impressed and wished me luck. I thing its worth a shot, as you can never truly know what will happen.
    Hope this was useful.
    Thanks! Your grades are impressive!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaiYu)
    Thanks! Your grades are impressive!
    Thank you! and you're welcome!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.