Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'v been doing some work on the BMAT for a while now. I'v improved on my critical thinking skills, although I need to spend a bit more time on them to make sure I'm perfect at them. However, the problem solving questions are really putting me down.

The usual advice I see is to just practice past papers and get used to them, but I'v been doing plenty of questions and past papers and my performance have not been increasing at all. I take way to long on them and feel like I would struggle to get a 4 for S1.

I'm doing good at my A level subjects at the moment, and will most likely be predicted all A*s, however I doubt I'll get a look into medicine at all since I'm only applying for medicine at 2 BMAT unis (rest biomedical science) since I didn't take the UKCAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notarealname2000)
    I'v been doing some work on the BMAT for a while now. I'v improved on my critical thinking skills, although I need to spend a bit more time on them to make sure I'm perfect at them. However, the problem solving questions are really putting me down.

The usual advice I see is to just practice past papers and get used to them, but I'v been doing plenty of questions and past papers and my performance have not been increasing at all. I take way to long on them and feel like I would struggle to get a 4 for S1.

I'm doing good at my A level subjects at the moment, and will most likely be predicted all A*s, however I doubt I'll get a look into medicine at all since I'm only applying for medicine at 2 BMAT unis (rest biomedical science) since I didn't take the UKCAT.
    Is there a question here??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by COYS...TTID)
    Is there a question here??
    ermm.... that is a good point lol. Basically I just wanted some tips / advice on how I tackle section 1, and not get the usual answers like "keep doing past exam papers". I understand that method would help eventually, but I have been doing past papers for ages and my scores for section 1 have no been improving. Therefore, I'm wondering if anyone has any ways to improve the overall understanding and approach for problem solving questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notarealname2000)
    ermm.... that is a good point lol. Basically I just wanted some tips / advice on how I tackle section 1, and not get the usual answers like "keep doing past exam papers". I understand that method would help eventually, but I have been doing past papers for ages and my scores for section 1 have no been improving. Therefore, I'm wondering if anyone has any ways to improve the overall understanding and approach for problem solving questions.
    Do loads of them, use TSA section 1 papers, and cie thinking skills paper 1 and 3 (paper 3 in particular has really good problems)
    If you get stuck with questions post them on the bmat thread and someone might be able to explain it to you. Generally you’ll start to spot patterns in the way the questions are set and the common pitfalls
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Have you watched our free Section 1 Tutorials on YouTube?

Check them out here! www.youtube.com/medicmind

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.