Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Scrap NABs and National 1s-4s from Scottish Schools Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The SNP are wasting piles of money by having a range of pointless mickey mouse qualifications used in schools, notably:
    National 1s, National 2s, National 3s, National 4s and Advanced Highers.

Every school pupils in S4 should do between five to eight National 5 exams and five Highers in S5, then do another four highers in S6, those they dropped in S5 or crash highers.

Have all pupils do this instead of selecting them to do either National 4 or National 5 which dooms their prospects in the future if they're stuck doing National 4s due to teachers and the SQA being scared that they'll not get As and expose how horrid the Scottish system really is. One excuse the SQA will say is that not everyone has the ability to pass National 5s but I say who cares, the qualifications below National 5 are mickey mouse and meaningless.

Also scrap NABs. These are required to be passed if a pupil is to sit the final exam, I believe Swinny is slowly phasing them out but that's not good enough, waste of bloody money. Every pupil should have the right to sit the final exam if they wish to do so.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, i think it is unfair to call them Mickey Mouse Courses. National 3 and 4 are equivalent to foundation and general levels in Standard Grade and many kids will only have that level of ability.

Secondly, Not every kid will be able to complete 5 highers in one year. Its really hard to do, trust me. Also, under your proposal what would students who have failed their Nat 5 in S4 do in S5- they wouldn't be able to complete the higher.
    Also, not everyone is going to uni. Having Nat 4 and Nat 3 allows them to leave with a qualification and they could go on vocational training or college where they will need these qualifications.

Thirdly, NABs are a good indicator of a students ability and are usually at a level C so if they can't pass that then they shouldn't take the final exam.
    Also, you talk about the idea of a waste of money but you want students to sit exams that they won't be able to do. That's a waste of money and resources. So your arguement is flawed.

Finally, Advanced Highers are useful and beneficial. It is quite common for Medicine and other high regarded courses to complete an Advanced Higher. Also, gifted pupils will be able to skip the 1st year of a scottish university with advanced highers and can apply to english unis. It was created to compete wit A-level.

So I pretty much disagree with you essentially.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aadam10)
    Firstly, i think it is unfair to call them Mickey Mouse Courses. National 3 and 4 are equivalent to foundation and general levels in Standard Grade and many kids will only have that level of ability.

They are hardly any different to National 5s, more revision is all that is required. If you can pass a National 4 you can pass a National 5. Nat 4s are essentially given lazy pupils an easier exam for being lazy.

Secondly, Not every kid will be able to complete 5 highers in one year. Its really hard to do, trust me. Also, under your proposal what would students who have failed their Nat 5 in S4 do in S5- they wouldn't be able to complete the higher.
    Also, not everyone is going to uni. Having Nat 4 and Nat 3 allows them to leave with a qualification and they could go on vocational training or college where they will need these qualifications.

Exams aren't meant to be easy, in all honestly I think National 5s and Highers aren't hard enough. If they don't pass then I don't see any reason to why they can't resit. Anyway the system I purposed is similar to England where all pupils have to sit a certain number of GCSEs and they're education is far superior and had more equality than the Scottish system could ever dream of despite what Scottish teachers like to tell you. There's more poorer students getting top marks in GCSEs and A-Levels in the likes of Hackney compared to Glasgow.

Thirdly, NABs are a good indicator of a students ability and are usually at a level C so if they can't pass that then they shouldn't take the final exam.
    Also, you talk about the idea of a waste of money but you want students to sit exams that they won't be able to do. That's a waste of money and resources. So your arguement is flawed.

England, Wales and Northern Ireland don't have NABs as far as I'm aware and do fine. I don't think I don't see the point in deciding if a pupil can sit the final exam a year or even two years before the final exam actually takes place. And the argument isn't flowed as it costs far more to make vast amounts of levels for courses than just printing out National 5 papers, your printing out the same amount of papers regardless, just more time is focused on making Nat 5s and Highers of top quality. If pupils fail National 5 they'll most likely fail National 4 as there's very little difference in them. All National 4 type pupils (e.g dyslexic, autistic, drop outs) need to do is revise harder like normal pupils. But they are being phased out so perhaps the Scottish Government see my side of the argument.

Finally, Advanced Highers are useful and beneficial. It is quite common for Medicine and other high regarded courses to complete an Advanced Higher. Also, gifted pupils will be able to skip the 1st year of a scottish university with advanced highers and can apply to english unis. It was created to compete wit A-level.

But they are not needed, I would just make Highers more difficult an have them on par with A-Levels down south, along with National 5s being more equal level with GCSEs, saved costs.
    So I pretty much disagree with you essentially.
    Responses in bold.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.