Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, IB has left me with approximately 1 day to pick a college! I love ideal situations. Any pros, and cons, for any of these 4 options - I always moved towards Magdalen yet love Brasenose and others as well. I'm applying for history and politics, and am an international school student, if that makes a difference! I would prefer a old college, and a slightly bigger size.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaliyahl)
    Unfortunately, IB has left me with approximately 1 day to pick a college! I love ideal situations. Any pros, and cons, for any of these 4 options - I always moved towards Magdalen yet love Brasenose and others as well. I'm applying for history and politics, and am an international school student, if that makes a difference! I would prefer a old college, and a slightly bigger size.
    If you are looking for a "traditional" Oxford experience, you won't go wrong with any of these colleges.
    But I only know ChCh in any detail. Pros = very beautiful and 'in your face' history, in a grand way; good accommodation in all 3 years; rich, so has perks like generous book grant, subsidised meals; big enough to have social diversity; try hard with pastoral support; surprisingly easy to get involved in things like college choir, croquet etc; very good in communicating with students' parents/sponsors. Cons = main site (i.e. first year accommodation) has no self catering facilities; crowds of tourists during opening hours; rather self-satisfied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaliyahl)
    Brasenose is old and traditional but on the small side physically - if you want a grand college, I would say Christ Church or Magdalen. I'd be more inclined to the latter simply because the tourists can get very annoying.

I'm a Brasenose alumni, so here's my list:

Pros
    - Amazingly central accommodation for all years (either on the main college site next to the Radcliffe Camera or in Frewin Annexe next to the Oxford Union)
    - Super friendly people and cosy atmosphere
    - Offers the option of year-round tenancies (i.e. you don't need to vacate your room at the end of every term) - very helpful as an international if you don't plan on returning home every vacation (I didn't, and it was so nice to have a place to return to between trips)
    - Hall food is very value for money (not the best, but pretty cheap). Fully pay-as-you-go (i.e. no meal plans, you only pay for whatever you want to eat). Excellent desserts.

Cons
    - Limited cooking facilities in first year/ on main college site. However, you can opt to live in Frewin from second year onwards, which has full cooking facilities
    - Few en-suites

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.