Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Using predicted salary Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am currently working full time and applying for September 2018 entry.
    As I will be working part time when the course starts how do I complete the application to ensure that I receive the full maintenance loan?
    Thank you
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wenmoo)
    As I will be working part time when the course starts how do I complete the application to ensure that I receive the full maintenance loan?
    Thank you
    The form only asks for UNEARNED income for the student applying. Part time or holiday work isn’t assessed.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    Hi Wenmoo,

Section 8 of the application form requests students to declare any taxable unearned income (this is income that the student receives without working). All unearned income should be declared, irrespective of the amount. Below are examples of unearned income and what is taken into consideration when calculating your entitlement.
    Income that will be taken into account
    • Bank or Building Society Gross Interest
    • Property Lettings or Rent
    • Dividends from investments/shares/unit trusts
    • Trusts or Sponsorships
    • Pensions
    • Any other payment received for attending the course (This does not include University Bursaries).

Income from part time student employment and summer jobs are not taken into account.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thank you for your reply.
    My issue was that I have to put down my current earnings on the form which would invalidate my reward when, in fact, I will be working minimal hours when the course starts. How can I ensure that I can receive the maintenance loan using my earnings for the year 2018 rather than the earnings from 2017?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    My issue was that I have to put down my current earnings on the form which would invalidate my reward when, in fact, I will be working minimal hours when the course starts. How can I ensure that I can receive the maintenance loan using my earnings for the year 2018 rather than the earnings from 2017?
    The form will not ask for your earnings - either before or during your study.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Wenmoo,

The application will only ask if you the student, have any unearned income, as advised earlier.

The only income we would look at, depending on what age you are, is that of your parents or partner.

If over 25 years you will be assessed as independent and if you do not have a partner you will automatically be assessed on a zero income from salary, as you will be a full time student.

We do not ask for your income from the previous employment. Any student income gained from part time employment will not affect the assessment.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rona, this was really helpful, I think I misunderstood the form, thank you for your help. Think I'm a little too excited about applying!

Wendy

QUOTE=Rona SFE;74103068]Hi Wenmoo,

The application will only ask if you the student, have any unearned income, as advised earlier.

The only income we would look at, depending on what age you are, is that of your parents or partner.

If over 25 years you will be assessed as independent and if you do not have a partner you will automatically be assessed on a zero income from salary, as you will be a full time student.

We do not ask for your income from the previous employment. Any student income gained from part time employment will not affect the assessment.

Thanks Rona[/QUOTE]

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.