The Student Room Group

Depressed at boarding school

It's been two and a half months since I started boarding school, I am 16 and my family lives 17 hours plane ride away. I will be going home in 2 weeks and I am wondering whether I should tell my parents I want to quit. I used to love school, loved lessons, loved teachers and my friends.i left thinking there might be something better out there but now I have become depressed and have to keep tears back everyday, I fooled myself into thinking I would fit in with lots of really rich people. My family and I worked so hard to get here and I feel like I have let them down.
I obviously want to go back home but I don't want to disappoint my family and look like a failure but at the same time I want to be happy and I know that I won't be happy here.
What should I tell my parents and how should I tell them?
Hi I know this thread is a year old, but I'm basically in the same position. So does anyone have advice?

Also, how can you get help for depression in boarding school?

Thanks!
Bump?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I know this thread is a year old, but I'm basically in the same position. So does anyone have advice?

Also, how can you get help for depression in boarding school?

Thanks!

Hi, I used to be at boarding school until I moved to sixth form, and I had quite a tough time. Try to talk to someone at school, whether that be a teacher or a friend and open up about how you feel. Just keep reminding yourself that it will get better, keep yourself busy with after school activities and school work and soon things will improve. Also, try to make friends from different years if you don’t really click with your year, as it can be easy to make friends at boarding school if you try to. Best of luck x
Okay thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending