Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

So I’m a potential mature student (37 eek) and am looking to apply to medicine for 2018 entry.

I’m aware of the GEM 4 year courses but think I will need to apply for some standard 5 year courses too, in order to broaden my options.

I sat the Gamsat in March (65,56,49) and it wasn’t quite good enough. I’ve sat it again but haven’t yet got results.

I’ve also sat the UKCAT and didn’t do great- 2530 and band 1 in situational judgement.

I have a 2:1 BSc Hons and an MSc but am let down by my lack of A levels (D in physics).

So what are my best options? I was thinking:

- Notts GEM (hoping Gamsat is good enough)
    - Another Gamsat GEM not requiring a levels (Cardiff or Swansea perhaps?)
    - Leicester 5 yr (don’t require a levels but do score you on them)
    - Warwick GEM in the very unlikely hope they lower their min UKCAT score (usually 2700+)

Does anyone know of any other med courses (graduate or 5yr) that don’t require good A levels?!

Many thanks :-)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potentialmedic?!)
    Hi

So I’m a potential mature student (37 eek) and am looking to apply to medicine for 2018 entry.

I’m aware of the GEM 4 year courses but think I will need to apply for some standard 5 year courses too, in order to broaden my options.

I sat the Gamsat in March (65,56,49) and it wasn’t quite good enough. I’ve sat it again but haven’t yet got results.

I’ve also sat the UKCAT and didn’t do great- 2530 and band 1 in situational judgement.

I have a 2:1 BSc Hons and an MSc but am let down by my lack of A levels (D in physics).

So what are my best options? I was thinking:

- Notts GEM (hoping Gamsat is good enough)
    - Another Gamsat GEM not requiring a levels (Cardiff or Swansea perhaps?)
    - Leicester 5 yr (don’t require a levels but do score you on them)
    - Warwick GEM in the very unlikely hope they lower their min UKCAT score (usually 2700+)

Does anyone know of any other med courses (graduate or 5yr) that don’t require good A levels?!

Many thanks :-)
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomas Darcy)
    Yes.
    Thanks, fancy sharing info or is it a brown envelope stuffed with used 20’s in the usual place? :-)

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    Ignore this silly goose. i'd wait for your results and see what happens. u can do whatever you want, you're gonna be the very best. What A levels did you get? usually you need quite a few A*s to get anywhere if you're planning to do anything with medicine

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, fancy sharing info or is it a brown envelope stuffed with used 20’s in the usual place? :-)
    i dont understand

ReputationRep:
    i dont understand
    Sorry, can you give me some advice on where to apply?

ReputationRep:
    no, sorry mum.
    Shut up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael Spearing)
    Ignore this silly goose. i'd wait for your results and see what happens. u can do whatever you want, you're gonna be the very best. What A levels did you get? usually you need quite a few A*s to get anywhere if you're planning to do anything with medicine
    I did badly in my A levels (a long time ago) (a single D in physics) so I did a foundation year , then my BSc Hons, then an MSc.

Most unis lower their A level requirements for grads a little but a few are happy with degrees and entrance exams instead. I’m just struggling to work out a short list! Working full time in my current career (and having 2 small kids) means I don’t think redoing my A levels is an option unfortunately.

I’m really hoping my Gamsat result is good enough. I didn’t really apply myself properly to the UKCAT (I don’t think most people try to do them at the same time what with work etc too).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael Spearing)
    Sorry - meant to add that I need to finalise my choices by the weekend and won’t get Gamsat results until after that unfortunately :-/

ReputationRep:
    Sorry - meant to add that I need to finalise my choices by the weekend and won’t get Gamsat results until after that unfortunately :-/
    i'm sure you'll achieve anything u put ur mind to. sorry i cant be of much help but i hope you get where u want to!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.