Turn on thread page Beta

Credit card help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

This is probably a really stupid question to ask, but I'm really confused over how credit cards work.

So I want to get one to help build my credit rating and to protect purchases like flights and things but I'm confused with how paying them back works.

Say I brought my petrol on the credit card and then paid it back at the end of the month, would I pay just the petrol money or would I have to pay interest on it as well?

Thanks! 😃

ReputationRep:
    You make the purchase with your credit card, and normally have a interest free period, which is normally 56 days. Therefore, you only repay the amount borrowed for the purchase, if you miss a repayment though the interest will hit you hard. CCs are a great tool if managed properly. Please note, using a CC will not improve your credit score, it will simply show lenders how responsible you are with your finances, which in turn is likely to strengthen the chance of you getting a mortgage/loan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Leonidas)
    You make the purchase with your credit card, and normally have a interest free period, which is normally 56 days. Therefore, you only repay the amount borrowed for the purchase, if you miss a repayment though the interest will hit you hard. CCs are a great tool if managed properly. Please note, using a CC will not improve your credit score, it will simply show lenders how responsible you are with your finances, which in turn is likely to strengthen the chance of you getting a mortgage/loan.
    Thank you for your response! So I will literally only be paying for what I've brought not anything extra, that sounds much better than I thought 😃

I didn't realise that credit cards don't count towards your credit rating. I thought they did because you can get a credit builder card? I was always told they would make it better and then in turn easier to get a morgage. If they don't then I might not get one 🙂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AimeeLouLou)

I didn't realise that credit cards don't count towards your credit rating. I thought they did because you can get a credit builder card? I was always told they would make it better and then in turn easier to get a morgage. If they don't then I might not get one 🙂
    They do count, I had absolutely no credit back in february and now I have a near perfect score just from using my card and paying it off each month in full. Halifax also suggested to me that it was a good idea to build my credit rating

Basically it varies from card to card, mine is a student one with halifax so I can buy whatever I want (£500 limit) and I start paying interest one month after purchase but i usually pay it off in full each month so i don't pay any interest

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.