Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I graduated from university over a year ago and flunked my undergrad badly. I missed my calling but after a year of working I've found I missed my calling and my degree I have is not what I want to do for life.

I'd like to be able to program, I'm studying Python on my own at present but feel Java and C is where the money is. Plus with those languages, you need some formal qualificiations in order to earn a junior role.. so I got looking.

I've been looking on OU and local universities for post graduate courses related to this and although there is offers in abundance of computing courses, all require a computing bachelors background or many more years of experience in the industry.

How do I go about getting a postgraduate course under my belt heading for a masters, without this? Or am I misunderstanding what I must do as a graduate? I thought postgraduate courses were for those whom wanted to go back to uni for whatever reason.

Thanks
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi connorja

Sorry to hear that your Undergraduate studies did not go well, but the silver lining is that you have now found the career that you want.

A postgraduate degree in Computing would most likely be a MSc (masters). However, a postgraduate course is the next level up of qualification rather than "for people who want to return to their studies for whatever reason". Most unis need you to have an undergraduate level of understanding before you can do a postgraduate degree.

It sounds like you might want to investigate the possibilities of going back to University to do another undergraduate degree, but if you choose to do this make sure you seek advice of student finance and funding.

Good luck,

Emma P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.