Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How Marx made the Right - interesting documentary Watch

ReputationRep:
    Interesting documentary about how Marx shaped the modern right and how this is changing. Not entirely groundbreaking but I things into perspective well:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5PA_mKWxQHE

ReputationRep:
    Why is there an obsession on these forums about Marx? Is it something you learn in GCSE politics or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Why is there an obsession on these forums about Marx? Is it something you learn in GCSE politics or something?
    Actually I studied Marxism at Kent University...

Dont know why you’ve become so ‘triggered’
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Interesting documentary about how Marx shaped the modern right and how this is changing. Not entirely groundbreaking but I things into perspective well:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5PA_mKWxQHE
    I've listened to a segment in it and will listen to the rest later.

The central argument, which I fundamentally disagree with is the idea that neoliberalism = freedom.

Milton Friedman supported the overthrow of a democratically elected Chilean government and the imposition of a brutal dictator, just because Pinochet was right wing economically. So I won't be taking lectures off 'libertarians' about how they support 'freedom'. Not to mention how economically right wing countries incresingly clamp down on trade unions and their rights. Hardly 'freedom' galore.

Capitalism and neoliberalism are authoritarian structures. In 'free-market' states, you don't get a menanigful choice. Either you participate in the dog eat dog market in which you are only judged on how much wealth you can produce, or you end up on the scrap heap. Qualities such as loyalty, honesty and integrity are discarded. The only thing that matters is how much money you can make. There is no choice or freedom.

In neoliberal systems, the state enforce this system. It also grants incredible amounts of power and influence to big business and money, over democratically elected politicians.

The key point though, is that such a system fails on its merits. Less 'free-market' countries such as in Scandanavia or Germany, are far more economically productive than the UK or USA. They outperform us to the degree that their workers produce in four days what we do in five. Not to mention that they tend to have greater equality, less poverty and far higher levels of happiness and job satisfaction than we do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    I've listened to a segment in it and will listen to the rest later.

The central argument, which I fundamentally disagree with is the idea that neoliberalism = freedom.

Milton Friedman supported the overthrow of a democratically elected Chilean government and the imposition of a brutal dictator, just because Pinochet was right wing economically. So I won't be taking lectures off 'libertarians' about how they support 'freedom'. Not to mention how economically right wing countries incresingly clamp down on trade unions and their rights. Hardly 'freedom' galore.

Capitalism and neoliberalism are authoritarian structures. In 'free-market' states, you don't get a menanigful choice. Either you participate in the dog eat dog market in which you are only judged on how much wealth you can produce, or you end up on the scrap heap. Qualities such as loyalty, honesty and integrity are discarded. The only thing that matters is how much money you can make. There is no choice or freedom.

In neoliberal systems, the state enforce this system. It also grants incredible amounts of power and influence to big business and money, over democratically elected politicians.

The key point though, is that such a system fails on its merits. Less 'free-market' countries such as in Scandanavia or Germany, are far more economically productive than the UK or USA. They outperform us to the degree that their workers produce in four days what we do in five. Not to mention that they tend to have greater equality, less poverty and far higher levels of happiness and job satisfaction than we do.
    Probably best to listen to it from beginning to end as you’ve gotten the wrong impressions

The author is not a libertarian and describes himself as a red Tory.

His point is that the Marxists and Neoliberals were strikingly similar in how they thought and operated.

ReputationRep:
    Actually I studied Marxism at Kent University...

Dont know why you’ve become so ‘triggered’
    There seems to be an obsession with it on these forums and I don't really understand why. It is not something talked about in mainstream politics, historical politic discussions on TV / radio or anywhere else in fact.

I am just curious why it is seemingly so relevant on here. That's all.

ReputationRep:
    There seems to be an obsession with it on these forums and I don't really understand why. It is not something talked about in mainstream politics, historical politic discussions on TV / radio or anywhere else in fact.

Marxism is somewhat taboo I guess, it also doesn’t help that so many people are ignorant of it (including many ‘marxists’)

It’s difficult to understate how influential Marx (and his successors) our to our current political discourse as the above video highlights.

ReputationRep:

You are on a student forum. The people who are likely to use a student forum to discuss politics are gonna self select for politics nerds who talk about Marx.

Mainstream politics is largely propaganda. If you want a more detailed analysis of politics and history you are gonna encounter the M world along with other theories. Anyway, leftists ideas are becoming more mainstream now, have you not seen the right wing discourse and/or establishment **** itself over Corbyn? The M word is back in use on the mainstream propaganda level. Both as positive and negative propaganda.

Also I have zero formal education of politics. I'm self taught and talking about politics online is part of the learning process for me. It forces you to articulate stuff. People like me are not supposed to know anything about how the society I live in works beyond how to be a good employee. I can give a Marxist reason for why I was never taught Marx Part of the reason I'm on here is it scratches an itch I don't get out with the rest of my fellow plebs.

ReputationRep:
    Marxism is somewhat taboo I guess, it also doesn’t help that so many people are ignorant of it (including many ‘marxists’)
    I'd agree with that. The Wiki page on Marxism sheds absolutely no light on what it actual is at all. Just that there are many flavours.

I don't have time to watch the video but am always rather sceptical of videos used to put forward an argument. They are generally even more biased than most writing.

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree with that. The Wiki page on Marxism sheds absolutely no light on what it actual is at all. Just that there are many flavours.

I don't have time to watch the video but am always rather sceptical of videos used to put forward an argument. They are generally even more biased than most writing.
    It’s not really making an argument it’s more pointing out similarities between two supppsedky opposite political belief systems
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It’s not really making an argument it’s more pointing out similarities between two supppsedky opposite political belief systems
    Marx and Adam Smith actually agreed on quite a lot.

Those who support Adam Smith rarely tend to mention his opposition to huge wealth inequality and the concentration of capital.

ReputationRep:
    I am sure you're right. I can't help but feel that politics is a bit like education, namely, there is no real concept of a new idea in it. People come up with fancy slogans and wrappers for what are essentially long held ideas.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.