Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have high qualifications enough to get into Oxbridge but I will chose QMU because I am kind of afraid to not be good enough for a big university as my English is still not good enough to understand and explain myself properly, plus studying in Scotland is free compared to UK.

I've also heard that QMU its a new UNI but has a good environment and good teachers.

Opinions?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Babyplease)
    I have high qualifications enough to get into Oxbridge but I will chose QMU because I am kind of afraid to not be good enough for a big university as my English is still not good enough to understand and explain myself properly, plus studying in Scotland is free compared to UK.

I've also heard that QMU its a new UNI but has a good environment and good teachers.

Opinions?
    Your life and your choice.

Oxbridge is the opportunity of a lifetime. Imo apply and see if you get in and then think about it, even if that means a few years, whereby you could improve your English. Did you get an offer? Did you go and visit?

If after weighing everything up yu want QMU, then thats up to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Your life and your choice.

Oxbridge is the opportunity of a lifetime. Imo apply and see if you get in and then think about it, even if that means a few years, whereby you could improve your English. Did you get an offer? Did you go and visit?

If after weighing everything up yu want QMU, then thats up to you.
    I have 8A*, that makes me think I will receive an offer since my marks are good and they always reserve space for international students. However I don't see myself meeting all their requirements, language is a barrier, and if you want to be the best and go to he best uni, you shouldn't worry about the language, but about the subject itself.

I was wondering if I decide to go somewhere else, say Exeter, QMU etc. Would it really make the difference employementwise? Like companies do really care if your degree is from Bristol UNI or Westminister?

ReputationRep:
    I have 8A*, that makes me think I will receive an offer since my marks are good and they always reserve space for international students. However I don't see myself meeting all their requirements, language is a barrier, and if you want to be the best and go to he best uni, you shouldn't worry about the language, but about the subject itself.
    Offers are never guaranteed from Oxford, and would be very difficult if you don't have the entry requirements (you should ask an AT on here to really know). Which subject(s) is this for? Is there an admissions test?

I was wondering if I decide to go somewhere else, say Exeter, QMU etc. Would it really make the difference employementwise? Like companies do really care if your degree is from Bristol UNI or Westminister?
    It could, especially in some specific subjects, e.g. Law / Jurisprudence. It typically doesn't long-term, provided that you go somewhere good.
    • Very Important Poster

You have to get the offer first and it looks like you are a long way off, so theres no real decision to make.

Yes Imo it makes a difference. If you got an offer it would be worth spending time to improve your English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    Offers are never guaranteed from Oxford, and would be very difficult if you don't have the entry requirements (you should ask an AT on here to really know). Which subject(s) is this for? Is there an admissions test?

It could, especially in some specific subjects, e.g. Law / Jurisprudence. It typically doesn't long-term, provided that you go somewhere good.
    Many thanks for your reply, I would apply for Economics & Management since Oxford dont offer Business & Managemnt.

What does that sentence mean? "It typically doesn't long-term, provided that you go somewhere good
    "
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

Opinions?
    My strongest advice will be to apply to both oxbridge and qmul. If you dont get into oxbridge, then you know.

It will be a big shame to miss out on Oxbridge because of your personal insecurities.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    You have to get the offer first and it looks like you are a long way off, so theres no real decision to make.

Yes Imo it makes a difference. If you got an offer it would be worth spending time to improve your English.

(Original post by Wired_1800)
    My strongest advice will be to apply to both oxbridge and qmul. If you dont get into oxbridge, then you know.

It will be a big shame to miss out on Oxbridge because of your personal insecurities.

Good luck
    Thank you for your advices.

I will then apply for both and then see, in te meanwhile I will also check opiniones about QMU as they have a bad reputation, but I don't know if it is because its a NEW (2007) uni or because it isn't a great university indeed.

ReputationRep:
    QMU is by definition a university although I know people who've been there (not permanently but for a high school course) and said compared to the uni they're at now, QMU is more of a college standard. With your grades I would apply somewhere more highly regarded.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.