Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do so many young people have depression. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Recently in school we had a whole thing about depression and how it effects young people. I can understand why some people get depressed but can anybody offer me some insight on why it effects so many young people?

ReputationRep:
    I think its great that people like you are discussing this. I think its down to conflicting opinions in today's world. young people are the future so we should all strive to help each other. I don't mean to point the finger at anyone but excessive liberalism keeps changing people's views of the world. kids just can't be kids anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparks17)
    I think its great that people like you are discussing this. I think its down to conflicting opinions in today's world. I don't mean to point the finger at anyone but excessive liberalism keeps changing people's views of the world. kids just can't be kids anymore.
    I think that's a fair point, if we where able to help kids with the issues that they see everyday then they could see that they could talk to people and lower rates of deppresion

ReputationRep:
    Many reasons:
    -depression used to be taboo
    -parents demanding too much from their children
    -parents becoming too overprotective, not letting their children do what they did when they were young (including going to school by oneself)

ReputationRep:
    Because it's hip/trendy thing to say you have it. My guess and it's only a guess, is that a large minority of teens who say they are depressed actually arent but are attention seekers. Unfortunately this detracts from real depression cases and wastes valuable resources in helping those who truly need it.

ReputationRep:
    I feel depressed very often. Mostly because I don't know what I want to do with my life. I love all the subjects at school which makes me miss when I was doing GCSE's last year and all the years before that.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Many reasons:
    -depression used to be taboo
    -parents demanding too much from their children
    -parents becoming too overprotective, not letting their children do what they did when they were young (including going to school by oneself)
    I really agree with your first point depression was completely un talked about especially in young men. But I hadn't even considered the other two. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    young people are the future, we should all help each other to be the best that we can be, and that means confronting and overcoming depression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guru Jason)
    Because it's hip/trendy thing to say you have it. My guess and it's only a guess, is that a large minority of teens who say they are depressed actually arent but are attention seekers. Unfortunately this detracts from real depression cases and wastes valuable resources in helping those who truly need it.
    And that would ruin anyone who actually has a medical reason for being depressed. I understand your point if the liars are given all the attention then those who actually need help are forgotten about. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm depressed lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    I feel depressed very often. Mostly because I don't know what I want to do with my life. I love all the subjects at school which makes me miss when I was doing GCSE's last year and all the years before that.
    And from that uncertainty young people like yourself get depressed. I hope you get through your problems and remember it's never bad for talking about it. Thank you and good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Godofdestruction)
    And from that uncertainty young people like yourself get depressed. I hope you get through your problems and remember it's never bad for talking about it. Thank you and good luck
    Ah thanks. I do a lot of extracurricular stuff like piano, viola, drama and writing articles for school magazines which is kind of a link to the past for me. Sometimes it makes me happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    Ah thanks. I do a lot of extracurricular stuff like piano, viola, drama and writing articles for school magazines which is kind of a link to the past for me. Sometimes it makes me happy.
    It seems to me that happiness is the best cure for depression, If something makes you happy then don't stop keep going.

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes wonder if I could be classed as depressed because I feel down quite often, mainly because of my father. I feel immense pressure to be successful, all the while it becoming more and more impossible to be successful. All the demands of uni, struggles getting a job, getting a place to live etc. A-Levels have screwed me up, because at the start of year 12 I had so much motivation to achieve and succeed, but now that I've started uni I have no motivation and I'm just not sure what I want to do now. A-Levels got me so stressed and worked up that it's put me off trying to achieve things because in my opinion it isn't worth the effort. Sure I felt good on results day when I got into uni, but now reality has sunk in and I don't see the point. I'm also in a long-distance relationship that my father hates so he's giving me grief about that.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ls-young-women
    interesting article

ReputationRep:
    have you tried talking to your dad about how he makes you feel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    I sometimes wonder if I could be classed as depressed because I feel down quite often, mainly because of my father. I feel immense pressure to be successful, all the while it becoming more and more impossible to be successful. All the demands of uni, struggles getting a job, getting a place to live etc. A-Levels have screwed me up, because at the start of year 12 I had so much motivation to achieve and succeed, but now that I've started uni I have no motivation and I'm just not sure what I want to do now. A-Levels got me so stressed and worked up that it's put me off trying to achieve things because in my opinion it isn't worth the effort. Sure I felt good on results day when I got into uni, but now reality has sunk in and I don't see the point. I'm also in a long-distance relationship that my father hates so he's giving me grief about that.
    I'm sorry to hear that. I really can't give any advice on your situation but I hope you somehow fix this please don't give up hope. You'll make it through.

ReputationRep:
    Bleak future and fewer coping skills

ReputationRep:
    Also increased reliance on technology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poooky)
    Also increased reliance on technology
    I didn't think the increased reliance on tech could be a additional cause of depression but in a world where you can determine your worth by who like what on instagram it makes an unfortunate bit of sense. Thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.