Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do so many young people have depression. Watch

I think media/ social media plays a big role. Seeing posts from celebrities having 'fun' can make people compare it with their own lives. Also there is too much information online so you don't know what to believe. Doing exersize and sports can also reduce depression but because so many people are on their phones all day means people dont go out as much.

ReputationRep:
    honestly since educating myself on the evils of capitalism i just wake up each morning wondering if i should even bother

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babsxox)
    honestly since educating myself on the evils of capitalism i just wake up each morning wondering if i should even bother
    that's deep bro.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what they mean by it.

Depressed can be merely a mood. That happens to 99.9% of the people out there. Just like happy is a mood and it happens to almost anyone (except Ann Coulter, I don't think she ever felt happiness in her miserable life)

But depressed can also be a constant state. In which case, you've a problem and you need help.

So, y'know, it's not that surprising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guru Jason)
    Because it's hip/trendy thing to say you have it. My guess and it's only a guess, is that a large minority of teens who say they are depressed actually arent but are attention seekers. Unfortunately this detracts from real depression cases and wastes valuable resources in helping those who truly need it.
    Bull, it ain't. Outside of online communities and tumblr, it's not "hip" to tell someone you suffer from depression and see a therapist and/or take medication for it. A lot of people will assume you're "crazy" or "dangerous" and will treat you differently.

It's especially not "trendy" if they see you in your worst. I mean, going for weeks without showering, rubbish pilling everywhere, catatonic and unable to take care of yourself even at a minimal level of basic functioning.

Not trendy at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Godofdestruction)
    Recently in school we had a whole thing about depression and how it effects young people. I can understand why some people get depressed but can anybody offer me some insight on why it effects so many young people?
    Well, picking apart what you mean by 'so many young people' might be a good place to start. Do you have any statistics to suggest that depression is particularly prevalent in young people? If not, the whole basis of your question sort of falls apart.

Most of the statistics you can find online that suggest that the incidence of depression is increasing over time misunderstand the difference between people reporting symptoms consistent with depression, and actually being diagnosed with it. Scroll down to point 6 here (along with the accompanying graph), and you'll see that even the ONS apparently doesn't know the difference between the terms 'signs' and 'symptoms', or realise that reported symptoms outside of the context of medical assessment can't be taken to signify a specific illness. Lots of people report symptoms of depression, but those symptoms aren't exclusive to that particular diagnosis.. ergo, using those sorts of stats to suggest anything about prevalence/incidence of depression is fruitless.

It's also worth pointing out that there's a lot of misinformation/misunderstanding (both within this thread and among the wider population) about what depression actually is. I often hear people saying 'everyone gets depressed sometimes', and while that may be true if you're using a colloquial meaning of 'depression', it certainly isn't true of the psychiatric condition known as depression. Those two things are poles apart; one is a normal (though unpleasant) aspect of human life, and the other isn't.

Being an adult or student is simply easier.

The issues (i can think of anyway) listed from the biggest to smallest causes of depression are

1) household abuse/ domestic violence (the worst by far)
    2) bullying
    3) severe poverty/living in a s**thole

Large gap

4) severe illness
    5) death of family/friends
    6) general stress (insecure about looks/grades/in the grand scheme unimportant stuff)

CONT

People under 18 could easily get any of those and would be unable to do anything. If you're an adult (or uni student with a sufficient loan) the main causes (1,2 and 3) are very easily avoidable *

1) if you have abusive parents it's hard to do anything, and young people are too young to understand what's going on. If you have an abusive partner you could move out on the day.
    2) It's much easier to change jobs than move schools, and you have increased understanding of what's going on/how to deal with it. People are generally less violent/nasty with age aswell.
    3) You can't do anything about this if you're born into the wrong family as a child, if you're an adult it's easily avoidable

*Assuming that you manage to get a decent job/go to uni with appropriate maintenance. If you're stuck in min wage s**t they will all still be an issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Godofdestruction)
    Recently in school we had a whole thing about depression and how it effects young people. I can understand why some people get depressed but can anybody offer me some insight on why it effects so many young people?
    Young people are just growing up. They have been in education most of their life and have never seen the real world in full. The sudden change from having near enough no responsibilities to having so many is really hard to deal with. (Or the sudden change of having a lot of support to having near enough no support.)

Also, lots of people have no idea what they want to do in life after school or education or they know what they want to do but because of pressure from society, they choose to do something they don't want to do in order to gain money.

They don't want to take the risks in order to do things they want. For example, if you want to become an artist, there will be lots of negative opinions on this and most people would change what they want to do. (Such as it is unstable, hard to get into and most of the time you won't gain enough money from it.)

People also want to impress their parents and others they look up to by doing what they want you to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Being an adult or student is simply easier.

The issues (i can think of anyway) listed from the biggest to smallest causes of depression are

1) household abuse/ domestic violence (the worst by far)
    2) bullying
    3) severe poverty/living in a s**thole

Large gap

4) severe illness
    5) death of family/friends
    6) general stress (insecure about looks/grades/in the grand scheme unimportant stuff)
    CONT

People under 18 could easily get any of those and would be unable to do anything. If you're an adult (or uni student with a sufficient loan) the main causes (1,2 and 3) are very easily avoidable *

1) if you have abusive parents it's hard to do anything, and young people are too young to understand what's going on. If you have an abusive partner you could move out on the day.
    2) It's much easier to change jobs than move schools, and you have increased understanding of what's going on/how to deal with it. People are generally less violent/nasty with age aswell.
    3) You can't do anything about this if you're born into the wrong family as a child, if you're an adult it's easily avoidable

*Assuming that you manage to get a decent job/go to uni with appropriate maintenance. If you're stuck in min wage s**t they will all still be an issue.
    Curious.. how old are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
    Bull, it ain't. Outside of online communities and tumblr, it's not "hip" to tell someone you suffer from depression and see a therapist and/or take medication for it. A lot of people will assume you're "crazy" or "dangerous" and will treat you differently.

It's especially not "trendy" if they see you in your worst. I mean, going for weeks without showering, rubbish pilling everywhere, catatonic and unable to take care of yourself even at a minimal level of basic functioning.

Not trendy at all.
    The whole Tumblr culture was what I was saying the problem was. You see celebrities come out about their problems and you get edgy teens self diagnosing themselves. These teens don't see the symptoms you have described and it makes it harder to help those who needed when you have to sift through all the bs to see if a person truly needs help.

I'm a 20 yo male student and have experienced childhood (obviously lol), full time min wage (for a single year) and being a uni student so can kind of compare them.

Min wage was worse than student, both were far better than childhood. Obviously childhood depends from person to person, but how you could actually be depressed as a student/with a job is completely beyond me (excluding exceptional cases like rape victims, family dying or just generally disturbing stuff happening).

ReputationRep:
    Because they are being raised in unstable households.

I think a lot parents are to blame as they don't spend enough time with their kids, and are not mature enough to handle the responsibilities of parenthood, which requires a lot of sacrifices.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly a consequence of not having God in their lives.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I don't get why people keep mentioning it's due to a lack of career prospects or down to the fact that people can't get a mortgage, because people in the UK actually have far more opportunities than those in developing countries, due to how rich and well connected the UK is.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    how you could actually be depressed as a student/with a job is completely beyond me (excluding exceptional cases like rape victims, family dying or just generally disturbing stuff happening).
    Because it's not always caused by environmental factors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparks17)
    I think its great that people like you are discussing this. I think its down to conflicting opinions in today's world. I don't mean to point the finger at anyone but excessive liberalism keeps changing people's views of the world. kids just can't be kids anymore.
    What do you mean by "(excessive) liberalism"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    The Tories have destroyed young people's futures. You can get depressed just thinking about it lol.

Obviously it doesn't apply to Tory children though since their parents can pay for everything and get them a job etc.
    40% of voters can provide their children with money for everything and a job? Didn't know society was that rich.

(Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Nah I saw in some news articles that members of the Tory youth groups from universities are still burning £20 notes in front of homeless people. So they've got a lot of fun activities to cheer themselves up with.
    But every time you stop having fun and start thinking depression comes up. The problem might be that young people now spend more time reading (more people go to uni) which leaves a lot of time for thinking. People who, by necessity, have a full life are less likely to be depressed.

(Original post by Guru Jason)
    I dunno about them Tory children. They can't hunt foxes properly so maybe that gets them down.
    There are negative sides in everyone's life, tory, labour or libdems, rich or poor...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FakeNewsEditor)

Not trendy at all.
    Spot on. Depression is not a trendy illness that people fake for attention, and the stigma that still surrounds it stops people from seeking the help they need: I've been in exactly that situation, refusing to keep seeing a therapist or stay on medication for it; instead I've dealt with it very unhealthily (everyone say repression and self-medication). I would suspect what is more likely is not a higher incidence, but mental health awareness and facilities that means it's detected with greater accuracy than in the past.

ReputationRep:
    I blame the One Show.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.