Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do so many young people have depression. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Today there is pressure more than ever to confirm with the role social media is not playing in young people's lives.

ReputationRep:
    Causes:
    - relationship with parents
    - grades (lack of motivation-->procrastination--->guilt + fear for future outcomes)
    - young people are idealists therefore likely to be unsatisfied with the political and socio-economical situation in country/Europe/world
    - loneliness
    - idleness
    - social networks
    - stress/uncertainty over future job/economic condition (even for rich/privileged people there is still pressure to succeed and the bar is set even higher, while the job market becomes more competitive. "when life was simpler" by Harry & Paul gives you an idea about how things are now more complicated relating to jobs, mortgages, marriage, etc.)
    - dissatisfaction with interpersonal relationships/society

ReputationRep:
    Because life sucks?

doesn't take a genius

ReputationRep:
    A combination of things that are part of the new generation:

.growing up in a broken home
    .growing up in poverty
    .growing up with SJW parent(s)
    .growing up with very lenient parents who made you turn into an over-sensitive snowflake who can't handle the world
    .huge pressure put on youngsters to look a certain way, despite having body acceptance.
    .bullying is still rife at school, maybe even worse than ever now considering that teachers don't even try anymore

ReputationRep:
    Because university exists

a levels

ReputationRep:
    As someone going through depression at the moment, I can relate and comment on this topic.

My depression got severely worse after I was made redundant from my job a few months ago. I literally have EVERYTHING for a graduate level job - A FIRST CLASS COMPUTING DEGREE, relevant work experience and good people skills.

But anyways, everyday is a struggle and I just look at tomorrow the same as it was yesterday. Nothing to motivate me and I have become a lot lazier.

To the point why young people such as myself get depressed - well...

1) The ****ing government treat as like $hit. Yes $HIT! Why is that a young person has to pay £9000 a year to go to university, when it used to be free? It is expensive and actually deters smart people from lower income families from going to university...
    2) Young people get judged a lot by society. Society think that young people of this country are trouble and lazy. They perceive as "self entitled brats"
    3) NO JOBS FOR YOUNG PEOPLE! I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS HERE, but there a no jobs for young people - especially for graduates. Employers think that a university degree is not enough. They want to see relevant experience, b1tch please where the **** am I supposed to get 2 years worth of professional experience from when I have spent the last 4 years at university! Even if there were jobs, they wouldn't pay a young graduate well and treat them like a SLAVE!
    4) Lack of support for young people. YES REALLY, there is a lack of support for young people like organisations and support groups for young people

ReputationRep:
    Places like this don't help. I've just read through a few threads about taking up a first job offer after graduating since I'll be in the same position on Friday, and some of the replies of (misguided) entitlement have made me feel closer to the edge than I did already. Add that to the shocking welfare system, ridiculous levels of consumerism and lack of opportunities for those looking to start their career (literally every job wants you to have X amount of years experience - umm I've been at University for the last 3 years..) and you get the perfect storm for a depressed youngster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Godofdestruction)
    Recently in school we had a whole thing about depression and how it effects young people. I can understand why some people get depressed but can anybody offer me some insight on why it effects so many young people?
    One thing we know is every generation that passes the levels of the commons mental conditions such as anxiety and depression rises.

For the vast majority of cases these cases do not have a biological cause.

Which leads to the conclusion it is environmental.

What those environmental factors are is up for debate.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fillinthe_)
    Places like this don't help. I've just read through a few threads about taking up a first job offer after graduating since I'll be in the same position on Friday, and some of the replies of (misguided) entitlement have made me feel closer to the edge than I did already. Add to the shocking welfare system, growing consumerism and lack of opportunities for those looking to start their career (literally every job wants you to have X amount of years experience - umm I've been at University for the last 3 years..) and you get the perfect storm for a depressed youngster.
    Tell me about it mate! They (the employers) want to see X amount of years experience. Well how is a young person supposed to have it, if they were a full time student for like 4 years...

Then when they can't find people to fill the criteria, they either outsource the jobs (well in the IT world anyway) or start hiring foreigners. Got no beef with foreigners, but I feel that younger people should be a priority - especially ones from BME ethnic minorities

ReputationRep:
    There's more pressure than ever on young people to be somebody and make something of themselves. People on social media living fake perfect lives and celebrities and their reality shows gives youngsters a warped perception of what they should be doing with their lives and what they should look and act like if they wish to attain social status.

ReputationRep:
    I feel because there is so much more expectation and pressure on young people today and comparing yourself to others. Pretty average answer

ReputationRep:
    Social Media.

ReputationRep:
    This actually makes me sad af. Why are so many people sad? I'm actually crying right now idk why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    Ah thanks. I do a lot of extracurricular stuff like piano, viola, drama and writing articles for school magazines which is kind of a link to the past for me. Sometimes it makes me happy.
    Dw these things are highly protective against having a depressive episode so definitely aim to keep them up!

The worst case is when people get depressed and they have nothing keeping them going, thankfully it's not the case for a lot of people including yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ha7er)
    Then when they can't find people to fill the criteria, they either outsource the jobs (well in the IT world anyway) or start hiring foreigners. Got no beef with foreigners, but I feel that younger people should be a priority - especially ones from BME ethnic minorities
    What makes people who happen to be BME more deserving or suitable for jobs than anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    What makes people who happen to be BME more deserving or suitable for jobs than anyone else?
    No I am just saying, people from BME minorities tend to struggle a bit more when it comes to finding a job. I am from a BME minority group myself and have seen this first hand myself. I don't care what anyone says but I feel that I am discriminated against sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *pitseleh*)
    Well, picking apart what you mean by 'so many young people' might be a good place to start. Do you have any statistics to suggest that depression is particularly prevalent in young people? If not, the whole basis of your question sort of falls apart.

Most of the statistics you can find online that suggest that the incidence of depression is increasing over time misunderstand the difference between people reporting symptoms consistent with depression, and actually being diagnosed with it. Scroll down to point 6 here (along with the accompanying graph), and you'll see that even the ONS apparently doesn't know the difference between the terms 'signs' and 'symptoms', or realise that reported symptoms outside of the context of medical assessment can't be taken to signify a specific illness. Lots of people report symptoms of depression, but those symptoms aren't exclusive to that particular diagnosis.. ergo, using those sorts of stats to suggest anything about prevalence/incidence of depression is fruitless.

It's also worth pointing out that there's a lot of misinformation/misunderstanding (both within this thread and among the wider population) about what depression actually is. I often hear people saying 'everyone gets depressed sometimes', and while that may be true if you're using a colloquial meaning of 'depression', it certainly isn't true of the psychiatric condition known as depression. Those two things are poles apart; one is a normal (though unpleasant) aspect of human life, and the other isn't.
    Thanks for the response, I really don't have any that's why I started the thread all that they told us and in all the video's they showed they all simply said that young people suffer more with depression. But thank you for all your work I'm glad you contributed thank you a lot. And yes I also agree that the difference between depression and feeling depressed should be acknowledged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
    There's more pressure than ever on young people to be somebody and make something of themselves. People on social media living fake perfect lives and celebrities and their reality shows gives youngsters a warped perception of what they should be doing with their lives and what they should look and act like if they wish to attain social status.
    Also doesn't help that creeps are running around punching babies.

ReputationRep:
    1. Stress - 50 years ago only top 10-20% of pupils did A-Levels and evenless went to university. Nowadays practically everyone is expected to go to university. Whilst it is a good thing that standards have risen, for some which are less gifted/financially disadvantaged/have physical or mental disabilities it is depressing to see that they cannot fulfill the expectations set upon them. This leads to misplaced feelings of worthlessness, self-hated and selfbelittlement.
    2. Family - The idea of a family has changed dramatically. In most families it is common for both parents to work, and therefore spend less time with their children- this is often caused due to financial difficulty, which frankly is everywhere as in the last year inflation has risen by 1.7% ( this is massive BTW). This can lead to achievements being unacknowledged, financial issues tanking predecence over emotional issues etc. This can also mean that parents and family members will often not only not see the child as priority - as they are worried by work, money, etc - which can damage the childs mental health and can also mean that mental health issues are ignored and are untreated.
    3.Boredom -- Being a teenager is rather boring, you often can't work much ( even when you can the work is often basic manual labour which is again boring), the school work is often stressful but not terribly exciting, and that is where mental health problems crop up. Boredom is frustrating, frustration can bleed out in stresss, anger, anxiety, sadness etc which can all lead to mental health problems.

These are just my ideas, no clue if much of this is true, so yeah hope this helps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.