Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do so many young people have depression. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zxyn)
    lack of hope due to politics (growing up in the 00’s we were given huge hope with New Labour, something this country has been lacking since 2008
    I'm unsure where this huge hope with New Labour has come from. New Labour was about the style of government combined with higher public spending rather than any radical change in policy from the previous Conservative administration. Looking back New Labour achieved surprisingly little during their 13 years in office after factoring out wars in Iraq and Afghanistan; the war on terror; and massive public debt. In some respects Blair was lucky to be around when the economy was good but once his cheesy grin had disappeared from the nation's TV screens and the economy turned for the worse then New Labour had little to offer the electorate because its policies were barely any different from the Conservatives. Messrs Cameron and Osborne may have governed Britain badly and kicked the stuffing out of the younger generation, but in 2010 and 2015 why would voters want the photocopy when the original was available?

ReputationRep:
    People here saying young people today are expected to do more and are under more stress need to read a history book. Jeez, not helping the snowflake stereotype.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Godofdestruction)
    Recently in school we had a whole thing about depression and how it effects young people. I can understand why some people get depressed but can anybody offer me some insight on why it effects so many young people?
    I have started to feel depressed because I have anxiety and not very many friends. I sometimes feel that nobody cares about me and I have also contemplated if it is worth going on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom K16)
    I have started to feel depressed because I have anxiety and not very many friends. I sometimes feel that nobody cares about me and I have also contemplated if it is worth going on.
    It is please don't give up. I promise that through all the rough times and all the bad, ugly and evil there will still be a reason for going on friends can come into your life at any time, If you need to speak to someone please contact a service that can help places like child-line are open 24/7 you don't have to give up people are out there to help you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zyzzyspirit)
    What makes you think there's more depressed people now than before? Get this bullsh*t outta here, young people sure love to cry about anything
    That's why I asked I didn't know enough about it myself

society expectations,school expectations,your expectations,parents expectations

ReputationRep:
      Because it's trendy. Also because hormones make you moody and doctors love to dish out citalopram like its candy so all these kids go into adulthood thinking there's something wrong with them and they're dependant on medication. (Obviously I realise mental health issues are incredibly serious and benefit from treatment, I just wish the NHS focused more on alternative forms of therapy such as CBT)

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by VirgoStrain)
      In most cases the opposite happens
      what do you mean?

Because life is ****

ReputationRep:
      They worry about not being god enough. They worry about not being able to fill their parents expectations. They're scared of war, not being able to do what they want to in life. They worry about making huge decisions which could affect their future. They worry about not being up to date with gadgets etc. They worry about their stability in life. Then, they worry about exams, their grades, their personality. They loose friends, adapt to this new 'teenagery' lifestyle. They're upset because they haven't enjoyed childhood properly. They worry about their parent's health. They worry about their parents relationship. They worry about being judged, seen as inferior. They have a gut feeling that something bad will happen. They get mood swings, feel bad about everything, they blame themselves. They don't want to accept the fact that they are growing up. They feel left out, they miss loved ones, they want to turn back and fix mistakes.
      But there is also so much more. Instead of shouting and telling them off, help them, support them, talk to them. DO NOT tell them to control themselves. They can't.

From a 14 year old.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Arran90)
      I'm unsure where this huge hope with New Labour has come from. New Labour was about the style of government combined with higher public spending rather than any radical change in policy from the previous Conservative administration. Looking back New Labour achieved surprisingly little during their 13 years in office after factoring out wars in Iraq and Afghanistan; the war on terror; and massive public debt. In some respects Blair was lucky to be around when the economy was good but once his cheesy grin had disappeared from the nation's TV screens and the economy turned for the worse then New Labour had little to offer the electorate because its policies were barely any different from the Conservatives. Messrs Cameron and Osborne may have governed Britain badly and kicked the stuffing out of the younger generation, but in 2010 and 2015 why would voters want the photocopy when the original was available?
      I think you take for granted the changes they made, the fall in poverty, the increased opportunity, wider access to university, more acceptance and recognition of LGBT peoples, funding in new technologies, NHS quality at all time highs, drastic Education system improvements, huge business support and growth, national minimum wage, plenty of grant schemes for poor people, job centres, human rights, rapid growth of apprenticeships, reduced homelessness by 73%, cut long term youth unemployment by 75%, free milk and fruit at school, I could go on.

Compare the country before New Labour and after. Sure the whole idea was to work within the conservative status quo and maintain the capitalist framework, but it achieved plently of left wing goals without the chaos that people believed came with it. I think you forgot Osbourne and Cameron were the copycats, who promised to match Labours budget in 2007? Cameron was the tories answer to Blair, it’s no secret the tories felt threatened by New Labour and hence had to adapt to a more socially Democratic ideology.

Oh yes sorry I almost forgot that it was Blair and Brown that caused the 2008 GLOBAL recession because they didn’t know how to spend. I think you need to actually look at how Gordon Brown handled the crisis and what could’ve been had he not taken the actions he did.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Zxyn)
      I think you take for granted the changes they made
      The fall in poverty - because there was an upswing in the economy more than anything else.

The increased opportunity - describe this in detail.

Wider access to university - New Labour imposed tuition fees.

More acceptance and recognition of LGBT peoples - only benefits a small fraction of society. Traditional blue collar Labour voters are socially conservative in their views and overwhelmingly believe that homosexuality should be kept behind closed doors.

Funding in new technologies - what new technologies? I'm an engineer and my impression of New Labour is that they didn't give a stuff to engineering industries.

NHS quality at all time highs - there is truth in it but that's because of higher public spending.

Drastic Education system improvements - describe these in detail. I was at school at the time and all I can say is apart from more computers it was more bureacracy and more mediocrity.

Huge business support and growth - Tory economic policies. Businesses which donate millions to New Labour election campaigns. New Labour did sod all for the productive economy or engineering and manufacturing which experienced a greater decline than under the Thatcher decade. The collapse of MG Rover was the classic example which highlighted it.

National minimum wage - good idea but it ended up driving wages down as well as up, especially when the economy turned for the worse.

Plenty of grant schemes for poor people - Again, more public spending but whether they really achieved much is debatable. In some cases it was pork barrelling.

Job centres - The job centre was set up by Winston Churchill when he was a Liberal MP. It is a national joke and not fit for purpose.

Human rights - New Labour passed several counter-terrorism laws which contain legislation peculiar to the UK which is a blow for civil liberties - like you can be jailed for 10 years for possessing a book or a video that is legal in the US and most of Europe. David Blunkett signed a badly flawed and one-sided extradition treaty with the US. Ed Balls tried to effectively outlaw home education on the back of alleged child abuse claims. New Labour set up the Prevent strategy to spy on Muslims and make them a suspect community.

Rapid growth of apprenticeships - Apprenticeships came back under New Labour but they really did not do enough to create the quality and quantity needed. Labour wanted over half of all 18 year olds in university.

Reduced homelessness by 73% - Housing wasn't even an issue in the run up to the 1997 general election but house prices skyrocketed under the Labour government which has priced millions of young people out of becoming homeowners and forced them into expensive and insecure private renting. Even those who managed to become homeowners after 2003ish are more often than not clobbered with huge mortgages. New Labour brought back the residential landlord by allowing a buy-to-let craze to take place. Millions of pounds were invested into residential property during the Labour government rather than into productive industries.

Cut long term youth unemployment by 75% - Again, because there was an upswing in the economy more than anything else.

Free milk and fruit at school - I had milk at primary school back when the Conservatives were in government. It was free in nursery but parents had to pay for it in reception to Y2. It cost £2.50 a term in the early 1990s but increased to nearly £12 a term in 2010. The quality of the milk declined as well because of New Labour legislation.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Godofdestruction)
      Recently in school we had a whole thing about depression and how it effects young people. I can understand why some people get depressed but can anybody offer me some insight on why it effects so many young people?
      School
      Grades
      Peer pressure
      Fear of attacks
      Study, study, study...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Luciana Jaliso)
      They worry about not being god enough. They worry about not being able to fill their parents expectations. They're scared of war, not being able to do what they want to in life. They worry about making huge decisions which could affect their future. They worry about not being up to date with gadgets etc. They worry about their stability in life. Then, they worry about exams, their grades, their personality. They loose friends, adapt to this new 'teenagery' lifestyle. They're upset because they haven't enjoyed childhood properly. They worry about their parent's health. They worry about their parents relationship. They worry about being judged, seen as inferior. They have a gut feeling that something bad will happen. They get mood swings, feel bad about everything, they blame themselves. They don't want to accept the fact that they are growing up. They feel left out, they miss loved ones, they want to turn back and fix mistakes.
      But there is also so much more. Instead of shouting and telling them off, help them, support them, talk to them. DO NOT tell them to control themselves. They can't.

From a 14 year old.
      Every generation of teenagers have had those worries you mention, it's not exclusive to millenials. The snowflake problem and the Tumblr problem are what's inflating the real number of depressed teenagers.

ReputationRep:
      Thread needs a huge clean-up imo

ReputationRep:
      ok then

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Dawnbuster)
      c u n t
      I sorry to everyone that came to this thread for it's intended use please ignore what I "godofdestruction" and Sparks17 and the comp student said to that idiot with the dog avatar

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Zxyn)
      Compare the country before New Labour and after. Sure the whole idea was to work within the conservative status quo and maintain the capitalist framework, but it achieved plently of left wing goals without the chaos that people believed came with it. I think you forgot Osbourne and Cameron were the copycats, who promised to match Labours budget in 2007? Cameron was the tories answer to Blair, it’s no secret the tories felt threatened by New Labour and hence had to adapt to a more socially Democratic ideology.
      The term left-wing is vague and imprecise. Economic policies of the left and social policies of the left are technically separable from and independent of each other. Young people clobbered by austerity and the nefarious sides of capitalism more often than not do not have the time and energy to worry about feminism or gay rights, and neither do they want an open doors immigration policy on ideological grounds if Johnny Foreigner takes their jobs or drives their salaries down.

David Cameron was installed as leader to out-Blair Blair at a time when Blairism was waning and society had moved to the right on social issues (like immigration and multiculturalism) and the electorate wanted another Enoch Powell as leader of the Conservatives.

You also omitted that New Labour saw the rise and rise of the BNP from an insignificant fringe party with a couple of hundred members in 1996 into a serious force in politics by 2010 which managed to elect MEPs and a MLA then get one of the best results for any small party since 1945 in the 2010 general election. Has the near collapse of the BNP since 2010 increased the number of young people with depression because now there is no anti-establishment party that actually has a decent level of support from the public?

ReputationRep:
      I mean there's stress from school, social media, and generally trying to figure out relationships and friendships and stuff. I kind of think it's because when you're a teenager you haven't really been through a lot, so the first bad things that happen to you seem really hard to understand and cope with (that's been my experience anyways)

I just wish people were more honest and caring towards one another, like everyone feels really judgemental of others and it's all so unnecessary. A lot of people don't have the support they need to deal with the scary hard stuff, maybe if people were a little more empathetic it might not be so bad.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by crocodile_ears)
      I mean there's stress from school, social media, and generally trying to figure out relationships and friendships and stuff. I kind of think it's because when you're a teenager you haven't really been through a lot, so the first bad things that happen to you seem really hard to understand and cope with (that's been my experience anyways)
      Take into account that teenage life is a relatively modern development in human history. In centuries gone by children moved almost directly into adults without going through a teenage phase. Most 13 year olds were either working or an apprentice. Only teenagers from the nobility or those studying for religious careers were in academic education.

Although teenage life and teenage subculture (largely a product of compulsory education) are often viewed as a defining feature of a modern (civilised?) society it is an unnatural phenomenon.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.