Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Would you say it is better to spend more or less of your maintenance loan on accommodation? I was primarily thinking to go for less so I have more to spend on other things and not rely on my parents allowance too much. But I also want somewhere decent to live for the year because I will be living far from home. I could also get a part time job too I guess.
    Any advice would be really helpful.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really matter. I'm spending I think just under half my loan on accommodation. I got a pretty big loan because of my mum's income so I'm pretty lucky. It just depends on your spending habits. My accommodation is £109 a week for an ensuite room, sharing a kitchen with 3 other people. Other accommodation was £150 for a shared bathroom and kitchen with 12 people, so I got a pretty good deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    It doesn't really matter. I'm spending I think just under half my loan on accommodation. I got a pretty big loan because of my mum's income so I'm pretty lucky. It just depends on your spending habits. My accommodation is £109 a week for an ensuite room, sharing a kitchen with 3 other people. Other accommodation was £150 for a shared bathroom and kitchen with 12 people, so I got a pretty good deal.
    Ah thank you, I think I need to just consider my spending habits to have a proper look now. But my loan will mean I have about £186 a week, and the accommodation would be around £160 a week. That should be decent right? I know it's a bit hard to tell without knowing my spending habits in depth but I was just wondering aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cpavan)
    Ah thank you, I think I need to just consider my spending habits to have a proper look now. But my loan will mean I have about £186 a week, and the accommodation would be around £160 a week. That should be decent right? I know it's a bit hard to tell without knowing my spending habits in depth but I was just wondering aha
    So is that £186 leftover to spend in a week or is the £160 taken off it, so you really only have £26 left over?

ReputationRep:
    You should draw out a budget for the year. Take into account different rent prices and how much that will leave you with per week. Then try to be realistic about how much you'll actually need for food, transport, course costs and leisure. Do the more expensive accommodations leave you with enough? If not....seems pretty obvious not to go for them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.