Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anxieties Making ME DANGEROUS :( Watch

• Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

I have passed my driving test but I have incredibly horrendous anxieties when I get in a car. Now, I know this can seem to sound normal, but I got a car and did a lot of driving around. I absolutely HATED it so much! I was nervous the whole time, having times where I would just go into a panic and be very dangerous due to it.

It was getting so bad that I just got rid of the car a few months ago and I swore I would never go back to it. I would roll back on hills, I would stall all the damn time and I just sat there and cried and cried. It made me so so sad, it really really did.

I can never ever imagine myself driving, I look on routes on google maps and the thought scares me too much. I am so so upset this has happened though and I want to be able to drive so much! The anxieties are far too much for me, what can I do
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, well done you for getting in the car and giving it a go! Secondly, well done for admitting that these anxieties have affected your driving.

I can relate to your post and I found an automatic car to be so much better to drive because there's less to worry about, is this something you've considered at all? You could contact your previous instructor to ask if they can ease your worries by being there with you while you drive for an hour or so? I've been assured that this happens from time to time if people have had breaks from driving/ want some reassurance!

If you passed your test then you can drive, so you just need to figure out a way to get through these feelings! If this anxiety is something you need help with then it's definitely worth speaking to your GP.

Emma

(Original post by DocWho49)
    I have passed my driving test but I have incredibly horrendous anxieties when I get in a car. Now, I know this can seem to sound normal, but I got a car and did a lot of driving around. I absolutely HATED it so much! I was nervous the whole time, having times where I would just go into a panic and be very dangerous due to it.

It was getting so bad that I just got rid of the car a few months ago and I swore I would never go back to it. I would roll back on hills, I would stall all the damn time and I just sat there and cried and cried. It made me so so sad, it really really did.

I can never ever imagine myself driving, I look on routes on google maps and the thought scares me too much. I am so so upset this has happened though and I want to be able to drive so much! The anxieties are far too much for me, what can I do
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by University of Bradford)
    Firstly, well done you for getting in the car and giving it a go! Secondly, well done for admitting that these anxieties have affected your driving.

I can relate to your post and I found an automatic car to be so much better to drive because there's less to worry about, is this something you've considered at all? You could contact your previous instructor to ask if they can ease your worries by being there with you while you drive for an hour or so? I've been assured that this happens from time to time if people have had breaks from driving/ want some reassurance!

If you passed your test then you can drive, so you just need to figure out a way to get through these feelings! If this anxiety is something you need help with then it's definitely worth speaking to your GP.

Emma
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    don't drive ?

congratulations on passing.

I think practice makes perfect, the more you get use to the car you are driving the better it gets.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.