Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What are the weaknesses of the Operating System? Its for my assignment for level 3 IT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerWhizzKid)
    What are the weaknesses of the Operating System? Its for my assignment for level 3 IT
    You are forced into updates, you can't say no. It's incredibly annoying when you turn on your computer and actually want to use it, then you have to wait for it to update itself. You have no control over what updates Microsoft installs on your computer, you're not even told what they are. For these reasons I prefer to use Apple computers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    You are forced into updates, you can't say no. It's incredibly annoying when you turn on your cimouyer and actually want to use it, then you have to wait for it to update itself. You have no control over what updates Microsoft installs on your computer, you're not even told what they are. For these reasons I prefer to use Apple computers.
    Thanks!

Is there any more that you can think of?

Spoiler:
    Show

I've left my assignment till last minute

ReputationRep:
    The windows os is massive, it has a lot of weaknesses. Are you trying to compare it to other OSs or do you just want to know what’s wrong with it?

ReputationRep:
    It has a lot of privacy issues
    The other things mentioned by other people
    Lots of adds in start menu of apps
    Tries to make you use microsoft software e.g. microsoft edge
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It's also not as simple and customizable as Windows 7 - for example, in Windows 7, all you needed to do was look in the Control Panel and you could find all of the settings/diagnostics. Now, in windows 10, it is split between the Control Panel and the "Settings" app, and the Control Panel is harder to locate.
    Furthermore, setting default programs (such as changing the default browser from IE11 to Google Chrome) is more difficult.

Also, Windows 10 seems to use more graphics processing power, which, on computers with integrated graphics, is important - apps and games that would work nicely in fullscreen on Windows 7, would only run on a smaller screen (or not at all) on Windows 10.

edit: Forgot to mention the data that gets sent to Microsoft in the privacy settings (thanks cc85734 for mentioning that). Which, after Windows has been installed/set up, is very difficult to find in the settings.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You are forced into updates, you can't say no. It's incredibly annoying when you turn on your computer and actually want to use it, then you have to wait for it to update itself. You have no control over what updates Microsoft installs on your computer, you're not even told what they are. For these reasons I prefer to use Apple computers.
    Love it when the update to it interrupts a twitch stream. Does it do updates to newer versions any time or just from 8.1 to 10?

ReputationRep:
    This can easily be disabled.

ReputationRep:
    It's easy to hit restart or sleep instead of shutdown on the start menu, and it doesn't ask you "are you sure you want to" do whatever it was you pressed.

That is my only complaint with it as a "normal" user, although I think this was the same on windows 7 as well.

ReputationRep:
    There are a few issues for standard users, mostly privacy but if you know what you're doing you can disable them all.

I uninstalled cortana, all those new full screen metro apps like xbox/groove/sports, removed location services, automatic updates, advertising IDs etc

Slightly autistic but privacy is important to me.

ReputationRep:
    I noticed on XP, that Billy the software thief and his minions could remove programs from my machine. If they can do this, they can also access absolutely anything on the system. I have seen no indications that they have abandoned this approach to life in later versions of Windoze. This gives me heartburn. When i'm doing proprietary work for customers, for example, if i am doing Wi-Fi network design for Camp David, or the White House, the software snoopers can download maps of the properties i'm working on, complete with dimensions. This has obvious risks in today's terrorism environment. For these and other reasons, i've switched over to Linux Mint.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.