Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Before coming to Lancaster I had a bunch of techie questions regarding Internet access which weren't answered on this forum so now that I'm here, these are the answers to some common questions which other techies might have.

General internet speeds over both Ethernet (ResNet) and Eduroam are brilliant. Provided you have a gigabit NIC, you'll be able to saturate it on a quiet afternoon when no one else is online. Even during peak times I've never had the speeds drop below 400Mbps up or down.

Wi-Fi is provided by Eduroam and everywhere I go I've pretty much always had 100Mbps up and down, but obviously depending on your proximity to an access point and 802.11 version being used your results may vary.

Ping times are nice, I've never had a ping go above 4ms.

ResNet requires you to register devices with their MAC address and only allows one device to be connected at a time. You can't use a switch or router even if you try and spoof its MAC or NAT it. You can have multiple devices registered but only one can be online at a time. There's a monthly quota of 250GB but Wi-Fi usage is unlimited and you can have as many devices connected at the same time as you want.

One last thing I should point out is that due to the way ResNet works, the NAT type is STRICT, I haven't had this affect my gaming experience yet, but a lot of games do display a message letting me know that my NAT type is set to strict.

I'm a computer science student so if you've got any other questions before you get here feel free to ask, and I'll do my best to answer.

Name:  6697946573.png
Views: 49
Size:  20.0 KB

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.