Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Russell group law course or one that's high in the rankings? Watch

ReputationRep:
    For law employment, is it better to have gone to a russell group university or one that's high in the law rankings?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Brahiti,

Whilst the Russell Group have many of the highest-ranking universities, there are many high quality universities that are not in the Russell Group, and therefore I'd advice you don't limit yourself just to this particular selection. For example, Aberdeen is considered by the Complete University Guide as the 10th best university for law in the country, but is not Russell Group.

Speaking very generally, Russell Group tends to focus on research-heavy universities, whilst rankings take into consideration the quality of teaching, student satisfaction amongst many other factors.

We have an article that might interest you where you can compare the different universities that offer law - it's our Uni by Uni page.

Hope this helps!

The Lawyer Portal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brahiti)
    For law employment, is it better to have gone to a russell group university or one that's high in the law rankings?
    Which ranking and which unis?

ReputationRep:
    The Russell group is just to do with funding Research. Top Unis such as St Andrews, Bath, Surrey, Lancaster etc aren't Russell group. The Russell Group is seen by employers as a flag for quality students but doesn't mean if you don't go to one you will be penalised e.g. Aberdeen and Dundee are both Non-RG and good for law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    The Russell group is just to do with funding Research. Top Unis such as St Andrews, Bath, Surrey, Lancaster etc aren't Russell group. The Russel Group is seen as employers as a flag for quality students but doesn't mean if you don't go to one you will be penalised e.g. Aberdeen and Newcastle are both Non-RG and good for law.
    newcastle is a RG uni
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    The Russell group is just to do with funding Research. Top Unis such as St Andrews, Bath, Surrey, Lancaster etc aren't Russell group. The Russel Group is seen as employers as a flag for quality students but doesn't mean if you don't go to one you will be penalised e.g. Aberdeen and Newcastle are both Non-RG and good for law.
    or did you mean northumbria uni what is in newcastle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seanbruce)
    newcastle is a RG uni
    I meant Dundee, not sure why the hell I put Newcastle, haha

ReputationRep:
    I meant Dundee, not sure why the hell I put Newcastle, haha
    ahahahhaha both are really good unis

ReputationRep:
    northumbria isnt a RGU but still very good for law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Lawyer Portal)
    Hi Brahiti,

Whilst the Russell Group have many of the highest-ranking universities, there are many high quality universities that are not in the Russell Group, and therefore I'd advice you don't limit yourself just to this particular selection. For example, Aberdeen is considered by the Complete University Guide as the 10th best university for law in the country, but is not Russell Group.

Speaking very generally, Russell Group tends to focus on research-heavy universities, whilst rankings take into consideration the quality of teaching, student satisfaction amongst many other factors.

We have an article that might interest you where you can compare the different universities that offer law - it's our Uni by Uni page.

Hope this helps!

The Lawyer Portal
    What's "this particular selection"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Which ranking and which unis?
    The rankings are all pretty similar. I'm just asking generally.

ReputationRep:
    The rankings are all pretty similar. I'm just asking generally.
    The subject rankings are not similar. Guardian and CUG differ to the most extreme degree.

To answer your theoretical question, neither is determinative. There are "average" courses which are ranked highly and there are "average" courses which are provided by Russell Group unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    The subject rankings are not similar. Guardian and CUG differ to the most extreme degree.

To answer your theoretical question, neither is determinative. There are "average" courses which are ranked highly and there are "average" courses which are provided by Russell Group unis.
    So what should I use to get a better imagine of which ones will be more employable?

ReputationRep:
    So what should I use to get a better imagine of which ones will be more employable?
    You can look at which unis the top law firms deign to visit. You can look at Chambers preferred uni list. You can stalk the LinkedIn of recent graduates from the unis you're interested in, and see what they're up to now. All these things give you a better picture of the situation, but none are categorical proof. They all have flaws.

If you want to be employable, make yourself employable. Do things with your time at uni. You cannot rely on your uni name; and it really isn't that important, as long you go to a decent uni.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    What's "this particular selection"?
    As in, the selection of Russell Group universities

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.