Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For A-level I was thinking of taking Chemistry, Phycology, English Literature and Photography. Would these subjects be a lot of extra work and stress if I took them together and are they compatible with each other?

ReputationRep:
    Well I've just dropped Literature sooo yeah way too mamy essays which may hurt your Chemistry grade as there is also a lot of work in Chem especially in the second year
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aor_blue)
    For A-level I was thinking of taking Chemistry, Phycology, English Literature and Photography. Would these subjects be a lot of extra work and stress if I took them together and are they compatible with each other?
    What is it you want to do in the future? Those subjects don't fit with each other at all.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    They're different subjects producing different amounts of work loads but any combination is possible.

Photography is a lot of coursework so you'll spend a lot of time in the art room editing and stuff. Psychology is case study heavy. Chemistry is a lot of formulas and English Literarture is reading and analysing.

It honestly depends what you want to do!

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what you want to do post sixth form? That's quite a diverse set of A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Do you know what you want to do post sixth form? That's quite a diverse set of A-levels.
    Ultimately I'm wanting to go to University and so forth to become a psychiatrist but I wanted to keep my options open in case I change my mind and my favourite subject has always been English Lit. I'm also very passionate about photography which is where that came from.

These are by no means my final options but what I'm currently considering. What other subjects would you recommend i take that would go well with any of the others?

I was wondering if Biology would also be a good option instead of English Literature or Photography if going down the psychiatrist route as I hear its recommended.

ReputationRep:
    Ultimately I'm wanting to go to University and so forth to become a psychiatrist but I wanted to keep my options open in case I change my mind and my favourite subject has always been English Lit. I'm also very passionate about photography which is where that came from.

These are by no means my final options but what I'm currently considering. What other subjects would you recommend i take that would go well with any of the others?

I was wondering if Biology would also be a good option instead of English Literature or Photography if going down the psychiatrist route as I hear its recommended.
    To become a psychiatrist you need to apply for medicine and do a medical degree. Medical schools do not count psychology as a science, they need 2 ‘hard’ sciences including chemistry from chemistry, biology, maths and physics. 90% of medical schools require A-level chemistry and biology together, the other 10% you can get in without biology (though realistically they like you to have it) with chemistry and one of physics and maths.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I actually do Biology (sadly not Chemistry though), Psychology, and English Literature so maybe I can help haha. I'm only a month into all of the courses, and I won't lie to you, there is a lot of work to do (already). But if you keep up to date with all of your work and you're consistently doing work as you go along, then you'll be fine. That goes for any A Level and any A Level combination, too.

As for the workload... There's a lot of content in Biology as there is in Chemistry, so I find that I have to revise for this subject very often so I can stay on top of everything. As for English Lit, there's a lot of reading and other tasks to do outside of class. Reading comprehension, analysis, and so on. I'd say out of the 3, Psychology is my least-demanding subject so far. But just to warn you, there's a lot to memorise in Psychology too, and it's by no means considered to be one of the easier A Levels someone can take. If you have a genuine interest in the subjects though then go for it, regardless of what anyone says. At the end of the day you're the one studying the A Levels after all!

About the subjects themselves and the combination... Biology would go better with Psychology initially, rather than Chemistry, to be honest with you. But Chemistry alone will open plenty science routes for you too. And English Literature combined with those subjects may seem odd to some people, but if you're not sure of what you want to do at Uni then it'll keep your options open, compared to the strictly science route you would most likely be on otherwise. Also, English Lit will keep your essay writing skills up to scratch, which I personally think will be very useful in many senses. And personally I just like the variety in my subjects, I'm never bored in lessons or revising because I have a variety, you know? But that's just me. I have a very short attention span Lol.

Not to sound biased or anything, but the reason why I think (Chem (?) / ) Bio + Psychology + English Lit would be a good combination is because there's: 1 Science subject, 1 semi-science + essay writing subject, and 1 essay writing subject. Yes, the content may differ, but they do compliment each other, it's just that with some subjects, way they compliment each other is more obvious than others.

And to people saying they are / aren't compatible, I think it just comes down to what you'll do with them subjects. It isn't the most common combination after all, but that's not a bad thing like some people make it out to be.

I don't do Photography so I can't comment on that. But in all honesty, if you do decide to go with something similar to the A Levels you suggested, please only do 3 A Levels and not 4. As I said at the start, there's a lot of work in Biology + Psychology + English Literature together and I believe it would be very difficult to handle an extra subject on top of that. But, then again, it's not impossible. But from experience I think those 3 are enough for me haha. Good luck choosing your A Levels!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kellyyy_)
    Hi! I actually do Biology (sadly not Chemistry though), Psychology, and English Literature so maybe I can help haha. I'm only a month into all of the courses, and I won't lie to you, there is a lot of work to do (already). But if you keep up to date with all of your work and you're consistently doing work as you go along, then you'll be fine. That goes for any A Level and any A Level combination, too.

As for the workload... There's a lot of content in Biology as there is in Chemistry, so I find that I have to revise for this subject very often so I can stay on top of everything. As for English Lit, there's a lot of reading and other tasks to do outside of class. Reading comprehension, analysis, and so on. I'd say out of the 3, Psychology is my least-demanding subject so far. But just to warn you, there's a lot to memorise in Psychology too, and it's by no means considered to be one of the easier A Levels someone can take. If you have a genuine interest in the subjects though then go for it, regardless of what anyone says. At the end of the day you're the one studying the A Levels after all!

About the subjects themselves and the combination... Biology would go better with Psychology initially, rather than Chemistry, to be honest with you. But Chemistry alone will open plenty science routes for you too. And English Literature combined with those subjects may seem odd to some people, but if you're not sure of what you want to do at Uni then it'll keep your options open, compared to the strictly science route you would most likely be on otherwise. Also, English Lit will keep your essay writing skills up to scratch, which I personally think will be very useful in many senses. And personally I just like the variety in my subjects, I'm never bored in lessons or revising because I have a variety, you know? But that's just me. I have a very short attention span Lol.

Not to sound biased or anything, but the reason why I think (Chem (?) / ) Bio + Psychology + English Lit would be a good combination is because there's: 1 Science subject, 1 semi-science + essay writing subject, and 1 essay writing subject. Yes, the content may differ, but they do compliment each other, it's just that with some subjects, way they compliment each other is more obvious than others.

And to people saying they are / aren't compatible, I think it just comes down to what you'll do with them subjects. It isn't the most common combination after all, but that's not a bad thing like some people make it out to be.

I don't do Photography so I can't comment on that. But in all honesty, if you do decide to go with something similar to the A Levels you suggested, please only do 3 A Levels and not 4. As I said at the start, there's a lot of work in Biology + Psychology + English Literature together and I believe it would be very difficult to handle an extra subject on top of that. But, then again, it's not impossible. But from experience I think those 3 are enough for me haha. Good luck choosing your A Levels!!
    Ahhh, thank you for the advice. I really found it helpful. I think you right and it would be best to drop photography. As much as I love it it probably won't help me on my path in the future. I'll probably stick to learning about it in my own time. Again thank you x

ReputationRep:
    I think those 4 are fine providing you out in word. A-Levels are easier and you can realistically do 5 when you choose science/maths combos because a lot of stuff overlaps. If you're doing humanities and essay subjects stick to 4 as you'll have a huge workload.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.