Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Today was my first day trying to use a tampon, I successfully got it in and it didn’t hurt at all but when I got up to walk it really didn’t feel right. Almost as if it was coming out, I went back to the toilet and pulled it out but it was very difficult and hurt like mad?? Now I’m a bit achy, I want to use tampons but why does it hurt?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Not at all qualified or had any experiences about this subject. Don't hate on me for trying to help if the information I have given is wrong. It is their choice to accept my information or not, hating on it won't help answer the question at hand.

Anway, I think it is because of your first time. I could give many examples of things that hurt the first time and you gradually get used to it after doing it often. For example exercise. First time doing it seriously will ache you so much, but as your muscles get used to it, it will get better. Maybe this can apply to using tampons. Or another example, a jumper may feel very tight for the first few times but as it is worn it is stretched out and you get used to it.

All I am saying is you are not used to it and it hurts because you have not done it before and your muscles are not used to it. ( It will get easier the more you do it because it will loosen the more you use it.)

Just gonna end with I have no idea on the subject but this is what makes sense to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totoro2234)
    Today was my first day trying to use a tampon, I successfully got it in and it didn’t hurt at all but when I got up to walk it really didn’t feel right. Almost as if it was coming out, I went back to the toilet and pulled it out but it was very difficult and hurt like mad?? Now I’m a bit achy, I want to use tampons but why does it hurt?
    OKay firstly don't worry. Putting in tampons is just one of those things in life that you learn with time. I suggest that you try again and try to make sure that its been put in exactly how it should be
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totoro2234)
    Putting in tampons is a skill. You'll learn eventually how to get it sitting just right. You can also try different sizes to see if it helps at all.
    Without getting into too much detail, pulling it out too soon can hurt cos it's dry and causes more friction. It should be easier when it's less dry.
    I'm sure you can find various advice online for putting in tampons.

You could also just stick to pads. You can get some pretty comfy (well not un-comfy) ones nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, it's completely normal. It took me a few tries. I had been using pads for 3 years before I felt ready for tampons. You just have to get the angle of your body correct. You might waste a few tampons getting it right. The reason it hurt was because the tampon was dry, so pulling it out straight away meant that it caused a lot of friction, kind of like internal carpet burn. Sadly can't be avoided if it doesn't go in quite right. Just keep trying and don't rush it. You'll get it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.