Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been reading all the threads tonight on racial differences and immigration and the sort and people keep talking about the disappearence of British culture and thought what is British culture?

This is my list so far!

1)To me it being free to pursue my education and career as a woman.
    2)To go to the pub on a friday night and then go for a curry.
    3)To cook a sunday roast whilst the boyfriend and family scream at the footballers that they're crap.
    4)To be able to read whatever I want.

And that is where i couldnt think of anything else. Please someone help me find my British culture!!!

ReputationRep:
    I like everything that seems to be dwindling...

The nice old lady at the bus stop with lots to talk (not moan) about
    The beautiful countryside and the people who say "hello" when you pass
    Fish and Chips that taste good
    Good documentaries voiced by posh and ageing naturalists
    Being able to walk down the road without hearing people swearing (or people screaming unecessarily at their children)
    Knowing the people who work in the newsagent on a first name basis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost105)
    And that is where i couldnt think of anything else. Please someone help me find my British culture!!!
    To **** off the French?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    To **** off the French?
    Usually happens on the sunday whn there's screaming at the football screen!

ReputationRep:
    To get pissed up as much as possible, especially when abroad.

To deny that we are anywhere near Europe.

To laugh at Americans for being stupid.

To invent sports that we are crap at.

To remind everyone of significant military victories to take the spotlight off our sporting inadequacies.

To allow our women to place our men below the menfolk of all other nations and vice versa.

LAAARRRGGGEERRR!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I like everything that seems to be dwindling...

The nice old lady at the bus stop with lots to talk (not moan) about-I still have that. Had a 20 min conversation today about dogs at the bus stop
    The beautiful countryside and the people who say "hello" when you pass Again loads of tht on Wirral but I would be too afraid to say hello to someone in Birkenhead!
    Fish and Chips that taste good
    Good documentaries voiced by posh and ageing naturalists Are David Attenborough-a national treasure
    Being able to walk down the road without hearing people swearing (or people screaming unecessarily at their children)
    Knowing the people who work in the newsagent on a first name basis

ReputationRep:
    Notice that the title says British rather than English

......talk about the great days of when Britain was the superpower and the huge size of the Empire in response of today's American imperialism and how it gets on our nerves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Notice that the title says British rather than English
    Mob rule.

ReputationRep:
    Our glorious history of Empire and defending this island against all comers. When I think 'Britain' it brings to mind the great historian and war leader Winston Churchill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gideon2000uk)
    Our glorious history of Empire and defending this island against all comers. When I think 'Britain' it brings to mind the great historian and war leader Winston Churchill.
    The living moment is everything. ~D.H. Lawrence

ReputationRep:
    This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle,
    This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
    This other Eden, demi-paradise,
    This fortress built by Nature for herself
    Against infection and the hand of war,
    This happy breed of men, this little world,
    This precious stone set in the silver sea,
    Which serves it in the office of a wall,
    Or as a moat defensive to a house,
    Against the envy of less happier lands,
    This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England
    Richard II Act II scene i

I love the way that our being an island is our most commendable feature.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Fish and chips

ReputationRep:
    A vague embarassment...

ReputationRep:
    For the Olympic medal ceremonies, there were people wearing Greek national dress. What would be the British national dress if the Olympics were held in London?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah101)
    For the Olympic medal ceremonies, there were people wearing Greek national dress. What would be the British national dress if the Olympics were held in London?
    Bowler hats? Pinstripe suits?
    Beefeaters?

ReputationRep:
    Why not think of King Harold, Queen Victoria, Queen Bouddica and other leaders then?

ReputationRep:
    Why not think of King Harold, Queen Victoria, Queen Bouddica and other leaders then?
    Or Lloyd George for that matter!

Churchill has a power of oratory and character that stirs my bones and brings out my emotion in a very special way. I guess this was his great gift to the world...

It is also more difficult to relate to people in times past, without a very well written Histroy book (I like Simon Shama's series) or a really good teacher...

ReputationRep:
    Or Lloyd George for that matter!
    Yep. I did say others you know No idea what you think of William Gladstone or Asquith. Also there was one Prime Minister not to mess with, and Argentina soon found that out

ReputationRep:
    An inbuilt genetic distrust of anything European, a vibrant dislike of the French, a love of being the underdog.

Oh, and all knowing really, deep deep down inside, that we are still the real World Cup winners

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Bowler hats? Pinstripe suits?
    Beefeaters?

Apparently a few years ago at some thing like this when everyone was supposed to wear their national dress, the British turned up in Marks and Spencers suits.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.