Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is the range correct for this piecewise function? Watch

ReputationRep:
    this latex better work
    this meaty bracket won't come out .__.

f(x)= \begin{pmatrix}{ \dfrac{5}{2}-x\ if\ x<2} \\ {\dfrac{2}{x^2}\ if\ x\geq 2 }\end

guess it'll have to do with a ( instead of { can't figure it out

i get as the inverse f(x)= \begin{pmatrix}{ \dfrac{5}{2}-x\ (-\infty ,\dfrac{1}{2})} \\ {\sqrt \dfrac{2}{x} [\dfrac{1}{2}, \infty) }\end

jesus christ -___________-

i give up the last bit is supposed to read the square root of 2 over x with the range as being from 1/2 to infinity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will'o'wisp2)
    i get as the inverse f(x)= \begin{pmatrix}{ \dfrac{5}{2}-x\ (-\infty ,\dfrac{1}{2})} \\ {\sqrt \dfrac{2}{x} [\dfrac{1}{2}, \infty) }\end
    That looks correct to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atsruser)
    That looks correct to me.
    can you help with the latex formatting stuff?

ReputationRep:
    x

f(x)= \begin{pmatrix}{ \dfrac{5}{2}-x\ \text{if}\ x<2} \\ {\dfrac{2}{x^2}\ \text{if}\ x\geq 2 }\end

f(x)= \begin{pmatrix}{ \dfrac{5}{2}-x\ (-\infty ,\dfrac{1}{2}\right{)}} \\ {\sqrt{\dfrac{2}{x}} \text{ } \left[\dfrac{1}{2}, \infty) }\end

Does it look good now?

ReputationRep:
    this latex better work
    this meaty bracket won't come out .__.

f(x)= \begin{cases}{ \frac{5}{2}-x & \text{if } x<2} \\ {\frac{2}{x^2} & \text{if } x \geq 2 }\end{cases}

f(x)= \begin{cases}{ \frac{5}{2}-x & x \in (-\infty ,\dfrac{1}{2})} \\ { \frac{2}{\sqrt{x}} & x \in [\frac{1}{2}, \infty) }\end{cases}
    How about that? Pretty good try with the first lot of latex though.

My latex was:

[latex]f(x)= \begin{cases}{ \frac{5}{2}-x & \text{if } x<2} \\ {\frac{2}{x^2} & \text{if } x \geq 2 }\end{cases}[/latex]

[latex]f(x)= \begin{cases}{ \frac{5}{2}-x & x \in (-\infty ,\dfrac{1}{2})} \\ { \frac{2}{\sqrt{x}} & x \in [\frac{1}{2}, \infty) }\end{cases}[/latex]

Note also that you can use [tex]...[/tex] to save typing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desmos)
    f(x)= \begin{pmatrix}{ \dfrac{5}{2}-x\ \text{if}\ x&lt;2} \\ {\dfrac{2}{x^2}\ \text{if}\ x\geq 2 }\end

f(x)= \begin{pmatrix}{ \dfrac{5}{2}-x\ (-\infty ,\dfrac{1}{2}\right{)}} \\ {\sqrt{\dfrac{2}{x}} \text{ } \left[\dfrac{1}{2}, \infty) }\end

Does it look good now?
    How about that? Pretty good try with the first lot of latex though.

My latex was:

[latex]f(x)= \begin{cases}{ \frac{5}{2}-x & \text{if } x<2} \\ {\frac{2}{x^2} & \text{if } x \geq 2 }\end{cases}[/latex]

[latex]f(x)= \begin{cases}{ \frac{5}{2}-x & x \in (-\infty ,\dfrac{1}{2})} \\ { \frac{2}{\sqrt{x}} & x \in [\frac{1}{2}, \infty) }\end{cases}[/latex]

Note also that you can use [tex]...[/tex] to save typing.
    coolio thanks both

ReputationRep:
    Call me wierd but I just want to be sure.

Should the range of the inverse ( f^{-1} ) be the same as the domain of the orginal function ( f ) in this case?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon0)
    Call me wierd but I just want to be sure.

Should the range of the inverse ( f^{-1} ) be the same as the domain of the orginal function ( f ) in this case?

The graph of the function is below:

Attachment 695208
    range of the normal function is the same as the domain of the inverse and the domain of the normal function is same as the range of the inverse

ReputationRep:
    range of the normal function is the same as the domain of the inverse and the domain of the normal function is same as the range of the inverse
    Sorry, sticking my head out, should the range of the inverse function ( f^{-1} ) be:

f^{-1}(x) = \begin{cases}

\frac{5}{2} - x, & \text{with range}, \, (-\infty, 2),\\

\sqrt{ \frac{2}{x} }, & \text{with range}, \, [2, \infty).

\end{cases}

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, sticking my head out, should the range of the inverse function ( f^{-1} ) be:

f^{-1}(x) = 

\begin{cases} 

\frac{5}{2} - x, & \text{with range}, \, (-\infty, 2)\\ 

\sqrt{ \frac{2}{x} }, & \text{with range}, \, (2, \infty). 

\end{cases} 

no? that seems like the wrong range because this is a "split" function so it's different to just a standard function.

In any case the best way i find to work things out is to look at the domain of the original and ask myself what will come out if i put the smallest possible number in the original function and the largest possible number in that function what will happen then? that range is then the domain of the f^-1 stuff

ReputationRep:
    no? that seems like the wrong range because this is a "split" function so it's different to just a standard function.

In any case the best way i find to work things out is to look at the domain of the original and ask myself what will come out if i put the smallest possible number in the original function and the largest possible number in that function what will happen then? that range is then the domain of the f^-1 stuff
    Okay ,sorry, I misunderstood the question. :-)

(I thought you were referring to the range of the inverse function  f^{-1} ).

In this case, for my final question, should the range of  f be:

f(x) \, = \, \begin{cases} \frac{5}{2} - x, & \text{where} \, x &lt; 2, \, \text{has range} \, (\frac{1}{2}, \infty),\\

\frac{2}{x^{2}}, & \text{where} \, x \geq 2, \, \text{has range} \, (0, \frac{1}{2}]. \end{cases}

I promise this is my final objection and I apologise for the questions, I just want to make sure I understood your question correctly.

ReputationRep:
    Okay ,sorry, I misunderstood the question. :-)

(I thought you were referring to the range of the inverse function  f^{-1} ).

In this case, for my final question, should the range of  f be:

f(x) \, = \, \begin{cases} \frac{5}{2} - x, & \text{where} \, x &lt; 2, \, \text{has range} \, (\frac{1}{2}, \infty),\\

\frac{2}{x^{2}}, & \text{where} \, x \geq 2, \, \text{has range} \, (0, \frac{1}{2}]. \end{cases}

I promise this is my final objection and I apologise for the questions, I just want to make sure I understood your question correctly.
    (Original post by Desmos)
    [latex]?
    Which is exactly why i asked this question because according to the booklet that i have, simon is correct and i am wrong

the difference is that simon said that the range of the x^2 function was between 0 and 0.5 whereas i said it was between minus infinity and 0.5

ReputationRep:
    I created a graph of the piecewise function beforehand just to make sure but we can see the range of the piecewise function:
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Which is exactly why i asked this question because according to the booklet that i have, simon is correct and i am wrong

the difference is that simon said that the range of the x^2 function was between 0 and 0.5 whereas i said it was between minus infinity and 0.5
    Not sure why you mentioned the inverse in your OP.

Simon is correct, and you didn't answer the question by the looks of it unless I missed something.

Just do it by cases.

\frac{5}{2}-x for x &lt; 2 has range (\frac{1}{2}, \infty)
    \frac{2}{x^2} for x \geq 2 has range (0,\frac{1}{2}]

Then the overall range of the function would be (0,\frac{1}{2}] \cup (\frac{1}{2}, \infty) = (0, \infty)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Not sure why you mentioned the inverse in your OP.

Simon is correct, and you didn't answer the question by the looks of it unless I missed something.

Just do it by cases.

\frac{5}{2}-x for x &lt; 2 has range (\frac{1}{2}, \infty)
    \frac{2}{x^2} for x \geq 2 has range (0,\frac{1}{2}]

Then the overall range of the function would be (0,\frac{1}{2}] \cup (\frac{1}{2}, \infty) = (0, \infty)
    was making some notes and i just wanted to find the domain of the inverse but turns out i got a different answer to the booklet, which simon has gotten but i got - infinity and 1/2 which i now realise s wrong bc the squared returns oonly positive and 0 doesn't work so then 0<x<1/2 gj me i love doing ranges -__________-

ReputationRep:

Yep, looks like there's a range problem. Sorry I didn't check that properly last night. All the dodgy latex confused me

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.