Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I posted yesterday about thinking of joining but I do need to lose a bit of weight and get fitter. I haven’t thought of joining the army until the past few months But I think I tried to forget that idea because I don’t seem the type to go into the army. I have just started sixth form and I would like to finish my law a level and health and social care before I do anything. And also it will give me 2 years to get to an adequate fitness level. If I have the finances, I would also like to have a gap year after sixth form. Would it be too late to join the army after that? Sorry if I post too much I’m just constantly worried about what I’m going to do after school and feel like I need to begin to make a decision.

ReputationRep:
    what year are you in?

ReputationRep:
    I've seen another post of yours, you're 16 aren't you?

Have you looked at careers in the army, there's a huge variety of roles to choose from, it will also show you what ages they accept people into various roles until. A gap year will definitely not leave it too late for you to join up, unless you were thinking of going to Welbeck. Then you're already too late.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I’m 16 in year 12

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meg846)
    Yes I’m 16 in year 12
    Ok.

Right, have a look at this: https://www.army.mod.uk/rolefinder/

It'll be a good place for you to start, have a look at what interests you. From your other thread there were a number of things you mentioned that the army has roles in (medic, police etc), have a look at the different roles.

ReputationRep:
    Would it be too late to join the army after that?
    No.

You can join at any point until you're 33 (28 for officer).

Source

ReputationRep:
    Yes I’m 16 in year 12
    ah okay, but yeah you could totally join the army after sixth form, im actually wanting to join the raf after uni so yay!

but since youre in year 12 i would recommend you have a look at the sixth form scholarship scheme which give you 3000£ i believe and a guaranteed place at sandhurt i think but you're meant to apply at the start of yr 12 so i dont know when the deadline is but have a look

http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/AOSS.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Also on the topic of fitness, why not work on your fitness anyway? If you're looking at other public service roles, such as police, paramedic etc you need to have a decent level of fitness anyway. Even if you don't, it's not like it's a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sfaraj)
    ah okay, but yeah you could totally join the army after sixth form, im actually wanting to join the raf after uni so yay!

but since youre in year 12 i would recommend you have a look at the sixth form scholarship scheme which give you 3000£ i believe and a guaranteed place at sandhurt i think but you're meant to apply at the start of yr 12 so i dont know when the deadline is but have a look

http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/AOSS.pdf
    That's for officer roles, though, whereas OP is looking at private-level entry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    That's for officer roles, though, whereas OP is looking at private-level entry.
    o i didnt realise, didnt see it in the op

ReputationRep:
    if uni is an option do a degree and get the army to pay for it then serve after that...

ReputationRep:
    I’m definitely going to work on my fitness especially when I can get a car to go to the gym and go to quieter places for a run.
    It’s good to know that I do have a lot of time to go into the army if decided to try something else first.

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to join the marines for a long long time. I was in an Army Reserve Unit at University and it made me realised it wasn't for me. The only way to be sure is do join a similar sort of thing (cadets?) and that would be only thought.

I recorded my thoughts in this video:
    https://youtu.be/u0IjLWFuvXI

Other than that, yes you should.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.