Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm currently at 18 hours driving with an instructor, after almost 3 months of learning to drive, I have also been going out at least once a week for an hour or so in my own car with my parents (so 30+ hours in total).

Today, at the end of my lesson, the only thing my instructor had to comment on was giving parked cars a wider berth. Other than that, he said, I just need more experience.

To me, this just sounds like he wants to get more money out of me? I understand that a lot of driving is an experience factor, but if this is the only fault I don't see why he fails to discuss booking a test with me? If I had more time - I work full time - to go out more than once a week in my own car I would, just to rack up experience. Now however it feels like I'm kinda being ripped off just because I've learned quite quickly. I can do each manoeuvre smoothly, don't really need to be corrected on anything while driving... What's to stop me?

I've tried bringing this up with my instructor, but he insists he wants to hit 20 hours with me and THEN discuss my test (whether 'discuss' is synonymous with 'book', I'm not sure).

What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    You have nearly reached 20 hours so I don't see the problem. I would think discuss means booking it. If not, you still are free to book it if you feel ready.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stanakaticshair)
    Hi all,

I'm currently at 18 hours driving with an instructor, after almost 3 months of learning to drive, I have also been going out at least once a week for an hour or so in my own car with my parents (so 30+ hours in total).

Today, at the end of my lesson, the only thing my instructor had to comment on was giving parked cars a wider berth. Other than that, he said, I just need more experience.

To me, this just sounds like he wants to get more money out of me? I understand that a lot of driving is an experience factor, but if this is the only fault I don't see why he fails to discuss booking a test with me? If I had more time - I work full time - to go out more than once a week in my own car I would, just to rack up experience. Now however it feels like I'm kinda being ripped off just because I've learned quite quickly. I can do each manoeuvre smoothly, don't really need to be corrected on anything while driving... What's to stop me?

I've tried bringing this up with my instructor, but he insists he wants to hit 20 hours with me and THEN discuss my test (whether 'discuss' is synonymous with 'book', I'm not sure).

What do you guys think?

I've completed 22 hours of driving with my instructor (probably about 10-15 hours in my Mum's car and now my own car) and have just booked my text for the end of November. It was quite sudden when my instructor spoke about my driving test. After failing my theory test twice I said that I was too disheartened to go through all the process again, and was going to wait to take a couple of weeks before my practical. He then said that I was looking very close to being test ready, and didn't want that to hold me back. He said that he wanted me to have a crack at the "old" test before all the new changes came out in December. After passing the theory on my third attempt, today on my lesson he advised me to book a test date.

Seems a bit odd that your instructor is intent on reaching 20 hours. But like someone else has said, at 18 hours I would just bring it up and your next lesson and be persistent with it. :-)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stanakaticshair)
    Hi all,

What do you guys think?
    If he doesn't think you're test ready, he won't let you waste your money - it's as simple as that, really.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.