The Student Room Group

Can i go to uni with 2 A levels?

So I'm currently doing 3 A levels but one of them I don't like and the school wont allow me to swap it with another one so the only option I have is to drop it altogether which would leave me with only 2 A levels. If I knew I could get into uni with only 2 I'd drop it no problem, but does it have to be 3/3+ or could I get in with 2?
Reply 1
Probably not. I know it is possible in internation countries however.
Original post by Apple2017
So I'm currently doing 3 A levels but one of them I don't like and the school wont allow me to swap it with another one so the only option I have is to drop it altogether which would leave me with only 2 A levels. If I knew I could get into uni with only 2 I'd drop it no problem, but does it have to be 3/3+ or could I get in with 2?

Depends on what course you want to do at uni, and, I guess, how good your GCSEs are.

My friend is continuing with two A-Levels at the moment so she can apply to Dental Therapy and Hygiene, I believe. This course only requires two A-Levels so, yeah, you can get into uni with only 2 A-Levels but it's also very competitive. I think there around 200 people or something applying to 10 places.

I think Nursing also only requires two A-Levels at some unis, but don't quote me on that.
Original post by shahanne
Depends on what course you want to do at uni, and, I guess, how good your GCSEs are.

My friend is continuing with two A-Levels at the moment so she can apply to Dental Therapy and Hygiene, I believe. This course only requires two A-Levels so, yeah, you can get into uni with only 2 A-Levels but it's also very competitive. I think there around 200 people or something applying to 10 places.

I think Nursing also only requires two A-Levels at some unis, but don't quote me on that.

I got 4 As, 1B and 2Cs in my GCSEs so I've no problems there. I'm going to contact the universities and see. I need a final concrete answer from them on whether they'll accept me or not in September 2019 because I need to drop the subject ASAP
Reply 4
Keep up with it - you've got almost no chance getting into uni without 3 A-Levels. A low pass is better than none at all.
I got 4 As, 1B and 2Cs in my GCSEs so I've no problems there. I'm going to contact the universities and see. I need a final concrete answer from them on whether they'll accept me or not in September 2019 because I need to drop the subject ASAP

Yes, you can go to a university. However, it will likely be a **** one (maybe bottom 10%). You may as well just carry on with 3

Yeah that's a good idea.

I think the general consensus is that most courses at most unis won't take in applicants with less than three A-Levels. Another idea could be for you to pick up a new AS next year or something, that you actually wouldn't mind doing, so you eventually finish up with three A-Levels.

Usually it will be mentioned in the Entry requirements of each course on each uni website. Sometimes they may request a certain amount of A Levels however most of the time they will ask for a minimum amount of UCAS points. Each one of your A levels will reward you with Credits, Distinctions giving more Credits, Merits giving slightly less and Passes give the minimum. Your total amount of Credits are then converted into UCAS Points (You can find UCAS's conversion table online). If you are trying to go for a course which has a high entry requirement of UCAS points, you will either need to get 2 A levels with distinctions to have a proper chance, or get all 3 A levels done. It all depends on your chosen course for uni etc.

Maybe ask your school, they may be able to give you a better explanation based on your situation. But honestly I don't think you should drop out. Even if you don't like the course, after 6th form it's an extra qualification and more Credits/UCAS points.
If you really want to drop it, you could do a foundation year at university - I know that entry requirements for them are usually much lower. It could be worth checking out. If the universities you want don't offer any, you can find another one and then reapply for the next year. I would email your first choice and ask them if a foundation year would substitute for the lack of a third A-level.

meh, pretty sure **** universities like London metropolitan will accept you, but even then.... it might only be some courses that allow 2 a levels.
http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/applying/undergraduate/entry-requirements/
Hi,i am a international students in uk and got a chance to do 2Alevels subject with eng gcse . Is this good like 2 Alevels ?please drop your review.Highly respected .Mant thanks.x
You are so wrong in what you say. I have contacted 7 uni's on behalf of my son who is only taking 2 A'levels and all of the Uni's have emailed me to say that they would accept my son , though some have said he may have to take an extra 1 year ( foundation year) - so he either will be able to take a 3 year degree course or a 4 year degree course - BUT HE CAN GO TO UNI ON ONLY 2 SUBJECTS. You should only comment on actual fact!
Which universities were they

Only rubbish ones.
Drop it and do one private or see if they will let you fast track one.
Original post by 999tigger
Only rubbish ones.
Drop it and do one private or see if they will let you fast track one.

What

Quick Reply