Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm on a gap year currently reapplying for medicine for 2018 entry.
    I applied last year for 2017 entry to

Oxford
    Sheffield
    Birmingham
    Edinburgh

Unfortunately I only recieved 1 interview from Sheffield who rejected me post-interview.

This year my main interest is actually getting in, my stats are:

UKCAT: 2890 (722.5 AVG) BAND 1
    GCSE: 7A* 3A 1B
    AS-LEVEL: 4A
    A-LEVEL: 3A

My current list is:

Queen Mary University
    Sheffield University
    Southampton/Leicester (I feel Leicester is the safer option but i think I prefer Southampton slightly) (although this slot is basically my 'safe' option in case all others fail)
    Nottingham (or UEA but mainly interested in Nottingham)

How likely would I be to get an interview for each of these?
    I'm a bit uncertain regarding Queen Mary and the tarriffs, I don't really understand how good a chance I have there.

Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    what were your a levels

ReputationRep:
    3As in Maths Chem and Bio,
    AS I had physics aswell

ReputationRep:
    What are the typical grade offers for the course you want to study at each of those universities? If you are within those boundaries, you're more than likely to get an interview/offer

ReputationRep:
    They're all 3As, I felt like applying to one with A*AA would be a bit too risky for my liking.
    My main concern is Queen Mary, looking at these stats for last year:

Top and Bottom examples:
    Low Tariff of 152 supported by a high UKCAT of 2,290
    High Tariff of 330 supporting a low UKCAT of 1,760
    Mid-range examples:
    Tariff 300 UKCAT 1,870
    Tariff 282 UKCAT 1,960
    Tariff 216 UKCAT 2,120
    Tariff 196 UKCAT 2,240

Tariff of 196, about 32 higher than mines had a UKCAT score of 2240, avg 746.6, so he/she had higher tariff, aswell as higher UKCAT avg - if these are representative of the average offer than man i feel really worried
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebossman313)
    Hi guys,

I'm on a gap year currently reapplying for medicine for 2018 entry.
    I applied last year for 2017 entry to

Oxford
    Sheffield
    Birmingham
    Edinburgh

Unfortunately I only recieved 1 interview from Sheffield who rejected me post-interview.

This year my main interest is actually getting in, my stats are:

UKCAT: 2890 (722.5 AVG) BAND 1
    GCSE: 7A* 3A 1B
    AS-LEVEL: 4A
    A-LEVEL: 3A

My current list is:

Queen Mary University
    Sheffield University
    Southampton/Leicester (I feel Leicester is the safer option but i think I prefer Southampton slightly) (although this slot is basically my 'safe' option in case all others fail)
    Nottingham (or UEA but mainly interested in Nottingham)

How likely would I be to get an interview for each of these?
    I'm a bit uncertain regarding Queen Mary and the tarriffs, I don't really understand how good a chance I have there.

Thanks guys!
    Do you know why Sheffield rejected you post-interview? Whats their policy on applicants who have previously been rejected post interview? I would consider reapplying is probably risky and you may be better applying to somewhere where your UKCAT gives you a high chance of interview (e.g. Newcastle).

I don't think Southampton is particularly risky with that UKCAT. You could swap Sheffield for Southampton and apply to Southampton and Leicester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Do you know why Sheffield rejected you post-interview? Whats their policy on applicants who have previously been rejected post interview? I would consider reapplying is probably risky and you may be better applying to somewhere where your UKCAT gives you a high chance of interview (e.g. Newcastle).

I don't think Southampton is particularly risky with that UKCAT. You could swap Sheffield for Southampton and apply to Southampton and Leicester.
    Yes there was 2 or 3 sections in the MMI that i didn't score high enough according to the email they sent.

Their official policy is that reapplications are welcome and have no bearing on the acceptance; the reason i'm thinking about applying to it is because of how they select for the interviews (on their website it states that they rank based on UKCAT scores only)

I've swapped out southampton for Manchster as Manchester invite the top 1/3 UKCAT for interviews.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yes there was 2 or 3 sections in the MMI that i didn't score high enough according to the email they sent.

Their official policy is that reapplications are welcome and have no bearing on the acceptance; the reason i'm thinking about applying to it is because of how they select for the interviews (on their website it states that they rank based on UKCAT scores only)

I've swapped out southampton for Manchster as Manchester invite the top 1/3 UKCAT for interviews.
    Unless they've changed recently, Southampton work top downwards for UKCAT and usually get into the high 600s (or less). I think you would have a very good shot at interview. But if you're happy with Manchester, then that sounds like a good option too.

ReputationRep:
    Unless they've changed recently, Southampton work top downwards for UKCAT and usually get into the high 600s (or less). I think you would have a very good shot at interview. But if you're happy with Manchester, then that sounds like a good option too.
    Well the deciding factor for me would be the likelihood of interviews
    Am i correct in saying Manchester uni interview the top 3rd UKCAT scores?

If we assume the likelihood of interviews to be the same for both then i'd select Manchester simply because i feel it looks a better place to live in.

Also i cant find any information as to how the online questionnare is used?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Well the deciding factor for me would be the likelihood of interviews
    Am i correct in saying Manchester uni interview the top 3rd UKCAT scores?

If we assume the likelihood of interviews to be the same for both then i'd select Manchester simply because i feel it looks a better place to live in.

Also i cant find any information as to how the online questionnare is used?
    I'm afraid I don't really know much about Manchester's selection methods so I can't help.

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid I don't really know much about Manchester's selection methods so I can't help.
    thats alright dont worry

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.