Turn on thread page Beta

Is this abuse? watch

    • #1
    • Thread Starter

    My bf of 6 years has crippling anxiety, specifically around job applications. I've always been supportive of him, and I understand anxiety a little bit so I try to be lenient, but lately things have gotten bad.

    He's been screaming, like proper shouting at me to the point of neighbours asking me if things are okay. He's been blaming me for his panic attacks, and saying I make him feel the way he does. I try not to talk about my own job stuff to avoid triggering him, but lately he seems in a constant state of anxiousness. He doesn't want to see his GP or therapist because he says they don't help, but I can't really do anything to help him. Everything I say or do seems to make it worse and I can't take much more of being told that I make him feel like that, that I make him want to hit himself or kill himself. I want to say that it's just his anxiety really being bad and that he doesn't mean it, but idk if this is crossing over into the realm of emotional abuse at this point....

    I don't want to leave him, but I don't really know what to do anymore

    Okay, your boyfriend has problems but it doesn't give him the right to take it out on you. Whilst it is admirable to want to be there for him and help him, I feel it is taking a toll on your own mental wellbeing. Who is taking care of you? I really think you need to take some time apart, and get him to get professional help. It is too much of a burden for you alone to cope with. If he refuses, tell him the truth about how you feel. Maybe talk to a family member of his, who could also try to get him to see his GP. There is no shame in seeking help.

    I agree with 'cheesecakelove' - I don't think I could add anymore.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 11, 2017
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.