Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, thanks very much for offering Scholar - it's great for revising! I was looking at the Advanced Higher Physics page on Gravitational Redshift and got a little confused.
    https://courses.scholar.hw.ac.uk/vle...e-8cdcca574738

My physics teacher was also confused about this statement
    "This effect can also be explained in terms of the photons. If a photon moves towards the Earth, the photon's energy increases as it travels to a position of smaller gravitational potential energy. Therefore, from E = hf, the photon's frequency ought to increase."
    As it doesn't match the picture below. Please can you clarify which is correct and perhaps fix the sentence/picture.
    Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sineadthin)
    Hello, thanks very much for offering Scholar - it's great for revising! I was looking at the Advanced Higher Physics page on Gravitational Redshift and got a little confused.
    https://courses.scholar.hw.ac.uk/vle...e-8cdcca574738

My physics teacher was also confused about this statement
    "This effect can also be explained in terms of the photons. If a photon moves towards the Earth, the photon's energy increases as it travels to a position of smaller gravitational potential energy. Therefore, from E = hf, the photon's frequency ought to increase."
    As it doesn't match the picture below. Please can you clarify which is correct and perhaps fix the sentence/picture.
    Many thanks
    Can't open that link.

but afaik (and I don't know much about scottish highers at all) it's not something you'd run into until probably the second year at uni cos it's a consequence of general relativity.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.