Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay so basically I'm taking a gap year and I got A*A*A* .. I'll be applying to both of these universities but wasn't sure which one to pick. Nottingham is closer to where my family and obviously cheaper to live in compare to London but however imperial is in high rank so it may mean better job ( if it doesn't pleas diet me know because I don't know why there are ranks and this is the only reason that comes in my mind). However, if I go to nottingham I'll be closer to athletics ground which I want to go to so therefore I will have enjoyable experience but in imperial athletics ground are kind if far away ( I think it's probably 50 minute joutney). Also, Nottingham athletic is more competitive than imperial so I don't know what to do. By the way I'll be doing chemistry and I want to get a goof/secure job in future but also I want to do athletics while I'm at the university. What do you think guys???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by igotnomoney)
    Okay so basically I'm taking a gap year and I got A*A*A* .. I'll be applying to both of these universities but wasn't sure which one to pick. Nottingham is closer to where my family and obviously cheaper to live in compare to London but however imperial is in high rank so it may mean better job ( if it doesn't pleas diet me know because I don't know why there are ranks and this is the only reason that comes in my mind). However, if I go to nottingham I'll be closer to athletics ground which I want to go to so therefore I will have enjoyable experience but in imperial athletics ground are kind if far away ( I think it's probably 50 minute joutney). Also, Nottingham athletic is more competitive than imperial so I don't know what to do. By the way I'll be doing chemistry and I want to get a goof/secure job in future but also I want to do athletics while I'm at the university. What do you think guys???
    Do you want to do a chemistry related career in the future?

ReputationRep:
    How on Earth is this even a question? Obviously go to Imperial. You're an adult, you don't need to be close to your family all the time. You can see them in the holidays (Christmas, Easter and summer), the occasional weekend and reading weeks. You get more money from Student Finance for living in London as they know it's the most expensive area in the UK to go to university. Imperial is known all around the world and you'd be an idiot not to go there if you had the chance. It's one of the top universities for science anybody could ever hope to get into.

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ze Witcher)
    Do you want to do a chemistry related career in the future?
    Yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    How on Earth is this even a question? Obviously go to Imperial. You're an adult, you don't need to be close to your family all the time. You can see them in the holidays (Christmas, Easter and summer), the occasional weekend and reading weeks. You get more money from Student Finance for living in London as they know it's the most expensive area in the UK to go to university. Imperial is known all around the world and you'd be an idiot not to go there if you had the chance. It's one of the top universities for science anybody could ever hope to get into.
    It's not much about family but I was thinking about athletics that I want to do. Athletics ground in Nottingham are very close to uni but aren't in imoerial. Also, how's student life like in Imperial? I feel like all I would see workers, tourist walking every where but no student whereas in Nottingham you would see students everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    Oxbridge?
    I wasn't ready with these results now and to get in to Oxbridge there are entry tests and interviews which I think j won't stand a chance

ReputationRep:
    It's not much about family but I was thinking about athletics that I want to do. Athletics ground in Nottingham are very close to uni but aren't in imoerial. Also, how's student life like in Imperial? I feel like all I would see workers, tourist walking every where but no student whereas in Nottingham you would see students everywhere.
    There are students everywhere in London, there are so many universities there. To name a few there's Imperial, LSE, UCL, KCL, Queen Mary, Birkbeck, LCF and many more. All universities (especially London ones) have sports and athletics societies, don't choose a university based on what you think this aspect will be like.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't ready with these results now and to get in to Oxbridge there are entry tests and interviews which I think j won't stand a chance
    You're right - A* is ****. You need at least A***.

What do you have to lose? It's one UCAS choice - go for it (quickly). Your local track could be the one where the first sub-4 minute mile was run.

ReputationRep:
    You're right - A* is ****. You need at least A***.

What do you have to lose? It's one UCAS choice - go for it (quickly). Your local track could be the one where the first sub-4 minute mile was run.
    Wait what I don't get it?? And quickly, I think I'll be applying in two or three weeks

ReputationRep:
    Wait what I don't get it?? And quickly, I think I'll be applying in two or three weeks
    The Oxbridge deadline is the 15th October, which is also the deadline for registering to take the Oxford entrance exam (Thinking Skills Assessment, section 1). You have the best possible grades, so I really don't get why you don't think that you'd stand a chance.

ReputationRep:
    Even if you don't get into Oxford, Imperial is world class for the sciences and would be the best university - imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ze Witcher)
    Even if you don't get into Oxford, Imperial is world class for the sciences and would be the best university - imo.
    Nothing against Imperial, but Oxford would be cheaper and better for athletics IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing against Imperial, but Oxford would be cheaper and better for athletics IMO.
    I think I should be fine with imperial since it doesn't require entry test and interviews as Oxford does so I stand a better chance. I think if I go got Oxford I don't have much time to revise for the entry test

ReputationRep:
    Sure - Nottingham would be best overall for athletics, however. Oxford gives the best of both worlds for job security and sports, but it has an extra hurdle for admissions compared to Imperial.

Up to OP if he wants to submit his UCAS in 3 and a bit days.

ReputationRep:
    I think I should be fine with imperial since it doesn't require entry test and interviews as Oxford does so I stand a better chance. I think if I go got Oxford I don't have much time to revise for the entry test
    you have nothing to lose though

you might as well just try!!

ReputationRep:
    You get five UCAS choices, so aim high with a couple. Imperial isn't easy to get into either, so I'd have more than one aspirational choice. You have nothing to lose, and a lot to gain IMO.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.