Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do high predicted grades increase offer requirements? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys - I’m applying for courses with entry requirement ranges of AAA-ABB, but I’m predicted A*A*A. I really don’t think these are realistic after my AS grades of ACCC.
    Do uni offers go higher because of entry requirements? It’s making me nervous
    extra point - how likely are Russel group unis to offer unconditionals? I’m applying for philosophy which I’m told isn’t super competitive, I got good GCSEs (5A*, 1 L2D*, 4A &1B) and I was appointed Dep. Head Boy so I’m wondering what my chances are... due to major nerves of exams.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Link2016)
    Hi guys - I’m applying for courses with entry requirement ranges of AAA-ABB, but I’m predicted A*A*A. I really don’t think these are realistic after my AS grades of ACCC.
    Do uni offers go higher because of entry requirements? It’s making me nervous
    extra point - how likely are Russel group unis to offer unconditionals? I’m applying for philosophy which I’m told isn’t super competitive, I got good GCSEs (5A*, 1 L2D*, 4A &1B) and I was appointed Dep. Head Boy so I’m wondering what my chances are... due to major nerves of exams.
    How on Earth have you been predicted an A* from a C? That's incredibly irresponsible of your school and universities will not believe this prediction. To answer your question (which has been asked hundreds of times on here), universities do not give people higher offers if their predictions are higher than the requirements. Your issue is going to be getting universities to believe you can get an A* and an A from 2 C grades, which realistically isn't going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    These are the reasons I’m predicted -
    - A* from A, because I got full marks on the AS
    - A* from C, because that’s what I’ve been achieving in class, the whole class got disappointing results (I know that doesn’t make it right but we’ve since changed to a much better teacher)
    - A from C, because I’m resitting the AS papers (unreformed subject)
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    - A* from C, because that’s what I’ve been achieving in class, the whole class got disappointing results (I know that doesn’t make it right but we’ve since changed to a much better teacher)
    They are still overoptimistic, take a gap year or risk it as Unis won't trust those predictions.

ReputationRep:
    (forgot to add) but yeah, you obviously understand my nervousness. I think ABB is more realistic, and covers my uni choices anyway - do you think admissions will see the predicted as a flaw in my application even if their entry requirements are ABB?

ReputationRep:
    If that's what you 'achieved' in class then it's incredibly likely the teacher you had was incredibly overgenerous with marking and you have never been achieving to an A* standard at all. This is exactly what universities will think as going from a C in AS to an A* in A2 where the A2 content is much harder is not realistic at all. You said some of the courses you want to apply for ask for ABB, if you got your teachers to predict you A*BB (not an unrealistic aim) you'd be far more likely to get universities to believe those predictions and thus you'd be more likely to get offers.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (forgot to add) but yeah, you obviously understand my nervousness. I think ABB is more realistic, and covers my uni choices anyway - do you think admissions will see the predicted as a flaw in my application even if their entry requirements are ABB?
    Depends on what they think, but if we go off the classic one grade up, then you're covered, but it will depend on the institution. ( I'm in a similar situation but with the IBDP)

ReputationRep:
    I had been told that admissions supposedly can’t refer to AS grades because it would be an unfair advantage, being that the minority still sit AS grades and having evidence of their progress of only some gives the majority that don’t a better chance - problem being however that I can’t find anywhere to corroborate this officially. My teachers who provided the predicted actually do believe I can reach them it’s just I don’t know if that’s enough.

ReputationRep:
    I had been told that admissions supposedly can’t refer to AS grades because it would be an unfair advantage, being that the minority still sit AS grades and having evidence of their progress of only some gives the majority that don’t a better chance - problem being however that I can’t find anywhere to corroborate this officially. My teachers who provided the predicted actually do believe I can reach them it’s just I don’t know if that’s enough.
    What else do you expect them to do when the AS grades will be sat right there in front of them? They go off whatever they see is available to them whether they're supposed to or not. University applications have never been so competitive and they use anything they can to differentiate between applicants. It doesn't matter whether your teachers believe you can get those grades, the universities won't. The universities will look at your predictions from an objective point of view without knowing anything personal about you (which is how all university alpplications are done) and will use the facts they've been presented with, which are unrealistic predicted grades.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    What else do you expect them to do when the AS grades will be sat right there in front of them? They go off whatever they see is available to them whether they're supposed to or not. University applications have never been so competitive and they use anything they can to differentiate between applicants. It doesn't matter whether your teachers believe you can get those grades, the universities won't. The universities will look at your predictions from an objective point of view without knowing anything personal about you (which is how all university alpplications are done) and will use the facts they've been presented with, which are unrealistic predicted grades.
    Adding to the above, AS grades, as they're public exams will be used more than the predictions

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't sent it off, then go and see your head of sixth form about it and like the person who adds all the references on etc and see your teachers to lower your predicted.

ReputationRep:
    No they're not going to raise your offer because of your predicted grades.
    BUT, it's concerning how they're predicting A* from a C and that's hard to justify even with your circumstances.
    A more realistic prediction would be a B/A to be honest.
    Don't let universities scrutinize you on that. They WILL use all the resources available to them (depending on your choice of course of course)

ReputationRep:
    Ultimately you guys are probably right. I’ll speak to my teachers to get them lowered if it’s likely to benefit the offers I really want to aim for. Thanks for the help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.