Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    GCSE;
    AAAAAAAA

A LEVEL prediction; A*AA (Economics,English Lit,History)

Say I do well in LNAT and my personal statement is good, will I stand a good chance to get into these universities for law? It’s a competitive course and I’m scared my GCSE’s may be a disadvantage compared to others. Thanks guys...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Well LSE doesn't look at LNAT so you may get a rejection from them since you don't have any A*'s at GCSE. I think you should be good for an offer from KCL maybe UCL depending on your LNAT but your predicted grades meet the requirements so I don't see why not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistryGuy1998)
    Well LSE doesn't look at LNAT so you may get a rejection from them since you don't have any A*'s at GCSE. I think you should be good for an offer from KCL maybe UCL depending on your LNAT but your predicted grades meet the requirements so I don't see why not
    Will LSE take into consideration that my school was a low achieving one. My grades were still good enough to be top 9% in the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markdownin)
    Will LSE take into consideration that my school was a low achieving one. My grades were still good enough to be top 9% in the year.
    yep they'll take into account context and mitigating circumstances, did you sit any AS's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistryGuy1998)
    yep they'll take into account context and mitigating circumstances, did you sit any AS's?
    No. I just got my predicted grades. Do you think that if I got A*A*A as prediction I could apply to LSE?

ReputationRep:
    No. I just got my predicted grades. Do you think that if I got A*A*A as prediction I could apply to LSE?
    Probably yes since your school is low achieving (and I assume in a less affluent area). Just to put it in context I'm applying for LSE (Law LLB), having already achieving A*A*A in A-levels as I'm on a gap year. Got 6 A*'s, 3 A's and 1 B at GCSE/IGCSE.

ReputationRep:
    meh

Try it, don't be surprised if you get an early rejection. They expect the majority of GCSEs to be A*s, and I don't know whether your school was bad enough to compensate for that (LSE has POLAR data on your postcode, so they can fine tune their expectations according to how bad your school actually was). Good predictions (I'd suggest doing an EPQ if available, just to show that you can deal with the extra workload). PS plays a big role, so make sure you're covered on that front.

It's a shame that, with the idiotic decision to scrap AS, you've lost a chance to compensate for your GCSE grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    meh

Try it, don't be surprised if you get an early rejection. They expect the majority of GCSEs to be A*s, and I don't know whether your school was bad enough to compensate for that (LSE has POLAR data on your postcode, so they can fine tune their expectations according to how bad your school actually was). Good predictions (I'd suggest doing an EPQ if available, just to show that you can deal with the extra workload). PS plays a big role, so make sure you're covered on that front.

It's a shame that, with the idiotic decision to scrap AS, you've lost a chance to compensate for your GCSE grades
    I never thought my GCSE’s were as poor as being have to justify them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I never thought my GCSE’s were as poor as being have to justify them.
    The majority of people who get offers from LSE have at least 6-8 A*s at GCSE, so while your grades are by no means bad, they’re not realistically good enough for LSE without mitigating factors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeapingLucy)
    The majority of people who get offers from LSE have at least 6-8 A*s at GCSE, so while your grades are by no means bad, they’re not realistically good enough for LSE without mitigating factors.
    I heard that was Oxbridge only? Also what about KCL and UCL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeapingLucy)
    ^ (I'm guessing that the exceptions are smaller niche courses like Philosophy and Anthro which don't have much of a body to select from, but the major courses you definitely get people with plenty of A*s)

I heard that was Oxbridge only? Also what about KCL and UCL?
    Nope. LSE offerholders tend to be Oxbridge applicants (and offerholders). You only have 8 GCSEs with no A*s. That doesn't look great, particularly for the most competitive law courses in the country. The fact that LSE bothers putting the "majority of A*s at GCSE" soft requirement on their website shows that this is a standard that they're willing to adhere to year in year out.

I've posted a FOI request under a pseudonym in the hope of quantifying our advice. I'll add a link to this thread when LSE replies.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE;
    AAAAAAAA

A LEVEL prediction; A*AA (Economics,English Lit,History)

Say I do well in LNAT and my personal statement is good, will I stand a good chance to get into these universities for law? It’s a competitive course and I’m scared my GCSE’s may be a disadvantage compared to others. Thanks guys...
    Unless your school is god awful then I don't think LSE is really viable. You will be going up against people with 10-11 GCSEs with 6 A* + each and people predicted 3 A*. KCL has a fantastic law school and so does UCL which I think you have a good shot at.

If you have a 'spare' choice there is no harm trying for LSE but if you don't and you want to possibly apply somewhere else then dont bother.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.