Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

FP2 Functions (Strictly increasing/decreasing) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I understand that a strictly increasing/decreasing function always has a positive/negative gradient unless at a stationary point.
    But look at the attached function.

The function always has a negative gradient, but upon passing the asymptote
    x=3, the value jumps from -(infinity) to +(infinity), so the function jumps from a
    negative value to a positive value. Is the function still strictly decreasing? Or does the jump from a -ve to a +ve mean it has increased, therefore not strictly decreasing?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    f(x)= (x+1)/(x-3) i think.
    (Original post by Slewis99)
    I understand that a strictly increasing/decreasing function always has a positive/negative gradient unless at a stationary point.
    But look at the attached function.

The function always has a negative gradient, but upon passing the asymptote
    x=3, the value jumps from -(infinity) to +(infinity), so the function jumps from a
    negative value to a positive value. Is the function still strictly decreasing? Or does the jump from a -ve to a +ve mean it has increased, therefore not strictly decreasing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Note: a function may be (strictly) increasing over one interval, and (strictly) decreasing over another.
    So would I say it's strictly decreasing over (-infinity,3) and strictly decreasing over (3,+infinity)?

ReputationRep:
    So would I say it's strictly decreasing over (-infinity,3) and strictly decreasing over (3,+infinity)?
    Sorry, wasn't paying much attention. (though it's true it's not relevant to your question, didn't see the graph or the equation) It's strictly decreasing "everywhere" as its derivative, -\frac 4 {(x-3)^2} < 0 for all x, though there's obviously the undefined point at x=3.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Definition of strictly decreasing is that \forall x \in D where D is the domain of f, you have f' < 0

In your example, f(x) = \frac{x+1}{x-3} and D=(-\infty,3)\cup (3, \infty) and f'(x)=(x-3)^{-1}-(x+1)(x-3)^{-2}=\frac{-2}{(x-3)^2} which is clearly always negative when x \in D, so your function is strictly decreasing.

Answer your question? I basically put most of the things you've noticed here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Definition of strictly decreasing is that \forall x \in D where D is the domain of f, you have f' < 0
    No it isn't!

A function is strictly decreasing on an interval I if whenever x > y (with x, y in I) we have f(x) < f(y). There is no requirement that f is differentiable, and even if f is differentiable, it is not necessary for f' to be < 0 everywhere.

-x^3 is strictly decreasing on R, despite the fact that it's derivative is 0 at x = 0.

It is in fact possible to define a (pathological) function f that is strictly decreasing on [0,1] and yet f'(x) = 0 almost everywhere.

Edit: and we don't usually talk about increasing / decreasing functions whose domain is not an interval, for the exact reason that everything gets a bit meaningless when you go from one interval to the next. But if you really want to, the same definition holds, only replace interval with domain.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    No it isn't!

A function is strictly decreasing on an interval I if whenever x > y (with x, y in I) we have f(x) < f(y). There is no requirement that f is differentiable, and even if f is differentiable, it is not necessary for f' to be < 0 everywhere.

-x^3 is strictly decreasing on R, despite the fact that it's derivative is 0 at x = 0.

It is in fact possible to define a (pathological) function f that is strictly decreasing on [0,1] and yet f'(x) = 0 almost everywhere.

Edit: and we don't usually talk about increasing / decreasing functions whose domain is not an interval, for the exact reason that everything gets a bit meaningless when you go from one interval to the next. But if you really want to, the same definition holds, only replace interval with domain.
    Didn't really mean to throw the word definition in there in the first place, so my bad - just stuck to what they're expected to use at A-Level with the derivatives.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.