Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Still quite upset about this tweet... Watch

I tend to fixate a lot on my work (especially academically). One of my teachers recently said to me that I need to 'get a life', he didn't say it in a mean way and I could tell it was advice. My main question here relates to below. One of the students in my class wrote about it on Twitter (they didn't name me) They simply said along the lines of 'when a teacher tells student to #get a life it makes everyone feel awkward'. I don't follow this person directly - one of their followers (whom I follow and is also in my class for this subject) retweeted this, hence I saw it. It was only retweeted once. I sort of struggle to understand the meaning of the tweet, especially the feel akward bit. Is it like they are laughing at me by writing it, or does the 'awkward' bit sugest sympathy and is being supportive? I feel more annoyed/upset about the person in my class writing about it on Twitter than the comments of my teacher themselves. Is the tweet supportive or are they laughing at me/making fun of me by tweeting it?

This happened a little bit ago but I am still thinking about it and feel upset about the tweet. Why do you think they tweeted it?

ReputationRep:
    It is likely sympathetic.

They're saying that it is awkward for a teacher to say something like that, considering how inappropriate it is when said seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I tend to fixate a lot on my work (especially academically). One of my teachers recently said to me that I need to 'get a life', he didn't say it in a mean way and I could tell it was advice. My main question here relates to below. One of the students in my class wrote about it on Twitter (they didn't name me) They simply said along the lines of 'when a teacher tells student to #get a life it makes everyone feel awkward'. I don't follow this person directly - one of their followers (whom I follow and is also in my class for this subject) retweeted this, hence I saw it. It was only retweeted once. I sort of struggle to understand the meaning of the tweet, especially the feel akward bit. Is it like they are laughing at me by writing it, or does the 'awkward' bit sugest sympathy and is being supportive? I feel more annoyed/upset about the person in my class writing about it on Twitter than the comments of my teacher themselves. Is the tweet supportive or are they laughing at me/making fun of me by tweeting it?

This happened a little bit ago but I am still thinking about it and feel upset about the tweet. Why do you think they tweeted it?
    Honestly your teacher is right, they are describing exactly what you're like in this scenario. It's a tweet, get over it. You won't be friends or in contact with 98%+ of the people you go to school with in a few years' time. This tweet hasn't named you, hasn't named the teacher and hasn't detailed any of the circumstances. If you did what your teacher told you to do (get a life, as harsh at that sounds), you wouldn't care about this at all because it's literally not worth caring about at all. It's a few words on the internet that don't identify you in any way and have been seen be hardly anyone.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.