Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking for a job for months now by applying online. I only got a couple of interviews (out of hundreds of applications) with no offer. I honestly don't know if there's something wrong with my CV, I had it reviewed a month ago and I corrected some things but still no success. I speak native Spanish and fluent English although I have zero experience... and I live in London btw.

So, seeing that I have no success applying online (I apply mostly to Retail stores), I was wondering if handing the CV at the stores will give me a better chance of getting at least some interviews?

If so, where should I try to do that? Shopping centres?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    You could try handing in your CV in person - if you do this, make sure you give it to the manager. A lot of time, shop staff will forget to do so. Also, if they aren't hiring, you aren't likely to get given a job, but it depends on the shop. A small number of people do have success.

Have you considered other lines of work, like admin or waitressing?

If you lack experience, that is probably the main cause of why you are struggling. Try to get some retail experience - a good idea is to do volunteer work at a local charity shop. You learn the skills necessary for retail - window dressing, store maintenance, customer service, money handling and till work - and you give back to the community.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blisspolaroid)
    It's pretty much the least effective way of getting a job. But, if you are determined to try it, then go round the shopping centre looking for adverts and asking in shops and then go home and make tailored applications to the specific shops that say they have openings.

However, if you aren't getting interviews, then it almost certainly is a problem with your CV. There's a CV Help forum on TSR if you want to start a thread.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.