Why am I so bad at Maths? I feel so stupid :(

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
elsaruus
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
For a long as I can remember, at school, I have had a problem with Maths. I was never "good" at it, stuck in the middle and bottom sets.
Now in year 11, I'm in the third (there are 4, so second to bottom) maths set and I hate it. My class is full off annoying disruptive students who generally don't do too well academically and that is really worsening my self-esteem

I myself am very passionate for English and achieve high grades in the subject, I get 7s (As) in Chemistry and Biology, but Cs in Physics (closely linked to Maths). I am in the top language sets and I consider myself to be good in History and Geography. However, I feel so stupid in every maths lesson! I don't "get" it and I don't know why. I try hard in all of my lessons because I want a 6 (a B) in my GCSE. However, I'm just so scared I won't achieve that grade.
I also really want to study Law at uni, and my dream has always been Oxbridge, but with a lower Maths grade, could I do it?

Maths ruins everything, and it hurts to think that I try and still don't succeed.

I know that people aren't born maths people, but there must be something that causes others to be better at the subject than others.

Any tips on how I can improve? I'm sick of feeling so stupid.
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by elsaruus)
For a long as I can remember, at school, I have had a problem with Maths. I was never "good" at it, stuck in the middle and bottom sets.
Now in year 11, I'm in the third (there are 4, so second to bottom) maths set and I hate it. My class is full off annoying disruptive students who generally don't do too well academically and that is really worsening my self-esteem

I myself am very passionate for English and achieve high grades in the subject, I get 7s (As) in Chemistry and Biology, but Cs in Physics (closely linked to Maths). I am in the top language sets and I consider myself to be good in History and Geography. However, I feel so stupid in every maths lesson! I don't "get" it and I don't know why. I try hard in all of my lessons because I want a 6 (a B) in my GCSE. However, I'm just so scared I won't achieve that grade.
I also really want to study Law at uni, and my dream has always been Oxbridge, but with a lower Maths grade, could I do it?

Maths ruins everything, and it hurts to think that I try and still don't succeed.

I know that people aren't born maths people, but there must be something that causes others to be better at the subject than others.

Any tips on how I can improve? I'm sick of feeling so stupid.
How much studying for maths would you say that you do at home?

Sometimes you won't get what goes on in class, which isn't the end of the world - you just have to grab the textbook, go over the content then practice as many questions as you can until ou get bored. If a particular topic is not clear then use online videos like hegartymaths.

Don't fret, just practice and you will be fine.
Purdy7
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I used to be a genius at maths (teachers words not mine), but now I struggle. I've found in class the people who get it just rush the teacher ahead or try and take her time to see how brilliant they are - growing their own egos. Thus it is best to get the basic down and then work on it away from class.

I'm really worried about the exam but I've only had 4 classes, so I live in hope. Some of it I get really easily while the other stuff I find harder.

My maths teacher said it's usual for someone to be either good at English or maths, not both, well I'm good at the first. I live in hope that I can revise my b*tt off and get a decent grade.

It is also worth looking at different websites and You Tube channels to find ones that you click with. My teacher recommends Corbett, but he just rushes through, so I prefer Techmaths and a few others. One thing about Corbett is that there are plenty of exercises to try with answers later on to check your work.

I've found HCF AND LCM hard to do, but I loved algebra and angles, so it maybe you just have weak points too.
GallagherMan
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hey, man! Don't worry! I can certainly relate to the situation you're in, I've been terrible at Maths since the moment I saw numbers - runs in the family, I guess! XD

I was in bottom set from Year 7 all the way till the start of Year 9, and the sole factor that managed to get me from bottom to middle was revision. Revision, revision, revision. The best way to do this is to take practice papers from the past and try them for yourself. Once you've done, look at the areas in which you need to improve on and revise those areas! There are a lot of online revision sources as well, from YouTube to TSR itself!

A good way to succeed is to come up with ways to remember certain things, for example, with sine, cosine and tangent you can easily remember the method of calculation by using SOHCAHTOA. SOH means SINE = OPPOSITE OVER HYPOTENUSE, etc.

If that doesn't work out for you on your own, there's always additional help you can get from your teachers and your friends, as well as on TSR.

In the hypothetical scenario in which that doesn't work out for you either, you always have the rest of your subjects - which based off of your original post seem to be going brilliantly - to back you up! Besides, if in the very unlikely you don't manage to get that B in Maths, you can still most likely get into law as an A-level or Applied Law as a BTEC because of those other subjects - which I'm sure you're gonna ace!

I wish you all the best! Good luck! I know you can do it!
Imbadatmathscuh
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Yeah bro I’m ass lmao. My teacher doesn’t help me
Lemonadez
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Js but maths is one of those subjects that are favoured by born logical thinkers and not just hard workers. If it's GCSEs, u can still get by with hard work tho.
Purdy7
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
It's just the way it's taught now. I used to excel at maths, but only managed a 4 in the GCSE. How can someone who was seen as a protege in primary school get a low grade GCSE. The only difference is the teaching method.

Find another teacher, or channel on you tube. Do something every day. Make sure you know the basics well, so the pyramid of knowledge has a firm base and then learn upwards.

I hope to do the GCSE again as a private student November 2019, but we shall see.

It is well worth checking your schools/Colleges Ofsted report to see if it is noted for failing in that subject. The report was a real eye opener for me.
Imbadatmathscuh
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Thank you führer
WorryFlurry
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I used to be bad at maths too because my teachers always told me “it wasn’t my strong suit” :/ in primary school but this year i got a 7 in maths I would say what really helped me was making que cards with everything I needed on them so I always had the key things on hand.
YellowYellow2
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Can’t say for gcse but I’m doing the a level in maths and just doing questions from new style textbooks is a big tip. As both gcse and a level changed the textbooks ask you the exam style questions (old gcse textbooks don’t) so if you get through all those exercises, you could easily get a 6! But there is an element of being naturally good at maths, I’m just better at maths than English but there’s no reason why you couldn’t get the 6
Imbadatmathscuh
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by WorryFlurry)
I used to be bad at maths too because my teachers always told me “it wasn’t my strong suit” :/ in primary school but this year i got a 7 in maths I would say what really helped me was making que cards with everything I needed on them so I always had the key things on hand.
(Original post by Khushi.S)
Can’t say for gcse but I’m doing the a level in maths and just doing questions from new style textbooks is a big tip. As both gcse and a level changed the textbooks ask you the exam style questions (old gcse textbooks don’t) so if you get through all those exercises, you could easily get a 6! But there is an element of being naturally good at maths, I’m just better at maths than English but there’s no reason why you couldn’t get the 6
Thanks for the positive vibes fam
Fa.ara
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
dont worry
just try to revise the content ur doing class with revision guide+workbook(practice makes perfect) and if u dont undestand watch youtube vidoes e.g hegartymaths,maths genie etc..
this is how i moved up from set 3 to set 2 then to set 1
Goodluck
elsaruus
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Just an update from me: I have now finished GCSEs and I'm so pleased with my results! I got fours 9s, five 8s and one 6 (if you hadn't guessed, the 6 was in Maths ahah).

I can't believe how insecure I used to be; the solution is simple, just work hard and you'll prove you're decently intelligent.
Berriesandcream
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thanks so much I know this was 3 years ago but this has given me motivation to keep trying. At the moment being in year 9 I have big tests tommorow that decide whether I will get triple science I would really love to do triple science but my math is very bad despite being okay in class it seems tests are just not for me. I had one of the maths tests the other day and I'm pretty sure I got less than half and the next one is meant to be harder. I really don't like the teacher either and I feel like this could be a big part of it as I used to be okay. I am very happy to hear you got great grades for gsce.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.25%
As I expected (24)
30%
Harder (30)
37.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed