Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why am I so bad at Maths? I feel so stupid :( Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    For a long as I can remember, at school, I have had a problem with Maths. I was never "good" at it, stuck in the middle and bottom sets.
    Now in year 11, I'm in the third (there are 4, so second to bottom) maths set and I hate it. My class is full off annoying disruptive students who generally don't do too well academically and that is really worsening my self-esteem

I myself am very passionate for English and achieve high grades in the subject, I get 7s (As) in Chemistry and Biology, but Cs in Physics (closely linked to Maths). I am in the top language sets and I consider myself to be good in History and Geography. However, I feel so stupid in every maths lesson! I don't "get" it and I don't know why. I try hard in all of my lessons because I want a 6 (a B) in my GCSE. However, I'm just so scared I won't achieve that grade.
    I also really want to study Law at uni, and my dream has always been Oxbridge, but with a lower Maths grade, could I do it?

Maths ruins everything, and it hurts to think that I try and still don't succeed.

I know that people aren't born maths people, but there must be something that causes others to be better at the subject than others.

Any tips on how I can improve? I'm sick of feeling so stupid.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elsaruus)
    For a long as I can remember, at school, I have had a problem with Maths. I was never "good" at it, stuck in the middle and bottom sets.
    Now in year 11, I'm in the third (there are 4, so second to bottom) maths set and I hate it. My class is full off annoying disruptive students who generally don't do too well academically and that is really worsening my self-esteem

I myself am very passionate for English and achieve high grades in the subject, I get 7s (As) in Chemistry and Biology, but Cs in Physics (closely linked to Maths). I am in the top language sets and I consider myself to be good in History and Geography. However, I feel so stupid in every maths lesson! I don't "get" it and I don't know why. I try hard in all of my lessons because I want a 6 (a B) in my GCSE. However, I'm just so scared I won't achieve that grade.
    I also really want to study Law at uni, and my dream has always been Oxbridge, but with a lower Maths grade, could I do it?

Maths ruins everything, and it hurts to think that I try and still don't succeed.

I know that people aren't born maths people, but there must be something that causes others to be better at the subject than others.

Any tips on how I can improve? I'm sick of feeling so stupid.
    How much studying for maths would you say that you do at home?

Sometimes you won't get what goes on in class, which isn't the end of the world - you just have to grab the textbook, go over the content then practice as many questions as you can until ou get bored. If a particular topic is not clear then use online videos like hegartymaths.

Don't fret, just practice and you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I used to be a genius at maths (teachers words not mine), but now I struggle. I've found in class the people who get it just rush the teacher ahead or try and take her time to see how brilliant they are - growing their own egos. Thus it is best to get the basic down and then work on it away from class.

I'm really worried about the exam but I've only had 4 classes, so I live in hope. Some of it I get really easily while the other stuff I find harder.

My maths teacher said it's usual for someone to be either good at English or maths, not both, well I'm good at the first. I live in hope that I can revise my b*tt off and get a decent grade.

It is also worth looking at different websites and You Tube channels to find ones that you click with. My teacher recommends Corbett, but he just rushes through, so I prefer Techmaths and a few others. One thing about Corbett is that there are plenty of exercises to try with answers later on to check your work.

I've found HCF AND LCM hard to do, but I loved algebra and angles, so it maybe you just have weak points too.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, man! Don't worry! I can certainly relate to the situation you're in, I've been terrible at Maths since the moment I saw numbers - runs in the family, I guess! XD

I was in bottom set from Year 7 all the way till the start of Year 9, and the sole factor that managed to get me from bottom to middle was revision. Revision, revision, revision. The best way to do this is to take practice papers from the past and try them for yourself. Once you've done, look at the areas in which you need to improve on and revise those areas! There are a lot of online revision sources as well, from YouTube to TSR itself!

A good way to succeed is to come up with ways to remember certain things, for example, with sine, cosine and tangent you can easily remember the method of calculation by using SOHCAHTOA. SOH means SINE = OPPOSITE OVER HYPOTENUSE, etc.

If that doesn't work out for you on your own, there's always additional help you can get from your teachers and your friends, as well as on TSR.

In the hypothetical scenario in which that doesn't work out for you either, you always have the rest of your subjects - which based off of your original post seem to be going brilliantly - to back you up! Besides, if in the very unlikely you don't manage to get that B in Maths, you can still most likely get into law as an A-level or Applied Law as a BTEC because of those other subjects - which I'm sure you're gonna ace!

I wish you all the best! Good luck! I know you can do it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.