The Student Room Group

C4 Partial Fractions?

So there are 2 methods to to partial fractions: substitution and equating coefficients. Will there be certain questions where you literally won't be able to get the answer by using solely one method?
I'm asking because I was doing a question and I couldn't do it by substitution, so I had to use equating coefficients and got the right answer. Was this down to me making a mistake in my method or is this a normal thing?
Original post by AxSirlotl
So there are 2 methods to to partial fractions: substitution and equating coefficients. Will there be certain questions where you literally won't be able to get the answer by using solely one method?

No.

What question did you fail to do by substitution?

EDIT: Substitution doesn't always leave you with a single variable, sometimes you are left with 2 or more, and have to use simultaneously equations to solve for them after the substitutions.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
No.

What question did you fail to do by substitution?

EDIT: Substitution doesn't always leave you with a single variable, sometimes you are left with 2 or more, and have to use simultaneously equations to solve for them after the substitutions.

The question was 7x2+2x2/x2(x+1) 7x^2+2x-2/ x^2(x+1)
I managed to get my numerators as Ax(x+1)+B(x+1)+Cx2 Ax(x+1) + B(x+1) + Cx^2
I don't know how to solve that using substitution (if it's right, which it probably isn't heh)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
The question was
Unparseable latex formula:

7x^2+2x-2\fracx^2(x+1)

I don't know how to solve that using substitution (if it's right, which it probably isn't heh)

Would you not want the denominators to be x, x^2, and (x+1) ??
Reply 4
Original post by moz4rt
Would you not want the denominators to be x, x^2, and (x+1) ??

Those are the ones I used, I kept editing my reply because I couldn't get it to display as a fraction, that's why the denominator isn't shown as what you said it should be (I think).
The question was
Unparseable latex formula:

7x^2+2x-2\fracx^2(x+1)

7x2+2x2x2(x+1)=Ax+Bx+Cx2+Dx+1\displaystyle \frac{7x^2+2x-2}{x^2(x+1)}=\frac{A}{x}+\frac{Bx+C}{x^2}+\frac{D}{x+1}

7x2+2x2=Ax(x+1)+(Bx+C)(x+1)+Dx2\displaystyle \Rightarrow 7x^2+2x-2=Ax(x+1)+(Bx+C)(x+1)+Dx^2

x=0:2=Cx=0 : -2=C

x=1:3=Dx=-1 : 3 = D

Then just pick any other xx

x=1:7=2A+2(B2)+3x=1 : 7 = 2A+2(B-2)+3

x=2:30=6A+3(2B2)+12x=2 : 30 = 6A + 3(2B-2) + 12

And as per my note; solve the last two simultaneously.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by RDKGames
7x2+2x2x2(x+1)=Ax+Bx+Cx2+Dx+1\displaystyle \frac{7x^2+2x-2}{x^2(x+1)}=\frac{A}{x}+\frac{Bx+C}{x^2}+\frac{D}{x+1}

7x2+2x2=Ax(x+1)+(Bx+C)(x+1)+Dx2\displaystyle \Rightarrow 7x^2+2x-2=Ax(x+1)+(Bx+C)(x+1)+Dx^2

x=0:2=Cx=0 : -2=C

x=1:3=Dx=-1 : 3 = D

Then just pick any other xx

x=1:7=2A+2(B2)+3x=1 : 7 = 2A+2(B-2)+3

x=2:30=6A+3(2B2)+12x=2 : 30 = 6A + 3(2B-2) + 12

And as per my note; solve the last two simultaneously.

Okidoki thanks, I think that makes sense. Quick question, why is it Bx+C and not just B?
Reply 7
Okidoki thanks, I think that makes sense. Quick question, why is it Bx+C and not just B?

You don't need Bx+CBx+C, a constant term is fine instead. If you have a factor of the form (ax+b)2(ax+b)^2 in the denominator then the corresponding partial fraction terms have the form

Aax+b+B(ax+b)2\displaystyle \frac{A}{ax+b} + \frac{B}{(ax+b)^2}

So in this case a factor of x2x^2 leads to

Ax+Bx2\displaystyle \frac{A}{x} + \frac{B}{x^2}

Sorry got a bit derailed and didn't mean to use Bx+CBx+C. In this situation, as said above, you just need B. Generally when you're setting these things up you use a polynomial of one order less than the denominator for the numerator, hence my mistake.

Anyway, x=0 and x=-1 give two of the variables, then only one other remains. Plug in x=1 or some other x and rearrange for it.

Alternatively, and this is what I had in mind while responding to you, is that 7x2+2x2x2(x+1)=Ax+Bx2+Cx+1\frac{7x^2+2x-2}{x^2(x+1)}=\frac{Ax+B}{x^2}+ \frac{C}{x+1} works too (and follows the rule I had earlier) to give 4x2x2+3x+1\frac{4x-2}{x^2}+\frac{3}{x+1} which split to give the answer in the terms you're used to. Though you dont use this method at A-Level.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest