Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Very quick IQ test... Watch

• View Poll Results: How many did you get right?
    One Offer
    0%
    Two
    12.50%
    All three
    87.50%
    None
    0%

• Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    The Cognitive Reflection Test (CRT) has been hailed as the world's shortest IQ test.

Apparently, it only takes three questions to separate the Einsteins from the Homer Simpsons of this world.

The quiz, developed in Princeton in 2005 by psychologist Shane Frederick, is designed to test your ability to ignore your gut response and think slower and more rationally. Or in psychology-speak, how good are you at ignoring system 1 (intuition) thinking in favor of system 2 (analytic) thinking? To succeed in the CRT, you must spend time reflecting on your answer and question your intuitive response.

Of course, to prove your genius you must get all three questions correct but speed also matters. Speedier answers is another sign of a higher IQ.

So, how smart are you really? Remember, the questions might not be quite as simple as they first seem. Even students at some of the world's top universities (including Yale and Harvard) failed to get all three answers correct in a 2003 study. In fact, only 17 percent achieved a perfect score.

The Quiz
    1. A bat and a ball cost £1.10 in total. The bat costs £1 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

2. If it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

3. In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of the lake?

The Answers
    Spoiler:
    Show

1) 5p – There's a very good chance you guessed 10p. The answer is actually a little less – a 5p ball plus a bat costing £1.05 will set you back £1.10. And, of course, £1.05 is exactly £1 more expensive than 5p. (A Princeton study found that people who responded 10p were "significantly" less patient than those who got the right answer.)

2) 5 minutes – Your gut instinct might be to say 100 minutes. Fortunately, it wouldn't take quite so long. From the question, we can determine it takes exactly 5 minutes for 1 widget machine to make 1 widget. Therefore, it would take 5 minutes to make 100 widgets from 100 widget machines.

3) 47 days – You might have guessed 24 days. It seems intuitive to half the number of days because you're halving the size of the lilypad patch. But if the area of the lake covered in lilypads doubles every day, it would only take one day for it to go from being half covered to fully covered. Take one day away from 48 days and you're left with 47.

Source: http://www.iflscience.com/brain/prov...rtest-iq-test/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Bit disappointed that only 17% got that in a survey.

Spoiler:
    Show

£0.05 and £1.05

5 minutes since I'm guessing one machine takes 5 minutes to make one so can have 5 making 5 at once

• Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    Bit disappointed that only 17% got that in a survey.

Spoiler:
    Show

£0.05 and £1.05

5 minutes since I'm guessing one machine takes 5 minutes to make one so can have 5 making 5 at once

I got the first one wrong... too impatient!

ReputationRep:
    Got all but maybe you should've held the answers until later

ReputationRep:
    Got them all right, but that's because I've seen 2 and 3 before XD.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    I got the first one wrong... too impatient!
    I answered it in 5 seconds because I've seen it so many times, probably would've taken about 30 seconds to think about it if I hadn't. 2 I had to think about quite a bit since I had to think about how they were being made.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.