Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I am currently in year 13 doing A levels and would appreciate a bit of advice.
    In year 12 I took biology, chemistry, maths and psychology. I dropped Chemistry after a term as I wasn't enjoying it and was finding it difficult to keep up with the level of difficulty. So I was then studying biology, maths and psychology. However, as the year went on biology proved to be a massive problem. No matter how much revision I did i consistently got very poor grades.
    After summer after talking to many teachers I decided to drop biology and do an online A level in Citizenship which is going much better than Biology was.
    In my AS maths exams, despite doing well in past papers prior to the exams, I got an E. As I've been told many times that maths only gets harder, i was very aware that I would need to put in a lot of work to get a better grade at A2. I have found that maths is going okay this year, but i felt it was okay last year but my grade obviously didn't reflect this.
    I recently sent my UCAS tutor my personal statement to read, who said it sounded really sociological and would i like to take A level sociology and drop maths.
    SO MY QUESTION IS:
    Should i drop maths and take sociology?!?! It would mean that i would have to complete the A level in one year as well as doing Citizenship in one year as well. I do feel i would do better in Sociology as I am doing well in Psychology and Citizenship and I am aware that there is overlap in the content covered. I have looked at the specification for sociology and it seems really interesting, i'm just not sure it would be a good idea!

Any Advice would be helpful!
    Thanks

I want to study primary education at university btw!

ReputationRep:
    Doing 2 years of an A-Level in 8 months? I would not risk it.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on whether it is a coupled A level or not. I'm the same age as you, so I'm only going off what I know other people my age are doing who were in similar positions to you.

I know some colleges don't teach AS, and will instead teach the whole A Level content over two years. Obviously, the places that do this teach the content really spread out, but I don't see why not in terms of learning it within a year. Students I know who are doing an A level in 8 months are the humanities students because the content doesn't take as long to teach..

If like you say you're good at Psychology then there shouldn't be a reason why you should particularly struggle with Sociology. It is however a difficult route to take and it will be demanding. But if you think you can do it then you should inquire.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.