Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to study Maths at Bristol but I'm not doing further maths at A-level and feel like I would be at a huge disadvantage
    I do maths a level and am on for an A/A* and can get the grades to get into the course
    Is it a really bad idea to do a maths degree without a further maths a level
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yes because unis will just be like "if you have the desire you study maths at uni why didn't you have the desire to do further maths?"
    Plus most people would have done FM and you'll be very behind with some topics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazza Elli)
    I want to study Maths at Bristol but I'm not doing further maths at A-level and feel like I would be at a huge disadvantage
    I do maths a level and am on for an A/A* and can get the grades to get into the course
    Thanks
    If the course doesn't require F Maths then it should be OK. I always recommend students in this positiion undertake to do some work over the summer so they know some key areas of FM like complex numbers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggypounding 69)
    Yes because unis will just be like "if you have the desire you study maths at uni why didn't you have the desire to do further maths?"
    Plus most people would have done FM and you'll be very behind with some topics
    I know but I'm not worried about getting into the uni because I'm already guaranteed a place as long as I get the grades
    Would it be worth doing a foundation year??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    If the course doesn't require F Maths then it should be OK. I always recommend students in this positiion undertake to do some work over the summer so they know some key areas of FM like complex numbers.
    What would you say are the most important areas to look at?

ReputationRep:
    maybe if you go to a lower ranked uni that has lower entry requirements for maths. for instance I am going to apply to do maths at royal holloway because i believe it will be easier and less stressful. (i don't do further maths either)

ReputationRep:
    I know but I'm not worried about getting into the uni because I'm already guaranteed a place as long as I get the grades
    Would it be worth doing a foundation year??
    Id say yes because you'll get practice with the further maths topics you haven't done at a level.
    The reason why I'm saying this is because I was looking to do maths at uni also but without FM your being thrown into the deep end and you ain't really gonna recover. It's too much for you to handle in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    What would you say are the most important areas to look at?
    Find how many arrive with F Maths - ask the uni. Ask their advice re preparation and look at the first year modules.

Which applied modules will you have done?

ReputationRep:
    A lot will depend on your maths abilities. If you didn't do further maths because you thought it too hard then you will struggle at uni. Further maths will prepare you better for the first few months of uni, otherwise you are playing catch-up on those students who have done further maths. I would guess that most of those going to Bristol have further maths.

ReputationRep:
    You can apply because it isn't always on the application requirements, but I doubt anyone would get on to do a maths degree without further maths. the content covered in further maths is often essential for a maths degree course, and if you did get in you'd fall behind whilst trying to catch up.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    It's not a bad idea. The only advantage I've seen of doing FM is you would have done a few of the basic things you'll cover during a week or two of learning introductory things (or when introduced to specific modules such as Mechanics), plus you get an offer with a grade lower. Another example is that you just get a tad bit more practice. Other than that, it all comes down to your mathematical abilities.

I've met a lot of people who are doing Maths without having done FM at uni that require AAA+, who definitely do not struggle more than those who did FM. You can catch up easily to those who have done FM by studying. It won't make you fall behind your course, just your peers by a small amount.

ReputationRep:
    tbh fam i am in ur position and i decided to do the full FM alevel in one year!!

JOIN ME
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    One of my lecturers says after a while there is no correlation between those who have done further maths or not and progression in the degree, so it would be a good idea if you enjoy maths and want to continue studying it and if Bristol doesn't require FM.

ReputationRep:
    Don’t take my word for it but I believe lots of schools don’t even offer further maths. I don’t think it’s going to be the end of the world if you haven’t done it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    One of the things you can do is look at the STEP support programme from the University of Cambridge. STEP I (and STEP II) are based on A-level maths, but are much more like university maths in style. This will give you practice at applying the knowledge you know in harder questions, and might be a better preparation than trying to learn a load of new stuff?

The Foundation modules are the ones that prepare you for STEP I, and they start off by only assuming GCSE knowledge (which is not to say that they are easy!).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.