Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i know someone who's depressed and i have no f(cking idea how to talk to them about it, they always post self deprecating stuff and the only thing i can think of is im here if you wanna talk but i feel like its not enough. what am i supposed to do? how do i talk to them about it? how do i not sound like i just want to know their business and leave when i genuinely care about them? when do i tell someone else?

Honestly, probably the best thing you can do is cheer them up. Try and get them out to take their mind off things. I've been through bouts of horrible depression and a mate has pestered me to go out - I've not at all felt up to it, but after a lot of persuasion I've said fine, I'll come out but I'm not staying out for long... then before I know it I've had a great day/evening and I feel a lot better once I get home.

ReputationRep:
    Like you've said talking that's one of the best things you can actually do. Depending on how close you both are,
    start by saying tell me how you feel, I'll probably understand how you feel more than you think. Listen to that person, let them talk to you show you care and tell them that you do half the time when people post stuff online about they're depression it's because they want someone to talk to about it. talking to your friend they'll probably really appreciate it. Just keep telling them that, your always going to be here for them and that you won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Honestly, probably the best thing you can do is cheer them up. Try and get them out to take their mind off things. I've been through bouts of horrible depression and a mate has pestered me to go out - I've not at all felt up to it, but after a lot of persuasion I've said fine, I'll come out but I'm not staying out for long... then before I know it I've had a great day/evening and I feel a lot better once I get home.
    but what if you cant and the only way you can try to make them feel better is talking, what should i and shouldnt i say from your experience, also appreciate your help

ReputationRep:
    I went through a similar situation, a friend of mine had anxiety/depression and was suicidal and self harming. One of the main things you can do is just talk to them and be someone they can vent to and someone that will listen. Another thing that helped my friend was talking to another person who had gone through similar things (not me) and also she was good at art and enjoyed painting/drawing so she used that as a bit of a distraction and to relax/channel her negative thoughts into. Eventually we managed to persuade her to go and get some therapy (which she did on her own accord after lots of persuasion) and speak to someone which helped her a lot.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It's nice having someone talk to you everyday lol. Like just make conversation. So they don't feel so lonely.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.