Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need some direction, Royal Holloway/Liverpool. Law at a non Russell Group. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, this is my first time writing on the Student Room so bear with me please. I'm currently studying Law at Royal Holloway University of London, I did have offers from 5 Russell Group Universities, Durham being my firm and was predicted 3 A*'s. However, something clearly went wrong as I achieved ABB instead, so I secured my place through clearing.

Now don't get me wrong, Royal Holloway University of London is a wonderful institution and it really has an 'Oxford vibe' to it, with it's beauty and it's passionate teachers. However, I am aware of the elitism of Law and know the majority of firms only take Russell Groups or top Universities. The entry grades here are AAB but the course is new, the first set of law students here will graduate next year. The University itself is really climbing the rankings too, going up 6 places this year in the times ranking it 28th and I expect it to go higher as the principal has a real drive, determined to get it into the top 20. However, Law itself does not have a ranking here until next year.

I have however achieved ABB, which are the entry requirements for Law at Liverpool. Without being harsh, as i'm sure it's a wonderful University, I am aware that it is known for being the bottom of the Russell Groups. However, it is indeed a Russell Group University with an established Law school, but it is declining in the rankings, being ranked 40th this year. It has lower entry requirements and an overall lower ranking but has the Russell Group badge.

As I want to be a Solicitor/Barrister (and the law school here feel confident that is achievable as it is a Uni of London and they have many links with local firms), I am deeply considering which University would be the best. If any of you could offer me any true, deep thought guidance, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

Dan

ReputationRep:
    its fine

ReputationRep:
    its about your skill...not your past..dw about what uni you went..show in the interviews that you are better than the so called elitists

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by username3381582)
    its about your skill...not your past..dw about what uni you went..show in the interviews that you are better than the so called elitists
    thanks, it is just a worry. I know I was capable of achieving the grades and obviously want to do the best I can.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanJamesG)
    Hello, this is my first time writing on the Student Room so bear with me please. I'm currently studying Law at Royal Holloway University of London, I did have offers from 5 Russell Group Universities, Durham being my firm and was predicted 3 A*'s. However, something clearly went wrong as I achieved ABB instead, so I secured my place through clearing.

Now don't get me wrong, Royal Holloway University of London is a wonderful institution and it really has an 'Oxford vibe' to it, with it's beauty and it's passionate teachers. However, I am aware of the elitism of Law and know the majority of firms only take Russell Groups or top Universities. The entry grades here are AAB but the course is new, the first set of law students here will graduate next year. The University itself is really climbing the rankings too, going up 6 places this year in the times ranking it 28th and I expect it to go higher as the principal has a real drive, determined to get it into the top 20. However, Law itself does not have a ranking here until next year.

I have however achieved ABB, which are the entry requirements for Law at Liverpool. Without being harsh, as i'm sure it's a wonderful University, I am aware that it is known for being the bottom of the Russell Groups. However, it is indeed a Russell Group University with an established Law school, but it is declining in the rankings, being ranked 40th this year. It has lower entry requirements and an overall lower ranking but has the Russell Group badge.

As I want to be a Solicitor/Barrister (and the law school here feel confident that is achievable as it is a Uni of London and they have many links with local firms), I am deeply considering which University would be the best. If any of you could offer me any true, deep thought guidance, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

Dan
    Unless you want to work in Liverpool, no one will really be able to tell the difference between Royal Holloway and Liverpool. The RG badge means very little when comparing these two unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Unless you want to work in Liverpool, no one will really be able to tell the difference between Royal Holloway and Liverpool. The RG badge means very little when comparing these two unis.
    okay thank you, do you think i'll be alright then? I do really like it and I have hope that if I do the relevant leg work and get a first i'll stand in good stead regardless.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanJamesG)
    okay thank you, do you think i'll be alright then? I do really like it and I have hope that if I do the relevant leg work and get a first i'll stand in good stead regardless.
    You will be more than fine. I can't so how changing universities, when they are virtually not that different in terms of "reputation", will have any level of impact. If you were admanant on working in Liverpool only, then there would be some benefit of being geographically closer to where you want to work, and local firms/chambers are more likely to have closer links to local universities.

Yes, Royal Holloway is a new law course and it isn't a RG uni - but the same could be said for York for the first part, and City, SOAS and Reading for the latter. Neither factors have stopped me from recruiting from those universities and I even went to Royal Holloway as a legal recruiter before it had a law faculty!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.