The Student Room Group

Please can someone help? (really need it)

Now today I found out new which has devastated me. That was that I have a very slim chance of doing Physics A-level. I found this devastating because I have a passion for it and really enjoy it and wish to do it in uni. I found out to do so you need grades in subjects I cant even get the required grades in. You need grade 7 for science which I feel confident in, Maths you need a 7 which is a problem and a 6 in English this is also a problem. Maths is a problem because I do foundation for maths and that is restricted up to grade 5. And English because I really struggle and get 2-3's. I don't know what I can do since I can't do A level physics because once you choose that you are forced to do A-level maths and also I can only get a 5 not a 7.

I don't know what I can do as I only have 8-7 months before GCSE's and I fear that I will not be able to do A-level Physics.
Don't take this the wrong way please. But are you sure physics is for you if you struggle (I assume as you do foundation maths)with maths? A-levels is a massive step up from GCSE level, and physics contains a lot of maths the more advanced it gets, even more so if you go on to degree level. Higher levels of maths will be completely unavoidable if you choose to go the physics route at university.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by JustSomeRandomer
Now today I found out new which has devastated me. That was that I have a very slim chance of doing Physics A-level. I found this devastating because I have a passion for it and really enjoy it and wish to do it in uni. I found out to do so you need grades in subjects I cant even get the required grades in. You need grade 7 for science which I feel confident in, Maths you need a 7 which is a problem and a 6 in English this is also a problem. Maths is a problem because I do foundation for maths and that is restricted up to grade 5. And English because I really struggle and get 2-3's. I don't know what I can do since I can't do A level physics because once you choose that you are forced to do A-level maths and also I can only get a 5 not a 7.

I don't know what I can do as I only have 8-7 months before GCSE's and I fear that I will not be able to do A-level Physics.

Work your socks off to improve the Maths and English grade. You will eventually need a 4 at the very least in English - 6 seems a little high for physics, so you might be able to find another sixth form or college with a lower requirement? But certainly Maths is crucial. Ask your teacher for as much help as they're willing to offer, complete as many mock papers as you can, look at where you're dropping marks, ask for help or look online (or ask on TSR!) if there's something you're just not understanding, and work at it till you've nailed the technique. Once you've started making progress (which needs to be as soon as possible), ask about sitting the higher-tier paper. Good luck!
Original post by SophieSmall
Don't take this the wrong way please. But are you sure physics is for you if you struggle (I assume as you do foundation maths)with maths? A-levels is a massive step up from GCSE level, and physics contains a lot of maths the more advanced it gets, even more so if you go on to degree level.

Well quite surprisingly I do not struggle at all with physics and know it requires a lot of maths but that sort of stuff I don't struggle with last test in physics I got an 8 but in maths I got a 4.
Original post by Saoirse:3
Work your socks off to improve the Maths and English grade. You will eventually need a 4 at the very least in English - 6 seems a little high for physics, so you might be able to find another sixth form or college with a lower requirement? But certainly Maths is crucial. Ask your teacher for as much help as they're willing to offer, complete as many mock papers as you can, look at where you're dropping marks, ask for help or look online (or ask on TSR!) if there's something you're just not understanding, and work at it till you've nailed the technique. Once you've started making progress (which needs to be as soon as possible), ask about sitting the higher-tier paper. Good luck!

Ok thank you for the advice!
Well quite surprisingly I do not struggle at all with physics and know it requires a lot of maths but that sort of stuff I don't struggle with last test in physics I got an 8 but in maths I got a 4.

What I'm getting at is that the maths in physics A level is far more advanced than anything you would be doing now. And in university it will magnitudes more advanced.

I'm not trying to put you down, but if you're struggling in maths GCSE, I just don't see how you will cope with physics at an advanced level.

I think you should speak to your teachers about this, especially your physics teacher.

I wish you the best of luck, and I do hope you find a way to improve your maths and not struggle.
Reply 6
Don't take this the wrong way please. But are you sure physics is for you if you struggle (I assume as you do foundation maths)with maths? A-levels is a massive step up from GCSE level, and physics contains a lot of maths the more advanced it gets, even more so if you go on to degree level. Higher levels of maths will be completely unavoidable if you choose to go the physics route at university.

This is true the maths involved gets more and more prominent and complicated the higher up you go with physics. Maths and physics are two subjects that just go together and i doubt that you can study physics at university without having high grades in maths/ a maths a level.

Sorry.

If you work really hard you could always get to the level that's needed in maths and english

Good luck
What I'm getting at is that the maths in physics A level is far more advanced than anything you would be doing now. And in university it will magnitudes more advanced.

I'm not trying to put you down, but if you're struggling in maths GCSE, I just don't see how you will cope with physics at an advanced level.

I think you should speak to your teachers about this, especially your physics teacher.

I wish you the best of luck, and I do hope you find a way to improve your maths and not struggle.

Ok thank you
Reply 8

Physics is quite different once you reach A levels and requires a lot more maths. I know it sucks, but physics may not be the best option for you moving forwards.
That said, maths as a subject involves a lot more stuff than is required in a lot of subjects, so you could still be alright.

If you do really want to do physics then I suggest you have a talk to the college you would be going to and see if you can get a better idea of what it would involve (especially in terms of maths) and see if there would be any chance of you getting in without the required grades.

It may also be worth seeing if a maths teacher at your school could give you some extra help or if you could get a tutor. If you manage to boost yourself up enough your school may let you change to full maths or you may be able to work something out with the college.
Ditto with English- see if you can get some extra help.

Honestly though, if you do struggle with maths Alevel physics may not be the best fit for you. Are there any other subjects you have a passion for or could be interested in? It may be worth seeing if you can find another subject now so you aren't so let down if physics doesn't work out.

Quick Reply

Latest