Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got into university through clearing, and was put onto an engineering foundation degree that will progress onto the degree I want. But I have asked to be transferred straight into year one of mechanical engineering, it was approved by all the right people but the head of admissions isn't letting me because I'm 8 UCAS points off the requirements. I don't know what to do because I've checked the syllabus and its everything I covered in A levels. I feel like I'll be wasting a year if I carry on with the foundation year.

ReputationRep:
    **** that guy-nothing you can really do though, maybe email the man see if hes a nice guy and will change his mind

ReputationRep:
    I've had a meeting with him and said I'm not fully qualified to go into the degree, so I have to stay regardless of if I know my stuff or not. So I'm wondering if there;s anyway I can go to someone else who can persuade him, without making me look like I'm above the course or there to start trouble.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popcorn-penguin)
    I've had a meeting with him and said I'm not fully qualified to go into the degree, so I have to stay regardless of if I know my stuff or not. So I'm wondering if there;s anyway I can go to someone else who can persuade him, without making me look like I'm above the course or there to start trouble.
    Have you spoken to the Head of the Engineering department? Although to be honest if the head of admissions has taken that view then that's probably where the buck stops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popcorn-penguin)
    I got into university through clearing, and was put onto an engineering foundation degree that will progress onto the degree I want. But I have asked to be transferred straight into year one of mechanical engineering, it was approved by all the right people but the head of admissions isn't letting me because I'm 8 UCAS points off the requirements. I don't know what to do because I've checked the syllabus and its everything I covered in A levels. I feel like I'll be wasting a year if I carry on with the foundation year.
    Not really anything you can do as it is the head of admissions that has the final say. Tbh if you didnt meet the entry requirements for 1st year and the admissions tutor doesnt think you should go onto 1st year rn then maybe they think you need to improve first. Just because the foundation year covers the same content doesnt mean you dont have plenty of room to improve

Your other option is not do the foundation year and go somewhere else where you do meet the entry requirements

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.