The Student Room Group

Choosing a College

Any advice on choosing a college for maths?
Would an open application put me at a disadvantage?
Original post by Cluster1
Any advice on choosing a college for maths?
Would an open application put me at a disadvantage?

Shortlist the ones with a decent number of students or whatever other criteria you feel necessary, eg kings if you’re a massive communist. Go to as many of those colleges as you can on an open day, you’ll get the feel of the colleges and know which one is right for you
Reply 2
Original post by D3LLI5
Shortlist the ones with a decent number of students or whatever other criteria you feel necessary, eg kings if you’re a massive communist. Go to as many of those colleges as you can on an open day, you’ll get the feel of the colleges and know which one is right for you

Are any notoriously hard to get into for maths? Or easier lol
Original post by Cluster1
Are any notoriously hard to get into for maths? Or easier lol

Trinity has lots of mathmos but it has a reputation of being the best college for it, so I imagine it might be a bit more difficult. In general small, poor and less central colleges are easier to get into, though you would probably get pooled there anyway if you applied to a rich, large, central college and deserve a place
Original post by D3LLI5
Trinity has lots of mathmos but it has a reputation of being the best college for it, so I imagine it might be a bit more difficult. In general small, poor and less central colleges are easier to get into, though you would probably get pooled there anyway if you applied to a rich, large, central college and deserve a place

It's not easier to get into one college than another. Sure, you might be less likely to get into your first choice college if said college is a particularly popular one, but it won't affect your overall chances of getting into the university - hence the existence of the pool system. Admissions tutors can also see the stats for every single applicant from day one, so they know how their applicants compare across everyone who applied that year.

OP: Check out https://www.applytocambridge.com - it has pages on every college, written by the students. College choice isn't too important - they're more similar than different. Things you might want to consider is the location in Cambridge, or the kind of architecture or number of students (but these aren't really that important). Bear in mind some colleges might have college a distance from the main site, particularly the central colleges. You won't be disadvantaged in putting in an open application, but it makes it more likely you'll be allocated to a more undersubscribed college.
Original post by Paralove
It's not easier to get into one college than another. Sure, you might be less likely to get into your first choice college if said college is a particularly popular one

Hmmm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending